How to get a change of visa if pattaya immigration don't give you one?

Sorry I should have mentioned , it may help that the requirements were different from Pattaya , the focus is more on proof of an income as well the available funds, so here is a list of the documents they took from me :

1) the application form , which is different to the TM86 but can be had from their website , (I had my sister in law sign as a native guarantor but not sure if its necessary)

2) 2 recent photographs

2) the fee is 300 MYR submitted with the application

3) the original pension letter from the UK consulate in BKK , (not certified by MAFI and over 6 weeks old)

4) a pension statement as back up to the pension letter

5) a salary statement from my own company accounts to support the income total on the pension letter

6) Letter from my bank branch verifying my bank balance ,( 5 days old )

7) A copy of my bankbook , with a transaction on the date of the letter .

8) copy of my passport

9) copy of my original visa

10) copy of my extension stamp

11) copy of my condo rental agreement

13 original passpport

I applied on the Tuesday , hours of application are only between 0900 and 1130

I received it on the Wednesday at 1400 , the hours for collection are 1400 to 1600

THE was no queue when I submitted my application on the Tuesday , and about 7 people ahead of me on the pick up .

There was no interview , the only question I was asked was if they could keep the original pension letter .

Again I am no expert and have no idea if what they took is the official requirement. , I went in belt and braces and the above lists what they took.

I hope this helps rather confuses .

Rgds

Ian

• Like 1

On 3/29/2017 at 6:02 AM, nosguitar said:

Sorry I should have mentioned , it may help that the requirements were different from Pattaya , the focus is more on proof of an income as well the available funds, so here is a list of the documents they took from me :

1) the application form , which is different to the TM86 but can be had from their website , (I had my sister in law sign as a native guarantor but not sure if its necessary)

2) 2 recent photographs

2) the fee is 300 MYR submitted with the application

3) the original pension letter from the UK consulate in BKK , (not certified by MAFI and over 6 weeks old)

4) a pension statement as back up to the pension letter

5) a salary statement from my own company accounts to support the income total on the pension letter

6) Letter from my bank branch verifying my bank balance ,( 5 days old )

7) A copy of my bankbook , with a transaction on the date of the letter .

8) copy of my passport

9) copy of my original visa

10) copy of my extension stamp

11) copy of my condo rental agreement

13 original passpport

I applied on the Tuesday , hours of application are only between 0900 and 1130

I received it on the Wednesday at 1400 , the hours for collection are 1400 to 1600

THE was no queue when I submitted my application on the Tuesday , and about 7 people ahead of me on the pick up .

There was no interview , the only question I was asked was if they could keep the original pension letter .

Again I am no expert and have no idea if what they took is the official requirement. , I went in belt and braces and the above lists what they took.

I hope this helps rather confuses .

Rgds

Ian

Thank you for posting this detailed list.

I will be in the EXACT same situation in a few months needing a 'visa change' in Pattaya from a SETV to NON-O.

Needless to say, I'll be either going to Penang or using an agent based on your experiences.

• 2 months later...
On 2/9/2017 at 3:29 PM, ubonjoe said:

they don't want to do them

not doubting you in the slightest; it does seem however that the whims. the attitudes,of thai immigration personnel  is like a dark cloud hanging over all expats

• Like 1

You were trying to "jump the queue " by going directly from a Tourist visa to a non O visa.

As Ubinjoe said above the usual process is to go somewhere and get a 90 day Non O Visa, and use that time to establish your financial requirements and then EXTEND that 90 day Non O for one year for a retirement visa/extension.

It is a two step process at least, and it can be done that way.

By trying to "jump the queue" as described  above you raised suspicions at immigration

• Like 1

3 hours ago, IMA_FARANG said:

You were trying to "jump the queue " by going directly from a Tourist visa to a non O visa.

As Ubinjoe said above the usual process is to go somewhere and get a 90 day Non O Visa, and use that time to establish your financial requirements and then EXTEND that 90 day Non O for one year for a retirement visa/extension.

