Samui residents: Bangkok airways are a rip off!

rooster59

15 minutes ago, SaintLouisBlues said:

"boutique" and "organic" are excuses to charge more, just as "aerobics" is simply a pretentious name for doing exercises (trying doing anaerobic exercises if you don't believe me - they'll kill you (literally), unless you're a UK Tory politician)

Yeah...guess I'd have to be British to get that fully.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They raised two issues. First the cost. Second the noise pollution. 

In theory, if they reduced the cost of tickets, the airline may increase the number of flights to cater for the increased capacity. 

A double edged sword!

But the again, the residents could possibly reap the rewards for 'double' pricing the newly landed passengers and not giving a fudge for over capacity or noise pollution!

The sword is blunt!

1 hour ago, FitnessHealthTravel said:

Bangkok Airways own the lease on the Koh Samui Airport and have upgraded it to one of the nicest small Airports in Asia. They also offer free food and drinks in their free lounges. They call themselves 'Boutique' as in 'Asia Boutique Airlines' and this here seems to means 'charge more' a little like the local fruit shop calling themselves 'Organic' when they aren't really. They have to pay for the Airport and all the goodies they give away.  Yes it is outrageous but until their lease runs out on the Airport I can't see them reducing cost too much.

The Govt control the airspace regardless of who owns what on the ground...

3 hours ago, Tchooptip said:

Most Thai people I know in Samui are taking the boat to Surat Thani airport!

I think I know what you mean, but I think the journey also includes a one and a half hour road journey! Or is there a canal between Donsak and Surat Thani Airport? 

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

It was the responsibility of the government several years ago, when their lease on the airport was up for renewal (contrary to popular opinion they do not own the airport, they lease the land from the government, and built the airport) they should have brought in other airlines, to compete with these monopolists (on the Samui-Bangkok route). They are absolute scalpers. A total boycott is in order, for this route. When I used to live on Samui, I would fly out of Surat airport. I paid between 200 baht (during the special deals) up to 900 baht, for Surat-Bangkok. It takes a few hours to get to the airport. But, it was worth it, just to be able to say no to BA. They are a decent airline. Nothing great. 

"They are absolute scalpers." AGREED 100%!

3 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

It was the responsibility of the government several years ago, when their lease on the airport was up for renewal (contrary to popular opinion they do not own the airport, they lease the land from the government, and built the airport) they should have brought in other airlines, to compete with these monopolists (on the Samui-Bangkok route). They are absolute scalpers. A total boycott is in order, for this route. When I used to live on Samui, I would fly out of Surat airport. I paid between 200 baht (during the special deals) up to 900 baht, for Surat-Bangkok. It takes a few hours to get to the airport. But, it was worth it, just to be able to say no to BA. They are a decent airline. Nothing great. 

Too late to edit original post, so partly duplicated! :-

"They are absolute scalpers." AGREED 100%!

And personally, I don't care a jot about Bangkok Airways problems with their lease or running costs, in the same way  as I would not care a jot about someone who tried to charge me double or triple the normal price for a hamburger because they were leasing the cooker, and didn't own it!

And yes - I also  would rather spend a little extra time flying in and out of Surat on one of the "no frills" airlines just to stick a finger up to BA, and frequently do.

As a previous poster said, now that tourist figures are down (Sorry TAT - I don't believe you today, yesterday, or tomorrow!) they should make their prices a bit more competitive. Even with a Resident's Card, the price between BKK and USM is outrageous compared to their prices for flights elsewhere, so for tourists, it's even more expensive - their problem is that many of them are on a tight time frame/schedule, and just want to get to and from their chosen destination ASAP.

The trip from Amsterdam to Bangkok and return is about 20.000 km and cost about € 600

The trip Bangkok to Samui and return is  about 1200 km and wil cost you about € 190

So Bangkok airway's is about 16 times more expensieve than other flight company's?

:sorry:but we have or cost:smile:

I cannot understand ANYONE here defending Bangkok Airways. They offer the EXACT SAME service as Airasia, same comfortable seats, mostly new planes (Airasia ones are actually newer and they don't use the propeller type). So what do you get?

A theoretical Airfare of 500-2000 Baht with Airasia (plus Luggage and seat selection, 400 Baht)

or a freaking 3,500-6000 Baht airfare with Bangkok Airways where the only real extra here is a free coke and a chicken sandwich on a 50 minute flight.

Anyone defending this has to be out their minds. It is simply a monopoly, greed and a rip-off... nothing "boutique" about this!

Just a reminder: In Europe, one hour flights are a fraction of the cost, often starting at 10 euros (370 Baht) including tax.

5 hours ago, isaanpaul said:

The trip from Amsterdam to Bangkok and return is about 20.000 km and cost about € 600

The trip Bangkok to Samui and return is  about 1200 km and wil cost you about € 190

So Bangkok airway's is about 16 times more expensieve than other flight company's?

Per mile they're somewhere between the Space Shuttle and Concorde!

