Purchasing an Android TV box or anything that can stream HBO, Showtime, ETC

John F Gill

To get up and running here is an inexpensive way to get everything you want. The info above is correct. Kodi is the way to go. I had a friend send me an Amazon Fire stick. You can also get it on Lazada. It plugs into your hdmi and costs 40 US dollars. After receiving it, go to YouTube and search"Kodi install on firestick" there are many and it's quite simple. After that is loaded, search "install Wookie on my firestick". Wookie is only one of the builds for Kodi. There are many more such as Ares Wizard or Schism . They all work well and will give you content for free. Such as HBO,showtime, crackle, tent,tbs,Amazon,abc,cbs,nbc,etc. every movie in the world and all tv series. All over your wifi, for free. Have fun!

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whilst I have an Android box , an MZQ Pro box, which can be bought on-line from Alibaba and they ship anywhere, I also have a new smart TV which has android built into it and therefore I have Kodi and Showcase etc loaded directly onto the TV itself. 

Android is better for this purpose than Apple TV as you cannot get Kodi for Apple or many of the other streaming apps etc due to their copyright restrictions ( unless you Jailbreak the box - but that is a whole new route to go down ) 

16 hours ago, John F Gill said:

Thanks I read your story and actually just tried to buy one online but it only accepts Thai credit cards.   Also the shipping and billing address was kind of set up weird and complicated.  It does offer pay cash on delivery supposedly but I am trying to find that option on the website I'd actually prefer cash on delivery because I don't really trust their website it's not very user friendly.  My real question is can you stream HBO and Showtime with it?  

I use Lazada all the time and use a UK debit card nevery had a problem they have a very good returns policy simular to Amazon. :-)

There are only 2 boxes that will work without issues.

Himedia Q10 Pro
Nvidia Shield    2017 model

True. I use the Nvidia Shield back in US. Didn't bring it , just the firestick. The Shield by far is absolutely great. The new Amazon stick, 3rd generation, has a quad core processor, more memory and great new wifi antenna. Works without issue, but not as lightning fast as the shield.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

55 minutes ago, anfh said:

Whilst I have an Android box , an MZQ Pro box, which can be bought on-line from Alibaba and they ship anywhere, I also have a new smart TV which has android built into it and therefore I have Kodi and Showcase etc loaded directly onto the TV itself. 

Android is better for this purpose than Apple TV as you cannot get Kodi for Apple or many of the other streaming apps etc due to their copyright restrictions ( unless you Jailbreak the box - but that is a whole new route to go down ) 

I also have kodi installed on my android enabled tv, no box required. The tv is sold as a thai brand (aconatic) and was bought at tesco lotus.  Very basic in terms of information in the user manual but it does the job.

11 minutes ago, JaiMaai said:
44 minutes ago, Jeffrey346 said:

There are only 2 boxes that will work without issues.

Himedia Q10 Pro

Nvidia Shield    2017 model

"only 2 boxes"

What a ridiculous statement to make.

There are many good boxes out there along with the many bad ones.

I'll add the Minix Neo U1 to the list of good ones.

Correct, the Nvidia is no doubt a very good box, but is just a waste of money for Kodi.

Any decent brand with a S905 processor and 2Gb of emmc RAM will do the job.

Edit : I also want to add stay away of the S912 boxes like H96 several time mentioned here because they have issues. ALL S912 boxes have issues.

If you don't take my word for it go have a llok at the XDA and Freaktab forum and do a search for H96 or any other S912 box and read the results.

Those discussions on those forums are held  by people who are knowledgeable about Android boxes and the firmware

9 minutes ago, Allstars said:

Correct, the Nvidia is no doubt a very good box, but is just a waste of money for Kodi.

Any decent brand with a S905 processor and 2Gb of emmc RAM will do the job

Waiting for a decent company (Minix etc) to release a box with S912 chipset.

Have also heard that the Nvidia Shield offers a modified version of Android called Android TV which does not allow downloading of APKs from the playstore….or something along those lines….happy to be corrected on specifics.

9 minutes ago, JHolmesJr said:

Waiting for a decent company (Minix etc) to release a box with S912 chipset.

Have also heard that the Nvidia Shield offers a modified version of Android called Android TV which does not allow downloading of APKs from the playstore….or something along those lines….happy to be corrected on specifics.

Not sure why your comment on the S912 processor, since Nvidia Shield doesn't host a S912, but a tegra x1 instead.

The reason that minix doesn't have a S912 yet is for the reasons I explained in my previous post. The S912 cores don't run all at the same speed, and that is an issue for the Kodi operating, other than that the S912 is decent enough.

