Purchasing an Android TV box or anything that can stream HBO, Showtime, ETC

John F Gill

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, Allstars said:

That is because there is no BEST box

I tend to agree, best is user opinion. The issue with most boxes is the lack of manufacturer support. 

The Q10 Pro runs Android 7.0 out of the box and gets OTA updates, you can drop a 6TB HD into it and set up your own little media server and comes with an advanced remote. An email to them usually gets an answer within 24 hours.  Some of this stuff is important...lol

1 hour ago, ezzra said:

What a confusing issue, so far 85 posts and 200 opinions on what and which

box or service is the best, lots of experts but non seems to agree with each other....

1 hour ago, Allstars said:

50 minutes ago, Jeffrey346 said:

I tend to agree, best is user opinion. The issue with most boxes is the lack of manufacturer support. 

I'd say there are way too many issues in play to even suggest there is such a thing as a 'best'.

Few real legitimate media content providers offering what you really want, then on dated hardware.

Too many independent hardware manufacturers producing under-powered set top box with broken OS.

Way too many middle-man resellers bundling their rebadged junk box with pre-installed kodi addons promising the perfect cablebox-replacement experience.

But, buy an Internet TV and see if your experience is any better.

22 hours ago, tlcwaterfall said:

I'm going with your advice because you seem really straight up about it.  There are SO MANY conflicting opinions out there about these boxes I had no idea it would be so complicated.  I like to keep things simple.  You say your friend bought this one and it works great and you even sent me the Lazada link for it.  So I think my mind is made up.  I can always return it if it's not any good.  I had no idea people had so many different opinions about the different types of boxes.  People suddenly started trying to sell me boxes, everyone's getting into the technicalities of them and the apps, I have no idea I'm not much of a techy.  I just want one that will work and do what I need it to do.  Once I get it I'm going to have my techy nephew hook it up for me, although I'm not totally tech ignorant I can usually figure most things out.  In fact it's time for me to stream the latest episode of Homeland off the internet.  

Have followed this thread with interest. I ended up buying H96 Pro+ from Lazada. As I never used an androidbox is there any poster who can tell me if I can set up an android box so it always is connected to an “open vpn”?

http://www.lazada.co.th/smart-android-box-h96-pro-plus-ram-3-gb-rom-32-gb-octa-core-android60-marshmallow-black-airmouse-c120-11590477.html

4 hours ago, Allstars said:

Depends on your requirements.

But one thing you can say is that the NVidia Shield pretty well blows all the other boxes I've seen posted here right out of the water.

But it's not going to be everyone's favourite on price.

Have a Sheild pro in US. Here I use a PC on a stick by Asus. Its the same form factor as a fire stick. A bit more horsepower than most android devices. A Levono multimedia keyboard/trackball fits in one hand. Use it for kodi and sling. Nice thing is it packs easy. For backup there is the Samsung tablet running both on Android.

As stated earlier in this thread. The Sheild runs Android TV os which is a different operating system than Android you will see on phones or a tablet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 hours ago, RichCor said:

I'd say there are way too many issues in play to even suggest there is such a thing as a 'best'.

Few real legitimate media content providers offering what you really want, then on dated hardware.

Too many independent hardware manufacturers producing under-powered set top box with broken OS.

Way too many middle-man resellers bundling their rebadged junk box with pre-installed kodi addons promising the perfect cablebox-replacement experience.

But, buy an Internet TV and see if your experience is any better.

Everyone's tastes and viewing preferences are different.

I'm not into sport... but most of my mates are.

I'm into movies... but most of my mates are not.

I think it's safe to say that provided the box runs Android 5 or later, and has at least 2GB RAM and the latest processor, it can be configured with IPTV software that can be tailored to suit individual needs.

Those needs form the basis of the individual's specification for viewing preferences.

There are many options available to meet that specification.

On 2/12/2017 at 6:14 PM, tlcwaterfall said:

Thanks for showing me this.  I just got this box delivered today hooked it up and you're right it works absolutely great.  Better than I expected.  

1 hour ago, Kenegg said:
3 hours ago, Jeffrey346 said:

I'm wondering if it did an OTA update to Android 7.0?

They normally update themselves if you leave turned on if set to automatic updates

Actually, most Android set top boxes don't receive OS Updates, as the manufacturers don't bother creating them.

So, no update from Ice Cream Sandwich (4.0–4.0.4) to Jelly Bean (4.1–4.3.1) to KitKat (4.4–4.4.4, 4.4W–4.4W.2) to Lollipop (5.0–5.1.1) to Marshmallow (6.0–6.0.1) to Nougat (7), no bug fixes and no security updates.  Have to look to the custom ROM Firmware builders on XDA and Freaktab for these.

Android Playstore App Updates are a separate thing, and those do happen automatically but are different from OS or OS security updates.

