Purchasing an Android TV box or anything that can stream HBO, Showtime, ETC

John F Gill

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, tlcwaterfall said:

Thank you I went ahead and changed my order to that one.  Can he get HBO and everything with it?  You said it works well.  I assume it's in English am I right?  

4 minutes ago, John F Gill said:

Thank you I went ahead and changed my order to that one.  Can he get HBO and everything with it?  You said it works well.  I assume it's in English am I right?  

Seems like you don't listen to advice.

Rockchip is not supported by Kodi, always problems.

I'm not sure you understand, these boxes don't do anything by themselves.

They have the capability but not the wherewithal.

Kodi, as supplied, has zero content.

It's the third party add-ons that provide this service.

YouTube has literally thousands of videos explaining how to install and customise kodi.

The box in my photo would suit your needs, but I don't know what the problem is with the s912 processor that is preventing the minix u9 coming to market

59 minutes ago, John F Gill said:

How does it work can you actually stream HBO and other channels off of it?  Does it work like regular cable TV?  

If you are familiar with Android mobile phones, an Android TV box is essentially the same thing but using an HDMI-connected TV or Display for the screen. Since this isn't a touch-screen, you'll need to use something to replace the touch-screen input to interact with the device. While the device usually comes with a remote control, it's a pain to use in most instances so most people add a off-the-shelf USB Mouse & Keyboard to interact and control the box.

As it's just a standard Android device, if it has access to the Google Play Store, you can download apps from there (or 'side-load' the ones that aren't if the device allows).  Since this will be connected to  your TV, you'll want apps specific to viewing audio/video content.

Kodi is one such media app.  It's a generic media center software suite that allows you load other people's add-ons to be grouped in a common user interface to view or interact with lots of online media content. Kodi will allow you to watch subscription-based content without being a paid subscriber, as many of the add-ons are written to tap into already existing pirated feeds. But when that source gets shuts down, you have to either wait for the add-on author to update their to alternate pirated sources, or find another add-on delivering your desired content when the original author abandons updating altogether.

Not "all" kodi add-ons use pirated content ...but don't expect access to 'free' content to last forever.

You can also download android IPTV (Internet Protocol TeleVision) apps that simulate the workings of a Cable TV box, listing grouped channels, maybe a built-in time-based program guide, or making content available on-demand.  Many of these are from legitimate Cable TV or Mobile Phone operators, while other's written by individuals linking to open non-encrypted media content feeds.

Another group of IPTV apps are actually written to emulate actual Cable TV boxes, and you can subscribe to the same content packages those boxes can receive (just do it over the Internet). Some companies offering media content from multiple nations.

So, an android box can let you view high-quality live or on-demand media content. But don't expect the experience to be just like that of owning a Cable TV box.

If you are familiar with Android mobile phones, an Android TV box is essentially the same thing but using an HDMI-connected TV or Display for the screen. Since this isn't a touch-screen, you'll need to use something to replace the touch-screen input to interact with the device. While the device usually comes with a remote control, it's a pain to use in most instances so most people add a off-the-shelf USB Mouse & Keyboard to interact and control the box.

As it's just a standard Android device, if it has access to the Google Play Store, you can download apps from there (or 'side-load' the ones that aren't if the device allows).  Since this will be connected to  your TV, you'll want apps specific to viewing audio/video content.

Kodi is one such media app.  It's a generic media center software suite that allows you load other people's add-ons to be grouped in a common user interface to view or interact with lots of online media content. Kodi will allow you to watch subscription-based content without being a paid subscriber, as many of the add-ons are written to tap into already existing pirated feeds. But when that source gets shuts down, you have to either wait for the add-on author to update their to alternate pirated sources, or find another add-on delivering your desired content when the original author abandons updating altogether.

Not "all" kodi add-ons use pirated content ...but don't expect access to 'free' content to last forever.

