Purchasing an Android TV box or anything that can stream HBO, Showtime, ETC

John F Gill

Does anyone know where online I can purchase an Android TV Box or any type of cable TV box that is capable of streaming HBO, Showtime, and other American cable channels off the internet?  I know this technology exists but I'm having trouble finding it online and I'm not very familiar with it.  So far the only product I've found online that might be any good the company that sells it only ships to Spain, the UK, and Ireland and they won't ship to Thailand.  I know that there's gotta be a company out there that will ship to Thailand.  I recall reading other posts on here after True Visions dumped HBO that people here in Thailand do own I believe it was an Android Box that I read about on here.  I can always get pretty much whatever I want shipped to Thailand all the time even when other companies say they don't ship here I'm always able to find another company that will ship what I'm looking for here.  Although I've never had to buy a product like this and I want to make sure that I'm buying the right product that is capable of streaming HBO, Showtime, etc.  I'm looking for the works whatever product has the most capability and can stream the most channels and the latest movies and TV shows.  

Ever since True Visions dumped HBO I'm going to dump True Visions.  I know their service is a lot cheaper compared to the states but I'm not paying the same amount for less service and I'm not interested in their temporary 300 Baht discount that's only good till August.  The only reason why I ordered that service was for the HBO, that's what I was paying for and they've taken it away so I'm dumping True Visions as soon as I can purchase the product I'm looking for capable of streaming all the good channels off the internet.  

If anyone knows about this I would sincerely appreciate it if someone could send me a direct online link to where I can purchase it if you can.  Thanks so much for any advice.  

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I use an Apple TV4 but you've got to kid your router that you're in the US which is altogether trickier. You need something like a DNS spoofer such as UnoTelly or a router that will let you hard code a US VPN service. After that you need a cable subscription, although you can piggyback on other people's subscriptions via forums like Slingsharing. It isn't just a plug-and-play option which is why the Brits here have the ExPat TV service and special box, but I don't know of a US equivalent. And AFAIK ExPat TV for the Brits is only free to air channels not pay TV channels

I know how to use a fake IP address though VPN to make it appear as if I'm in the US but they're not all that reliable 24/7.  Can you get HBO and Showtime with the Apple TV4?  I think what I need is an Android Box.  I just found a company called Gear Best that sells them but for some reason it's not accepting my debit card even though there's no problems with my card or billing address, obviously it's an issue with the website.  

Have a browse through some of the other topics in the AV Forum... there are many recommendations and suggestions.

I think you're right... you need an Android box.

ThaiVisa used to have a supplier that sponsored the forum, but unfortunately not now.

I am sure that some of our members will point you in the right direction.

Where in Thailand are you?

I bought an Android box from Lazada. It came with Kodi pre-installed,

Rather than repeat the whole story see my topic here.

I got some really good answers there and they're probably the same as what you need to know too.

56 minutes ago, Encid said:

I got some really good answers there and they're probably the same as what you need to know too.

Thanks I read your story and actually just tried to buy one online but it only accepts Thai credit cards.   Also the shipping and billing address was kind of set up weird and complicated.  It does offer pay cash on delivery supposedly but I am trying to find that option on the website I'd actually prefer cash on delivery because I don't really trust their website it's not very user friendly.  My real question is can you stream HBO and Showtime with it?  

Yes you can, but I find that I'm not watching HBO so much anymore as I can stream the latest movies (as well as the older ones) without the repeat programming that HBO has.

Likewise for TV shows... The Walking Dead for example.

My wife loves it, and we can watch (on demand) every episode from all 7 seasons to date.

Once you go Kodi, you will never go back to TrueVisions.

Talk to @Allstars... he's an expert and really helpful.

If you do decide to buy from Lazada, use the COD option.

That option is available after you've completed your shipping address details.

I've bought a lot of stuff from them over the past 2 years or so and never had a problem.

1 hour ago, Encid said:

Yes actually I figured out how to do it.  It'll be delivered in 2 to 4 days cash on delivery.  How does it work can you actually stream HBO and other channels off of it?  Does it work like regular cable TV?  

