Jump to content

Thai Navy to the rescue as massive rubbish slick creeps north


webfact

Recommended Posts

Navy to the rescue as massive rubbish slick creeps north

 

2p.jpg

Picture: Thairath

 

CHUMHON: -- The governor of Chumporn province has called in the navy for assistance as a massive ten kilometer rubbish slick crept up the Gulf of Thailand on Thursday.

 

The slick - ten kilometers long and full of plastic rubbish - had been spotted by fishermen on Wednesday and was widely reported and commented upon in Thai social media, reported Thairath.

 

Chumporn governor Narong Phonla-iat contacted the Region One navy command to carry out a survey after the slick was seen in Chumporn Bay.

 

Area navy commander Surasak Metyapha said that a Dornier aircraft was sent to investigate and found that the slick had widened and started to break up in the area off the coast of Bang Saphan, Prajuab Khirikhan province.

 

It was now located four nautical miles from Koh Talu and about 8 miles offshore.

 

The Chumporn governor is co-ordinating efforts from many agencies in the state and private sector to attempt to collect the floating

rubbish. Navy ships and divers are also expected to be involved in the clear-up campaign.

 

And an investigation is underway to discover the source of the rubbish to prevent such events in the future.

 

Earlier in the week a leading academic in Bangkok slammed the Thai people as some of the worst sea polluters on the planet saying that irresponsible ditching of rubbish is causing untold damage to the environment and marine life.

 

The Kasetsart University academic called the Thais the "fifth worst sea polluters on the planet".

 

Source: Thairath

 
tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-02-10
Link to post
Share on other sites
A good deed.  Many will be happy.  Hope there will be some well deserved accolades for a job well done. 

Some commemorative medals and a fleet of submarines fitted with flotsam skimmers instead of torpedoes ?
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, webfact said:

Navy to the rescue as massive rubbish slick creeps north

 

Use that giant vacuum cleaner they use to clean the aircraft carrier? The one that gobbled up all the planes on its flight deck?

:coffee1:

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just 2 weeks ago, i saw documentary about plastic. IN which was told we dump  8 million tons/year of plastic in the oceans !!

So question is, who the <deleted> is doing that?! I guess it must be some criminal (mobs) organizations, getting rich on waist disposals.

As 8 million tons !!! every year !!! IT is not just a plastic bag . Can you imagine the volume of it ?!

There are very big islands of plastic floating in the oceans, but ok no one seems to care and start investigations.

Maybe this one is from Koh Samui, as their incinerator broke down and of course not being fixed. Or did  they now?

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, webfact said:

And an investigation is underway to discover the source of the rubbish to prevent such events in the future.

 

Should be interesting. Finger pointing rants but on the other hand could be part of an ecological tour.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

time to ban the plastic bags for every item bought in any thai shop i have used my own bag here for the last 3 years for my shopping and always refuse a carrier bag and my wife is the same now 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, webfact said:

'... a massive ten kilometer rubbish slick crept up the Gulf of Thailand on Thursday.

That is hardly a surprise. But the navy, once in possession of a Chinese sub, could give it the few months needed to spring a few leaks, then scuttle it with rubbish inside.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jim walker said:

time to ban the plastic bags for every item bought in any thai shop i have used my own bag here for the last 3 years for my shopping and always refuse a carrier bag and my wife is the same now 

Was she easy to win over??

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Sphere said:

 

Use that giant vacuum cleaner they use to clean the aircraft carrier? The one that gobbled up all the planes on its flight deck?

:coffee1:

If the thing gobbles up to fast it could sink the carrier from sheer weight of plastic refuse. Its a case of Merrily we roll along until a catastrophe happens then we come to a full stop. Thailand does not stand alone on the lack of maintenance part. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, xtrnuno41 said:

Just 2 weeks ago, i saw documentary about plastic. IN which was told we dump  8 million tons/year of plastic in the oceans !!

So question is, who the <deleted> is doing that?! I guess it must be some criminal (mobs) organizations, getting rich on waist disposals.

As 8 million tons !!! every year !!! IT is not just a plastic bag . Can you imagine the volume of it ?!

There are very big islands of plastic floating in the oceans, but ok no one seems to care and start investigations.

Maybe this one is from Koh Samui, as their incinerator broke down and of course not being fixed. Or did  they now?

 

"So question is, who the <deleted> is doing that?! I guess it must be some criminal (mobs) organizations, getting rich on waist disposals."

 

Not that really, it's that practically every human on the planet behaves badly towards his nest - he/she s**ts in it. We humans do that, it's how we are. Eventually lots of it finds it's way into the sea.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Is there not a mechanized craft that could skim that crap up. If not then maybe someone could design one. It would be a good money maker.

I am sure someone could come up with a good idea. Just a thought.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Beats56 said:

Is there not a mechanized craft that could skim that crap up. If not then maybe someone could design one. It would be a good money maker.

I am sure someone could come up with a good idea. Just a thought.

There are some existing ideas from the USA, UK, Germany and S. Korea to mention a few nations.

http://www.floatinghorizon.org/3rd-party-concepts.html

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Beats56 said:

Is there not a mechanized craft that could skim that crap up. If not then maybe someone could design one. It would be a good money maker.

I am sure someone could come up with a good idea. Just a thought.

We are not to far away from the fact that someone will be forced to design one. The ocean is like a house it must be cleaned from time to time to keep it viable. Sadly we do not know the meaning of the word. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...