Jump to content

Samui residents: Bangkok airways are a rip off!


rooster59

Recommended Posts

15 minutes ago, SaintLouisBlues said:

"boutique" and "organic" are excuses to charge more, just as "aerobics" is simply a pretentious name for doing exercises (trying doing anaerobic exercises if you don't believe me - they'll kill you (literally), unless you're a UK Tory politician)

Yeah...guess I'd have to be British to get that fully.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They raised two issues. First the cost. Second the noise pollution. 

 

In theory, if they reduced the cost of tickets, the airline may increase the number of flights to cater for the increased capacity. 

 

A double edged sword!

 

But the again, the residents could possibly reap the rewards for 'double' pricing the newly landed passengers and not giving a fudge for over capacity or noise pollution!

 

The sword is blunt!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FitnessHealthTravel said:

Bangkok Airways own the lease on the Koh Samui Airport and have upgraded it to one of the nicest small Airports in Asia. They also offer free food and drinks in their free lounges. They call themselves 'Boutique' as in 'Asia Boutique Airlines' and this here seems to means 'charge more' a little like the local fruit shop calling themselves 'Organic' when they aren't really. They have to pay for the Airport and all the goodies they give away.  Yes it is outrageous but until their lease runs out on the Airport I can't see them reducing cost too much.

The Govt control the airspace regardless of who owns what on the ground...

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Tchooptip said:

Most Thai people I know in Samui are taking the boat to Surat Thani airport!

I think I know what you mean, but I think the journey also includes a one and a half hour road journey! Or is there a canal between Donsak and Surat Thani Airport? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

It was the responsibility of the government several years ago, when their lease on the airport was up for renewal (contrary to popular opinion they do not own the airport, they lease the land from the government, and built the airport) they should have brought in other airlines, to compete with these monopolists (on the Samui-Bangkok route). They are absolute scalpers. A total boycott is in order, for this route. When I used to live on Samui, I would fly out of Surat airport. I paid between 200 baht (during the special deals) up to 900 baht, for Surat-Bangkok. It takes a few hours to get to the airport. But, it was worth it, just to be able to say no to BA. They are a decent airline. Nothing great. 

"They are absolute scalpers." AGREED 100%!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

It was the responsibility of the government several years ago, when their lease on the airport was up for renewal (contrary to popular opinion they do not own the airport, they lease the land from the government, and built the airport) they should have brought in other airlines, to compete with these monopolists (on the Samui-Bangkok route). They are absolute scalpers. A total boycott is in order, for this route. When I used to live on Samui, I would fly out of Surat airport. I paid between 200 baht (during the special deals) up to 900 baht, for Surat-Bangkok. It takes a few hours to get to the airport. But, it was worth it, just to be able to say no to BA. They are a decent airline. Nothing great. 

 

Too late to edit original post, so partly duplicated! :-

 

"They are absolute scalpers." AGREED 100%!

And personally, I don't care a jot about Bangkok Airways problems with their lease or running costs, in the same way  as I would not care a jot about someone who tried to charge me double or triple the normal price for a hamburger because they were leasing the cooker, and didn't own it!

And yes - I also  would rather spend a little extra time flying in and out of Surat on one of the "no frills" airlines just to stick a finger up to BA, and frequently do.

As a previous poster said, now that tourist figures are down (Sorry TAT - I don't believe you today, yesterday, or tomorrow!) they should make their prices a bit more competitive. Even with a Resident's Card, the price between BKK and USM is outrageous compared to their prices for flights elsewhere, so for tourists, it's even more expensive - their problem is that many of them are on a tight time frame/schedule, and just want to get to and from their chosen destination ASAP.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sambum said:

I think I know what you mean, but I think the journey also includes a one and a half hour road journey! Or is there a canal between Donsak and Surat Thani Airport? 

:smile: No, you are right!

Link to post
Share on other sites

The trip from Amsterdam to Bangkok and return is about 20.000 km and cost about € 600

The trip Bangkok to Samui and return is  about 1200 km and wil cost you about € 190

So Bangkok airway's is about 16 times more expensieve than other flight company's?

:sorry:but we have or cost:smile:

Link to post
Share on other sites

I cannot understand ANYONE here defending Bangkok Airways. They offer the EXACT SAME service as Airasia, same comfortable seats, mostly new planes (Airasia ones are actually newer and they don't use the propeller type). So what do you get?

 

A theoretical Airfare of 500-2000 Baht with Airasia (plus Luggage and seat selection, 400 Baht)

or a freaking 3,500-6000 Baht airfare with Bangkok Airways where the only real extra here is a free coke and a chicken sandwich on a 50 minute flight.

 

Anyone defending this has to be out their minds. It is simply a monopoly, greed and a rip-off... nothing "boutique" about this!

 

Just a reminder: In Europe, one hour flights are a fraction of the cost, often starting at 10 euros (370 Baht) including tax.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, isaanpaul said:

The trip from Amsterdam to Bangkok and return is about 20.000 km and cost about € 600

The trip Bangkok to Samui and return is  about 1200 km and wil cost you about € 190

So Bangkok airway's is about 16 times more expensieve than other flight company's?

:sorry:but we have or cost:smile:

Per mile they're somewhere between the Space Shuttle and Concorde!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...