4 minutes ago, Encid said:

Yes you can, but I find that I'm not watching HBO so much anymore as I can stream the latest movies (as well as the older ones) without the repeat programming that HBO has.

Likewise for TV shows... The Walking Dead for example.

My wife loves it, and we can watch (on demand) every episode from all 7 seasons to date.

Once you go Kodi, you will never go back to TrueVisions.

Talk to @Allstars... he's an expert and really helpful.

If you do decide to buy from Lazada, use the COD option.

That option is available after you've completed your shipping address details.

I've bought a lot of stuff from them over the past 2 years or so and never had a problem.

Great thanks man and I'm getting mine for about the exact same price you got yours.  Not a bad price.  So good no more True Visions for me. I'll probably get more channels, movies, and TV shows anyway then when True was still offering HBO and Cinemax.  

Just now, John F Gill said:

Great thanks man and I'm getting mine for about the exact same price you got yours.  Not a bad price.  So good no more True Visions for me. I'll probably get more channels, movies, and TV shows anyway then when True was still offering HBO and Cinemax.  

I hope you didn't buy the same box as I did.

If you read the entire topic I returned mine to Lazada because the box did not work well... it was basically under-specked.

Where in Thailand are you and what is your internet speed/package?

9 minutes ago, John F Gill said:

Yes actually I figured out how to do it.  It'll be delivered in 2 to 4 days cash on delivery.  How does it work can you actually stream HBO and other channels off of it?  Does it work like regular cable TV?  

If you bought the same box as Encid  I'm afraid you're in for a nasty surprise. Best to just refuse it on delivery.

2 hours ago, John F Gill said:

I know how to use a fake IP address though VPN to make it appear as if I'm in the US but they're not all that reliable 24/7.  Can you get HBO and Showtime with the Apple TV4?  I think what I need is an Android Box.  I just found a company called Gear Best that sells them but for some reason it's not accepting my debit card even though there's no problems with my card or billing address, obviously it's an issue with the website.  

You don't need a VPN or Proxy to watch any streams from US or UK.

8 minutes ago, Encid said:

If you read the entire topic I returned mine to Lazada because the box did not work well... it was basically under-specked.

20 minutes ago, Encid said:

This is the one I ordered.  What do you think?  Is it a good or bad one.  

IMG_2880.PNG

1 minute ago, John F Gill said:

What about this one?  Do you think this one is a good one?  I live in Korat I'm not exactly sure what my internet speed is but it seems to work fast.  You seem like the expert so if you think it's a piece of junk if you could let me know I'd really appreciate it.  Thank you both for all your advice so far I honestly appreciate you taking the time to reply and help me out seriously.  If you think this one is no good if you know just tell me if it's not to much trouble and I'll get the right one.  If this isn't the right one if you know which one is and if you could tell me I'd sincerely appreciate that as well.  

IMG_2880.PNG

Yes it is the same box as Encid bought and it is a pile of junk. You can just refuse delivery, they don't make an issue of it, and easier than send it back an get the refund.

Even if that box was running Android 5.x which it isn't and can't, it is too underpowered to run kodi 17 smoothly.

There are quite a few boxes with the amlogic s912 processor with 2GB+ of RAM but here's the thing, minix, probably the market leaders in these boxes who undoubtedly have a fantastic reputation for quality and support, cannot announce a release date for their U9 box because of problems with this s912 processor.

Other manufacturers have of course gone ahead, but personally I'm waiting for the minix. My last one, the X8-H, lasted 3 years until I sold it without giving me a single problem.

Take a look on lazada or eBay for s912 Android boxes, I think the H96 with 3GB of RAM is quite popular at the moment for about 3,500 baht.

Don't worry about any fully loaded stuff, it's easy enough to load yourself.

A smart DNS host will allow you to appear to be from a current locale without the overhead of a redirecting VPN. There's plenty about who will give a free trial.

1 hour ago, Encid said:

Sorry to keep bugging you guys but If you don't mind me asking which one did you get in return that you are happy with?  

Archived