BANGKOK 23 April 2019 05:22

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

webfact

"Double" charging of foreign tourists is killing our business, say Krabi long tail boat operators

"Double" charging of foreign tourists is killing our business, say Krabi long tail boat operators

3a.JPEG

Picture: Manager Online

KRABI: -- Boat operators in the south of Thailand have said that charging foreign tourists ten times more than Thais at marine national parks is killing their business.

The long tail boatmen working at Ao Nang say that ever since the park insisted on charging foreigners 400 baht to visit, their trade has plummeted by as much as 60%, reported Manager Online.

Foreign adults pay 400 baht and foreign children 200.But Thais pay just 40 baht and 20 respectively.

Yesterday the Kamnan of Ao Nang and representatives of the long tail operators went to the park office in Krabi town to request the fees for foreign tourists be lowered.

They think that reducing the fees to 200 for adults and 100 for children would be reasonable and would lead to the return of the tourists.

A spokesman for the Had Noparat Thara - Koh Phi Phi park said that the complaint had been received. Fees could not be adjusted at a local level but they would pass on the request to head office for consideration.

The complainants also said that speedboats in the area were also feeling the pinch as foreigners decided that $11-12 was too much to pay. And there was resentment when foreigners realized that locals were paying only a fraction of this fee themselves.

Source: Manager Online

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-02-10

Fortunately they've made enough already to pay for their own funeral! Rest in Shame!

Smile!

It is a victory for green environmentalists!

They do that everywhere in the world: pass some law to blow up the costs immensely, and then frustrated people stay away while business owners can only sit and cry.

Was always annoying the dual pricing living in Thailand. As a holiday maker now I'll give Krabi a miss along with Koh Tao for obvious reasons. Had an argument with her when I had to pay 200 thb for Samet, she didn't understand it's the principle and not the cost. 

2 hours ago, webfact said:

Foreign adults pay 400 baht and foreign children 200.But Thais pay just 40 baht and 20 respectively.

They think that reducing the fees to 200 for adults and 100 for children would be reasonable

love it! They still think it is reasonable to charge foreigners only 5 times more instead of 10 times more. Personally i rarely go into anything if they charge me more than a Thai, especially if they try to be tricky and write the Thai price in Thai script.

I know that is against our western sensibilities to pay more but a little bit more wouldn't be unreasonable   Let's not forget Thai people rarely have the chance to travel overseas as us westerners do. 

9 minutes ago, scubachild said:

I know that is against our western sensibilities to pay more but a little bit more wouldn't be unreasonable   Let's not forget Thai people rarely have the chance to travel overseas as us westerners do. 

The filthy rich Thais in their Benz pay also the same rate as the 'poor' Thai, how does that make sense?
Thai middle class is on the rise, dual pricing doesn't make sense, but it seems state sponsored in Thailand. When will they wake up and smell the coffee?

well it seems some Thais have started to "smell the coffee" lets hope its a growing trend.

15 minutes ago, scubachild said:

So what if they choose not to travel.  You are condoning a dual pricing schema which once people truly understand it many choose to vote with their feet as these boat operators are experiencing. 

Good job to all who refuse to accept the blatant form of discrimination. 

I really don't mind if my 400 baht is spent on Burberry uniforms for park officials.....:coffee1:

2 hours ago, Suttisan said:

Was always annoying the dual pricing living in Thailand. As a holiday maker now I'll give Krabi a miss along with Koh Tao for obvious reasons. Had an argument with her when I had to pay 200 thb for Samet, she didn't understand it's the principle and not the cost. 

Had the same problem in pattaya years ago, the cost did not bother me but when they charged my then wife 50 bht and me 200 i said no on principal.

I hope all the businesses collapse, serves them right for being greedy

30 minutes ago, scubachild said:

Strange way of thinking. Thai people don't travel, so we must pay a little more? 10 times is not a little. 1 time is too much.