By trying to "jump the queue" as described  above you raised suspicions at immigration

There is a documented process to "Convert" a TR visa into a Non-Imm visa at a Thai immigration office.  I have a sheet from the front desk at Jomtien that outlines the specific requirements.  The origin of this sheet, handed out at Jomtien, is the Bangkok office.

The way it works is, they issue you a 90-day Non-O, which is immediately stamped "used" - then, in the last 30 days of that new 90-day permit-of-stay, you request your 1-year extension.   The cost of the initial 90-day Non-O is 2000 Baht (same as at a consulate), and the extension is 1900 Baht.  Total cost for both should be 3900 Baht.  Jomtien Immigration has an officer in charge of conversions who is purportedly (per several reports) not doing her job, unless you pay her 16,000 Baht - even if you have all the required documentation.

The "workaround" to this problem is to pay 12,100 Baht extra (with no-receipt) at Jomtien, or go out to a nearby consulate for your initial Non-O.

Edited by JackThompson
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, IMA_FARANG said:

He was not trying to jump any queue he was informed by Ubinjoe that you can get a 90 day Category-O visa from the pattaya immigration from a tourist visa. Then he would wait until the last 30 days or before to apply for the extension to 1 year. As we have informed you in our thread this can not be done as the lady in that immigration does not want to give you one as she wants you to go to a visa agent. With all that has happened in his per-suites of this 90 day Category-O visa we have come to understand that he should have gone to a visa agent that was not charging the earth to get one in the first place. But after all this problems he has everything he wants now 1 year extension was a breeze and a multi- exit visa to boot so all is well that ends well.  So if anyone wants any advice about trying to obtain this 90 day Category-O visa I would not go to pattaya immigration just to get the run around you just find a cheap visa agent to do it or go to Penang. I do hope this tread will help other people.

Regards 

Scotsman

• Like 2

On 6/24/2017 at 9:10 AM, JackThompson said:

There is a documented process to "Convert" a TR visa into a Non-Imm visa at a Thai immigration office.  I have a sheet from the front desk at Jomtien that outlines the specific requirements.  The origin of this sheet, handed out at Jomtien, is the Bangkok office.

The way it works is, they issue you a 90-day Non-O, which is immediately stamped "used" - then, in the last 30 days of that new 90-day permit-of-stay, you request your 1-year extension.   The cost of the initial 90-day Non-O is 2000 Baht (same as at a consulate), and the extension is 1900 Baht.  Total cost for both should be 3900 Baht.  Jomtien Immigration has an officer in charge of conversions who is purportedly (per several reports) not doing her job, unless you pay her 16,000 Baht - even if you have all the required documentation.

The "workaround" to this problem is to pay 12,100 Baht extra (with no-receipt) at Jomtien, or go out to a nearby consulate for your initial Non-O.

Precisely my experience last week.
I posted my bewilderment about being asked to pay 16,000 baht when my previous experience was as described above, issued a non "O" visa and returned later for the extension, 3,900 baht total.

Somebody then asked "Was it a woman located..." and described exactly who and where.
This particular officer indicated that my US Embassy notarized income affidavit is not sufficient, and that I would have to go to Bkk Foreign Affairs office to have it additionally stamped there, and the part of same which states my address is no longer sufficient, but I must get my landlord's complete CV, including copies of his/her ID card, house book, etc. I also attempted to submit my address affidavit from the embassy which has been represented as sufficient to attain a Thai driver's license, buy or sell a vehicle, etc., but she said no good.
My question is if this particular officer is a unique impediment who can be bypassed by going to Laos, etc., for the initial type "O" non-immigrant visa and subsequent return to Jomtien for the extension?
Does either  Ventianne or Savannakhet accept the Embassy income and residence address affidavits for a non "O" visa?
Thanks for any current information. 

