Jump to content

Samui residents: Bangkok airways are a rip off!


rooster59

Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, sungod said:

Based on a Thai airways super saver fare booked a month in advance. (return)

 

You cant compare low cost carriers with regular airlines, besides I guessing you are quoting one way there, cheapest ticket I can see on air asia a month in advance is over 5000 THB,

 

Cheaper on the bus I'm told :)

Of course I am talking one-way since the prices quoted for the Samui flights were also one-way.

 

Why can't I compare low cost carriers to regulars ones? Because I can get the same chicken sandwich for free instead of paying 100 Baht with Airasia but then again I have to fork out 2000 Baht more for the airfare?!

 

I ONCE flew Thai Aiways to Phnom Penh. It is not operated by THAI anymore but instead by their subsidiary THAI Smile. It was the worst flight I ever had. The spaces between the seats were like 10 cms less than AirAsia and had to sit sideways, it was that tiny.

 

Please give me your answer why I cannot compare the two, thanks.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, GreasyFingers said:

Check the flying times and then re-read what I said

 

You were talking distances too, not just flying times.  There is a similarity on the flying times but a huge discrepancy in the distances quoted.

 

What sort of plane flies between Phuket and Samui?  I imagine it is a prop-driven plane for such a short hop, which would account for the similar flying times from Bangkok in a jet

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, wump said:

Of course I am talking one-way since the prices quoted for the Samui flights were also one-way.

 

Why can't I compare low cost carriers to regulars ones? Because I can get the same chicken sandwich for free instead of paying 100 Baht with Airasia but then again I have to fork out 2000 Baht more for the airfare?!

 

I ONCE flew Thai Aiways to Phnom Penh. It is not operated by THAI anymore but instead by their subsidiary THAI Smile. It was the worst flight I ever had. The spaces between the seats were like 10 cms less than AirAsia and had to sit sideways, it was that tiny.

 

Please give me your answer why I cannot compare the two, thanks.

 

 

Apples and oranges,

 

Primarily we are comparing 2 different things here,  someone was complaining about the high per km cost Bangkok airways were for the distance to Samui, I just highlighted it was almost the same in cost and distance for Thai Airways to Phnom Pehn, so in comparison nothing in it.

 

If you want to talk about price though, you are quoting low cost fares against regular carriers, the clue is in the title 'Low cost' , you cant compare the cost as by their business model/basic service they choose to provide they are cheaper, its the whole point! Its no different from saying economy class is cheaper than business class.

 

Nothing wrong though in saying you are happy to accept a lower service at a cheaper price. The proof is in the pudding, I booked Air Asia from Bangkok to KL, by the time I added in all those extras that are included in regular carriers prices, there was absolutely no difference.

 

You also cant compare Thai Airways with Thai Smile, 2 different levels of service again, its a lower cost airline meant to bridge the gap between regular and low cost. I flew them to Hat Yai, seating was fine, meal basic at best.

 

BKK- PNH is operated by Thai Airways, or at least it was last Friday when I flew back, so wrong again. Not saying you didn't go with Smile (they stopped the service pretty quick) but you did not fly Thai Airways so how can you comment on that service?

 

I think you need to start your own thread, low cost carrier service vs regular carriers.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/11/2017 at 8:34 PM, asiaexpat said:

Bangkok Airways flights to Samui are higher than other locations because the ticket price must support the operation of the airport while tax money pays for services and operations at other airports. If the residents want lower airfare then they should pay for airport operations and maintenance through some form of subsidies. I doubt they would agree to such payments. Currently all passengers support the airport, especially tourists.

 

FYI, PG collects a Passenger Service Tax ex of USM of between 300 and 600 baht  depending upon the fare. Don't believe me? Price out a fare RT for BKK-USM. Lowest fare  has a tax of 500 baht. 200 for BKK, 300 for USM.

 

And yes, PG  pays for the USM operations except, it does benefit from the infrastructure that was built to support the airport such as water, electricity, roads, medical and police.

 

On 2/12/2017 at 0:32 AM, blazes said:

I can't understand  why Bangkok Air provide free food for all passengers on the ground in their lounge at Suvanaphumi AND then on a one-hour flight to CM they offer you yet more food (in a box).  If they want to save money, they could stop this mindless provision of free food.  Waste of money and  ecologically damaging.

It's not free. The cost of providing that horrible processed "food" is included in the ticket. There is nothing remotely  appealing about the PG sitting room. And that is what it is at BKK, a segregated sitting room with some coffee, water and not much else.  PG flights to  USM are mostly filled with foreigners willing to pay the inflated airfares. 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Mister Fixit said:

 

You were talking distances too, not just flying times.  There is a similarity on the flying times but a huge discrepancy in the distances quoted.