14 hours ago, isaanpaul said:

Correct. It is actually 460km, by air, from Samui to Bangkok. It is a travesty, what this succession of indifferent governments have allowed for all of these years. It is an abomination. A boil on the face of Thailand. Anything that any of us can do to deny Bangkok Air even one ticket sale, is a benefit to humanity, to Thailand, and especially to the tourists and ex-pats that they inflict their monopolistic practices on.

It is a long trip to Surat. It requires a 90 minute boat ride, which is fairly pleasant, and then about a 90 minute ride from Don Sak, to the airport. Also, sometimes the flight times are not that convenient, for the trip. So, it requires an overnight stay in Surat. Usually, you can take the 1pm or 2pm flight back, and get back to Samui the same day. For me, and my Thai wife, it was worth it. The savings was substantial (usually about 12,000 baht per trip), and the satisfaction of denying the pirates their take was really a great feeling. Air Asia is a perfectly fine airline, as long as you know what you are getting. Also, another trick to saving money with Air Asia, is to print out your boarding pass in advance. That way they do not weigh your carry on. Mine is almost always over the 7 kg limit. You just proceed directly to the gate. Nobody ever checks your bag there, as long as it is not oversized. So, you get free baggage. The trick to Air Asia is to avoid paying for anything extra. I have flown for as little as 200 baht from Surat to BKK. Super sales. Booked long in advance. 

14 hours ago, isaanpaul said:

Cheapest ticket on Thai airways to Phnom Pehn return is 200 USD, or approx 190 euro (the same ) and the distance is 540 km, or 1080 return (about the same)

So I dont understand the  comparison. Besides, its cheaper to go further so really the logic is flawed.

23 hours ago, GreasyFingers said:

When I was a once a year tourist going to Samui the Bankok Air flight from Phuket was almost half the price as that from Bangkok. Same airline and about the same distance. It was also cheaper to fly to Phuket from Bangkok than it was to fly to Samui. Yes, it was and is a rip-off.

Uh - are you really sure?  You might want to check that again.  Google maps tells me that Bangkok to Phuket is 820 kilometres

Google maps then tells me that Phuket to Koh Samui is 319 kilometres.  Where did the missing 501 kms go?  

You might want to check your map of Thailand - even a glance would tell you that there is quite a short distance between Phuket and Samui as against Phuket  and Bangkok.

21 minutes ago, Mister Fixit said:

Uh - are you really sure?  You might want to check that again.  Google maps tells me that Bangkok to Phuket is 820 kilometres

Google maps then tells me that Phuket to Koh Samui is 319 kilometres.  Where did the missing 501 kms go?  

You might want to check your map of Thailand - even a glance would tell you that there is quite a short distance between Phuket and Samui as against Phuket  and Bangkok.

The point (2x one hour each way return trips with gapingly different pricing on the monopolized one) is valid.

On 2/12/2017 at 9:22 AM, samuijimmy said:

But maybe they are listening? :whistling:.... they have a sale, as posted here by Poorsucker:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/968411-bkk-airways-sale/

I have friends trying to get here from Penang ... they used to allow Firefly to come into Samui, but now stopped apparently ...To use BKK Airlines, they would have to go to KL and then fly here at huge expense... they are now considering flying to Surratthanni. .... and putting up with the longer trip.

Problem is  for tourist coming on Joint Airline tickets from overseas, the price they pay is not such a bad deal... they don't feel the high price as we do living here in Thailand.

No airlines fly directly from Penang to Surat either.

4 hours ago, evadgib said:

The point (2x one hour each way return trips with gapingly different pricing on the monopolized one) is valid.

The point that is valid is that getting to and from Koh Samui via Bangkok Air is a total and absolute  RIP OFF!!! As I have said previously, I don't give a hoot about all their excuses about leases, and operating costs!! They have a virtual monopoly on the airport and charge exorbitant prices because they CAN!

11 hours ago, sungod said:

Cheapest ticket on Thai airways to Phnom Pehn return is 200 USD, or approx 190 euro (the same ) and the distance is 540 km, or 1080 return (about the same)

So I dont understand the  comparison. Besides, its cheaper to go further so really the logic is flawed.

So how come they often have free flights with AirAsia (plus 700 Baht airport tax and luggage)? Your argument is invalid if you're only checking tomorrow's prices. The regular fare is around 1800-3000 Baht including tax.

13 hours ago, wump said:

So how come they often have free flights with AirAsia (plus 700 Baht airport tax and luggage)? Your argument is invalid if you're only checking tomorrow's prices. The regular fare is around 1800-3000 Baht including tax.

Based on a Thai airways super saver fare booked a month in advance. (return)

You cant compare low cost carriers with regular airlines, besides I guessing you are quoting one way there, cheapest ticket I can see on air asia a month in advance is over 5000 THB,

Cheaper on the bus I'm told :)

On 13/02/2017 at 0:23 PM, Mister Fixit said:

Check the flying times and then re-read what I said

bangkok airway is just crazy i look for a trip with my family  2 adult 2 child chiang mai  to samui round trip ,  how much it cost  ? 47 000b  what a joke  we take lion air  to surat thani we pay around 10 000b 

Archived