On 6/24/2017 at 9:10 AM, JackThompson said:

The experience of the OP's brother is precisely the experience of many newly arrived retirees in Chiang Mai.  Yes, in theory, it's possible to arrive in Thailand with visa-exempt or a TR visa and apply for an 90-day non-immigrant O visa as a first step toward obtaining a one-year retirement extension in several provinces in Thailand, including Jomtien and Chiang Mai.  However, like Jomtien, newbie retirees who attempt this in Chiang Mai are meet with roadblock after roadblock at the local immigration office, until they either realize they should hire a visa agent or go off to apply for a visa in a neighboring country.  Contrary to the OP's fears, most seem to have good experience in Vientiane.  

It seems that the only people successful in doing in-country conversion recently are a few hapless elderly people, on the verge of dementia and/or with physical problems, who have been resident here for years with retirement extensions, but left the country for a trip without obtaining a re-entry permit.  They return and enlist the help of a friend to help them "reapply" for their "retirement visa".  The friend applies through the special "Fast Track" that Chiang Mai immigration has for people over age 70, handicapped, etc.  They don't publicize this service well and when people apply, CM Immigration makes a big deal about how they're being so compassionate, taking photos that they forward to the applicant's Consulate/Embassy, etc.  Showing how they really aren't out to take advantage of Chiang Mai's many elderly retirees.  

Meanwhile, the elderly queue up at 5 am every morning to obtain what is perceived as a limited number of queue tickets for retirement extensions processing for the day and no one from Immigration offers "Fast Track" service to the people over age 70 in that queue.

• Like 1

"The experience of the OP's brother is precisely the experience of many newly arrived retirees in Chiang Mai.  Yes, in theory, it's possible to arrive in Thailand with visa-exempt or a TR visa and apply for an 90-day non-immigrant O visa as a first step toward obtaining a one-year retirement extension in several provinces in Thailand, including Jomtien and Chiang Mai.  However, like Jomtien, newbie retirees who attempt this in Chiang Mai are meet with roadblock after roadblock at the local immigration office, until they either realize they should hire a visa agent or go off to apply for a visa in a neighboring country.  Contrary to the OP's fears, most seem to have good experience in Vientiane."

My first time around was no sweat. I had a thirty day exempt "on arrival" from Kuala Lumpur,  I went there because I was one day late on my 60 day tourist visa and had to exit the Kingdom.
I did the conversion in Bkk, where they allowed me to change my address on the application back to my Bkk address... I had put down the address I was moving to in Chonburi, but still had my condo rental in Bkk.
I was appalled at the obstruction at the Jomtien office.  I had missed my date due to several days at hospital for IV antibiotic treatment of a staph infection, and went to Cambodia to get another 30 day exempt stamp. 
The attempt to do the familiar was rebuffed here at Chonburi immigration.
Preparing to go to Ventiane or Savannkhet for the 90 day visa.
I am disabled, but there was certainly no "expedited" service offered!

I am sure that your US Embasy pension letter and Address will be accepted at a outside of Thailand consulate. In Penang they were very nice and accepted my brothers UK pension letter and rental contract as proof of address. Good luck with application .

regards 

Scotsman

• Like 1

• 11 months later...
On 2/9/2017 at 2:51 PM, ubonjoe said:

He could get a single entry non-o visa at the embassy in Vientiane Laos for being 50 or over. Bank book and letter from the bank or a income letter from the embassy would be all that is needed.

I felt I should mention that when I made my trip to the embassy in Vientiane, Laos, three years ago, they did ask for extra verification of income, despite my US Embassy letter. Fortunately, I had some documentation from Social Security, my state retirement and my annuity disbursement. I don't know if they always ask for it but they did in my case. You can't go wrong by having MORE documentation than you need.

55 minutes ago, KhunFred said:

I felt I should mention that when I made my trip to the embassy in Vientiane, Laos, three years ago, they did ask for extra verification of income, despite my US Embassy letter. Fortunately, I had some documentation from Social Security, my state retirement and my annuity disbursement. I don't know if they always ask for it but they did in my case. You can't go wrong by having MORE documentation than you need.

Much better to use Savannakhet, these days.  Vientiane will want more paperwork.  Both will require an embassy-letter and bank-book, even if only one or the other is being used to meet the financials.