You can also download android IPTV (Internet Protocol TeleVision) apps that simulate the workings of a Cable TV box, listing grouped channels, maybe a built-in time-based program guide, or making content available on-demand.  Many of these are from legitimate Cable TV or Mobile Phone operators, while other's written by individuals linking to open non-encrypted media content feeds.

Another group of IPTV apps are actually written to emulate actual Cable TV boxes, and you can subscribe to the same content packages those boxes can receive (just do it over the Internet). Some companies offering media content from multiple nations.

So, an android box can let you view high-quality live or on-demand media content. But don't expect the experience to be just like that of owning a Cable TV box.

I think that's a bit of a mean spirited description of kodi [emoji2]

It's got millions of users, is hugely capable, free and is causing the likes of Sky and Virgin considerable consternation.

Hard to see how it can be constrained though, as it's open source, runs on just about every single platform and has zero content.

14 minutes ago, RichCor said:

Thanks that breaks it down more to my level of knowledge on this stuff I think anyway, this stuff is new and confusing to me so I'm trying to be careful to get the right product but I kind of just want to hurry up and get it at the same time.  I've been researching this for weeks and it still confuses me.  I guess I'll find out when I get one.  My nephew is good at installing stuff like this so I'll probably just get his help with hooking it up after I buy one.  

10 minutes ago, BaldPlumber said:

I think that's a bit of a mean spirited description of kodi emoji2.png

It's got millions of users, is hugely capable, free and is causing the likes of Sky and Virgin considerable consternation.

Hard to see how it can be constrained though, as it's open source, runs on just about every single platform and has zero content.

Well maybe but at least now I understand it a bit more than I did before.  Thanks for everyone's advice I appreciate it.  I'll figure this thing out one way or the other I always do. Once I get something good working well bye bye True Visions.  I actually got some very helpful information from a lot of people on here, at least so far it appears I did.  Regardless thanks everyone.  I'm just trying to get all the information I can before I fully commit to purchasing one.  

33 minutes ago, BaldPlumber said:

I'm not sure you understand, these boxes don't do anything by themselves.

They have the capability but not the wherewithal.

Kodi, as supplied, has zero content.

It's the third party add-ons that provide this service.

YouTube has literally thousands of videos explaining how to install and customise kodi.

The box in my photo would suit your needs, but I don't know what the problem is with the s912 processor that is preventing the minix u9 coming to market

If my understanding is correct you have to use the device to install apps which you use to stream the TV channels.  Honestly I don't know.  

2 minutes ago, BaldPlumber said:

The OP might do well do read up on threads already posted here on ThaiVisa:

Are pre loaded set top boxes legal?
Started by TheCruncher, March 25, 2016

Though, I love how ThaiVisa ThaiTech has started republishing articles on Kodi Box busts being organized in other countries, as if it's the Kodi software that's the issue.

Five held in 'fully loaded' Kodi streaming box raids
Started by Jai Dee

...and as Chicog posted in that thread,

"Nothing new.  

It's illegal to pirate streams, but it's easier to go after the sellers than the consumers."

and even easier, it seems, than going after the producers of the pirate streams. 

/// BTW, I hate the new forum out-of-thread quoting system.

One further thought. If you prefer Windows you might want to take a look at the minix Z64W and the newer Z83-4.

These are Windows 10 based TV boxes which can run kodi (which is pretty much all you need) plus, obviously, all other Windows stuff.

I've got the older Z64 which runs great. Some of the big Windows updates have been a bit of a pain, but you might be more comfortable with one of these if you're used to a PC.

Just something else to think about.

Oh, neither comes with any kind of keyboard device, so you need one if those too.

The OP might do well do read up on threads already posted here on ThaiVisa:

Are pre loaded set top boxes legal?
Started by TheCruncher, March 25, 2016

Though, I love how ThaiVisa ThaiTech has started republishing articles on Kodi Box busts being organized in other countries, as if it's the Kodi software that's the issue.

Five held in 'fully loaded' Kodi streaming box raids
Started by Jai Dee

...and as Chicog posted in that thread,

"Nothing new.  