And yes Nvidia Shield seems to block access to Playstore and few other apps.

If you play a lot of high spec games than Shield is the way to go. If you will use the box only for Kodi or other tv streaming apps than shield is overkill and a waste of money.

1 minute ago, Allstars said:

The reason that minix doesn't have a S912 yet is for the reasons I explained in my previous post. The S912 cores don't run all at the same speed, and that is an issue for the Kodi operating...

Interesting….I didnt know that…I read that Minix was planning a box with 912 but then it fell through…maybe for the same speed related reason.

wonder if there is a fix for it. I wouldn't mind a speed boost from quad core (S905) to octacore (S912)

2 hours ago, Allstars said:

As far as I'm aware the AIS play box has Playstore blocked.

It also has only 1Gb RAM, which is not enough for running Kodi properly, and Android 4.2.2 which is outdated for Kodi.

The newest Kodi needs Android 5.0 or higher. You can't upgrade the Android to a higher version.

Feel free to send me a PM with your inquiries, I will answer them with pleasure.

Thanks Allstars for the info… I will not be buying this box after all and I understand Kodi is the way to go! I will perhaps later take you up on your offer of advise! Cheers!

1 minute ago, Allstars said:

Why would you want to, because for the AIS app the Playbox is sufficient, but Kodi is far superior to the AIS app

I am moving and looking at all options for an internet provider and so far AIS seems the way to go. Price versus speed and dependability!

Just now, gillap said:

I am moving and looking at all options for an internet provider and so far AIS seems the way to go. Price versus speed and dependability!

Because you select AIS doesn't mean you have to take their IPTV services as well, you can use Kodi on AIS.

1 hour ago, Allstars said:

Edit : I also want to add stay away of the S912 boxes like H96 several time mentioned here because they have issues. ALL S912 boxes have issues.

My H96 Pro+ has been running fine for two months, just upgraded to Kodi 17. I've not had any issues with it at all. I use it for Kodi and Modbro plus playing video and music files from a networked storage drive.

Just now, Stocky said:

My H96 Pro+ has been running fine for two months, just upgraded to Kodi 17. I've not had any issues with it at all. I use it for Kodi and Modbro plus playing video and music files from a networked storage drive.

I don't disagree with you, though I doubt that the firmware developers at XDA and Freaktab don't know what they are talking about.

2 minutes ago, Allstars said:

I don't disagree with you, though I doubt that the firmware developers at XDA and Freaktab don't know what they are talking about.

It seems the issues are with people upgrading their firmware and hitting problems, I've no intention of updating the firmware when the unit works fine straight out of the box.

If it ain't broke don't fix it!

Big C Rayong is currently selling Z Stream amlogic S905 quad core 64bit  4K android boxes for 2,300baht at the moment. I've already bought 4 and it comes with a really good air mouse, in fact better than the one with my Samsung tv. It does come in Thai but very easy to change to English and same as all boxes without fans it runs a little bit hot. It runs  android 5.1.

Z STREAM.jpg

Big C Rayong is currently selling Z Stream amlogic S905 quad core 64bit  4K android boxes for 2,300baht at the moment. I've already bought 4 and it comes with a really good air mouse, in fact better than the one with my Samsung tv. It does come in Thai but very easy to change to English and same as all boxes without fans it runs a little bit hot. It runs  android 5.1.

58a1490c5a2c8_ZSTREAM.jpg.e9a2730fde216584995e4cfcbbfd3905.jpg

Interesting. Do you get all the Sky Sports and Fox Sports and Bein Sports channels on it?

Sent from my LG-H990 using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

6 minutes ago, reenatinnakor said:

Interesting. Do you get all the Sky Sports and Fox Sports and Bein Sports channels on it?

Sent from my LG-H990 using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

If you install Mobdro you will get all the channels and some of the apps for Kodi can be set up to receive the sports. It comes with Kodi pre installed but it's set up for Thai tv users but I will say it's a simple front end, I just put Mobdro & Kodi in the favourites folder and select that as I use my laptop for browsing. It comes complete with HDMI & A/V cables so it can be connected to older TV's as well.

Why not have a look at Pulse TV, virtually all of the UK channels you need,including sports, and live streaming with 24 hour catch up. Box and subscription very reasonably priced. Kodi is OK if ther's no other alternative.

Pulse ia great for those who just want an easy replacement for Truevisions and are not very technically minded. You just connect the box and you have every UK channel, lots of other international channels including Astrosport, and Thai channels for the wife.

Archived