 

What sort of plane flies between Phuket and Samui?  I imagine it is a prop-driven plane for such a short hop, which would account for the similar flying times from Bangkok in a jet

OK, I will explain it to you. My post was about the similar distance HRT-USM and BKK-USM but a big price difference. To make it even easier I have looked at the prices for next week on your terms, i.e. BKK-HRT early morning flight THB 1690, BKK-USM THB 3300. You have already worked out which is the longer flight. Bangkok Air use both jet and turbo prop to USM but the majority are jets.

Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, GreasyFingers said:

OK, I will explain it to you. My post was about the similar distance HRT-USM and BKK-USM but a big price difference. To make it even easier I have looked at the prices for next week on your terms, i.e. BKK-HRT early morning flight THB 1690, BKK-USM THB 3300. You have already worked out which is the longer flight. Bangkok Air use both jet and turbo prop to USM but the majority are jets.

Sorry for my ignorance, but which airport is denoted  by the initials HRT?

(I checked Google and :- 

HRT EGXU RAF Linton-on-Ouse

I don't think we are referring to flying times between Bangkok and England! Or Hormone Replacement Therapy for that matter!

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, sungod said:

 

 

Apples and oranges,

 

Primarily we are comparing 2 different things here,  someone was complaining about the high per km cost Bangkok airways were for the distance to Samui, I just highlighted it was almost the same in cost and distance for Thai Airways to Phnom Pehn, so in comparison nothing in it.

 

If you want to talk about price though, you are quoting low cost fares against regular carriers, the clue is in the title 'Low cost' , you cant compare the cost as by their business model/basic service they choose to provide they are cheaper, its the whole point! Its no different from saying economy class is cheaper than business class.

 

Nothing wrong though in saying you are happy to accept a lower service at a cheaper price. The proof is in the pudding, I booked Air Asia from Bangkok to KL, by the time I added in all those extras that are included in regular carriers prices, there was absolutely no difference.

 

You also cant compare Thai Airways with Thai Smile, 2 different levels of service again, its a lower cost airline meant to bridge the gap between regular and low cost. I flew them to Hat Yai, seating was fine, meal basic at best.

 

BKK- PNH is operated by Thai Airways, or at least it was last Friday when I flew back, so wrong again. Not saying you didn't go with Smile (they stopped the service pretty quick) but you did not fly Thai Airways so how can you comment on that service?

 

I think you need to start your own thread, low cost carrier service vs regular carriers

 

Have you checked Bangkok Airways then? I flew with them in the new year period and the price was some 4,100 plus taxes (so 4,900 in total), I'm not sure your $200 quoted is a regular fare... well maybe it is on Thai Airways because they fill these seats with code shares anyway.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, sambum said:

Sorry for my ignorance, but which airport is denoted  by the initials HRT?

(I checked Google and :- 

HRT EGXU RAF Linton-on-Ouse

I don't think we are referring to flying times between Bangkok and England!

He made a small mistake. He is obviously referring to HKT (Phuket)... come on!

Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, GreasyFingers said:

OK, I will explain it to you. My post was about the similar distance HRT-USM and BKK-USM but a big price difference. To make it even easier I have looked at the prices for next week on your terms, i.e. BKK-HRT early morning flight THB 1690, BKK-USM THB 3300. You have already worked out which is the longer flight. Bangkok Air use both jet and turbo prop to USM but the majority are jets.

 

<sigh>  You don't need to explain.  :sad:

 

I know all about what a rip off Bangkok Airways are.  Anyone who has been here more than 5 minutes knows that.  I have used them a number of times and decided I would never use them again, because they are such a rip-off.   

 

I was merely pointing out the error in your distances.  The rest I agree with 100%.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, wump said:

Have you checked Bangkok Airways then? I flew with them in the new year period and the price was some 4,100 plus taxes (so 4,900 in total), I'm not sure your $200 quoted is a regular fare... well maybe it is on Thai Airways because they fill these seats with code shares anyway.

I was in Cambodia last week for work,  but to be honest I normally do try to travel with Bangkok airways around the immediate area, but didn't want to admit it on a thread where they were getting so much flak!

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, wump said:

He made a small mistake. He is obviously referring to HKT (Phuket)... come on!

My apologies, but he did use it twice in the same post, and I am easily confused today after a good night last night!!!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...