It's illegal to pirate streams, but it's easier to go after the sellers than the consumers."

and even easier, it seems, than going after the producers of the pirate streams. 

/// BTW, I hate the new forum out-of-thread quoting system.

Yep - kodi boxes! No such thing.

Big crackdown on fully loaded devices in the UK at the moment.

Totally unnecessary to buy fully loaded and incur the overhead of some humongous and unreliable "build" which will invariably leave you frustrated with your purchase.

1 hour ago, BaldPlumber said:

a06fa69bcecdb512a75b2494d7664ab5.jpg

+1 for the H96 Pro - make sure you get one with Android 6 and it's the 3Gb RAM + 32Gb Internal Storage. There are several deals out there including packages with free Air Mouse, as said earlier the standard remote sucks.

Just now, Stocky said:

+1 for the H96 Pro

Same box I just recently acquired a few months ago.  

Very nice. So far no real issues -- other than the fake wireless update app that's been flagged as malware. 

The Amlogic S912 processor is getting bashed because of technical issues and unproven marketing claims, but my box works fine for what we do with it which is mostly watching YouTube or Thai-converted shows/movies. 

1 hour ago, Stocky said:

+1 for the H96 Pro - make sure you get one with Android 6 and it's the 3Gb RAM + 32Gb Internal Storage. There are several deals out there including packages with free Air Mouse, as said earlier the standard remote sucks.

Is this a required separate accessory to the Android Box?  

3 minutes ago, John F Gill said:

No it is not required, you also can use a wireless keyboard and mouse, but with the standard remote is very inconvenient when you have to type titles of movies your want to watch in the search bar.

1 minute ago, John F Gill said:

A separate pointer/keyboard isn't required, but it is preferred.

...Unless you liked Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start  (old-school game keyboard entry)

I use two different services. Sling tv and NFPS IPTV. Sling will work on Android, Apple or PC. Do need a VPN connection (I use Strongvpn). Sling is better on slower connections.

Secondly I use Kodi on both Android and PC. Will not work on Apple tv unless its jailbroken. On Kodi I enable stakler pvr service and enter acct info for NFPS IPTV. It's a off shore server on Belize. $100 a year for US, British and others premier channels. About 800 in all.

You will need a connection that will give you 5 to 6 meg speed to the connection site for HD.
A 3bb 20 meg down/2 up in Ubon connection only gets about 3 meg throughput to Belize. Guess I can't have everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think they might sell it in Tukcom or MBK but if you're every in Hong Kong to buy the Unblock IPTV box for about 90 usd. I use it for all the UK Sky sports channels for free... And it has loads of USA channels and kodi in there so you can set up your own thing anyway. It's chinese based but everything in English.

Sent from my LG-H990 using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

Thinking to go AIS for internet and also looking at their Android box. Does anyone recommend this venue? Does the AIS box have Kodi or can it be installed… I am sort of green about streaming tv!

I would appreciate someone pm me about any useful info! Cheers

1 hour ago, gillap said:

Thinking to go AIS for internet and also looking at their Android box. Does anyone recommend this venue? Does the AIS box have Kodi or can it be installed… I am sort of green about streaming tv!

As far as I'm aware the AIS play box has Playstore blocked.

It also has only 1Gb RAM, which is not enough for running Kodi properly, and Android 4.2.2 which is outdated for Kodi.

The newest Kodi needs Android 5.0 or higher. You can't upgrade the Android to a higher version.

Feel free to send me a PM with your inquiries, I will answer them with pleasure.

1 hour ago, gillap said:

In my opinion much better to go for a good quality android box. Plenty to choose from at Lazada and really not that expensive when you consider the years of viewing you will get from them.

You then have access to the Google playstore. 

As Allstars has said ensure you get a box running Android 5.0 or higher so you can run Kodi 17.

I currently have two boxes and an Amazon Firestick. All run very well with Kodi and many other programs also.

Have thousands of movies, television shows and all the live television I could ever want.

Plenty of helpful people here who can advise you further.

Archived