3 hours ago, Jeffrey346 said:

I'm wondering if it did an OTA update to Android 7.0?

The H8 is a specific device from Himedia with a  Rockchip 3368 CPU, I doubt it will get OS updates. Himedia usually use the Hisilicon CPU's in their devices.

Their Q5Pro and 10Pro has active forum support on the futeko, kodi and freaktab websites and is receiving firmware updates for android V5.1.1 and an OS upgrade to V7.

Couldn't I just cut out the android box, link my lap top to my TV and install some kind of app on Windows 10 (the version I am running). I've tried streaming sites but the vast majority don't have movies with Thai subtitles. This would save having to buy an android box.  

I tried installing an alternative to AIS Play on the box they gave me, but with no success. It seems to be locked.

47 minutes ago, GarryP said:

Couldn't I just cut out the android box, link my lap top to my TV and install some kind of app on Windows 10 (the version I am running). I've tried streaming sites but the vast majority don't have movies with Thai subtitles. This would save having to buy an android box.  

I tried installing an alternative to AIS Play on the box they gave me, but with no success. It seems to be locked.

Yes, your laptop can be connected to a TV. There are some pay sites for a small monthly fee, I think about 300 baht a month but I do not know if they are legal. FWIPTV has soundtrack films and series with Thai subtitles and can be accessed through a web browser.

4 hours ago, RichCor said:

Actually, most Android set top boxes don't receive OS Updates, as the manufacturers don't bother creating them.

So, no update from Ice Cream Sandwich (4.0–4.0.4) to Jelly Bean (4.1–4.3.1) to KitKat (4.4–4.4.4, 4.4W–4.4W.2) to Lollipop (5.0–5.1.1) to Marshmallow (6.0–6.0.1) to Nougat (7), no bug fixes and no security updates.  Have to look to the custom ROM Firmware builders on XDA and Freaktab for these.

Android Playstore App Updates are a separate thing, and those do happen automatically but are different from OS or OS security updates.

My Matricom box has a settings tab easy to update :-) :-)

3 hours ago, Kenegg said:

My Matricom box has a settings tab easy to update :-) :-)

I've had 3 low-cost android boxes and several android mobile phones that also had a settings tab to check for updates ...that would all indicate I was running the latest version of the OS and never offer an update   :-(       Have had to rely on custom rom builders for actual updates.

Have since switched to an AndroidOne mobile phone and receive OS updates before anyone else.  

But since the set top box hardware life cycle is about two years I've resigned myself to buying the most recommended version that doesn't break my budget. So long as hackers don't turn the set top box into a bot I'll be OK.

15 hours ago, RichCor said:

But since the set top box hardware life cycle is about two years I've resigned myself to buying the most recommended version that doesn't break my budget.

Likewise. But as I was paying True Vision Bht1500 a month up until three years ago when I switched to IPTV, I don't really begrudge forking out Bht3,000 every couple of years for a shiny new android box.

19 hours ago, RichCor said:

I've had 3 low-cost android boxes and several android mobile phones that also had a settings tab to check for updates ...that would all indicate I was running the latest version of the OS and never offer an update   :-(       Have had to rely on custom rom builders for actual updates.

Have since switched to an AndroidOne mobile phone and receive OS updates before anyone else.  

But since the set top box hardware life cycle is about two years I've resigned myself to buying the most recommended version that doesn't break my budget. So long as hackers don't turn the set top box into a bot I'll be OK.

Before  I bought the Matricom last year did quite a bit of research into best set top boxes... Matricom was in the top ten and the price was £98 so not cheap compared to a lot....it's done the job and more with no hassles so I always recommend if asked. :-)

The reason there are lots of opinions is there are different groups of tech people on here.

Newbies, self taught middle of road and tech heads.

Self taught will just give you their own expierences and tech heads will bog you down with jargon and debate with each other who has the best and what it is like most people who are experts at something.

The truth is if you dont know anything is do a google search for 30 mins and then look at youtube reviews of boxes. Then get yourself a box in and around 2 to 3k. Zazada has plenty.

I got a M8S+ last year and it works perfectly. Especially if you are wanting it for kodi, mobdro, showbox or any of the paid iptv services.

I got a box when i signed up with pulse (some 4k box, MXQ pro i think) and that seems perfectly fine too.

Could anyone recommend a decent build I could download for Kodi on my laptop. I am interested in movies, TV series, and documentaries. Not interested in sport. Must be able to run Thai subtitles. Alternatively,  can anyone recommend any particular youtube poster. I have noted that there are a number of build installment videos posted by various posters but they are not really focused on Thailand and I have no idea whether they are any good. 

50 minutes ago, GarryP said:

Could anyone recommend a decent build I could download for Kodi on my laptop. I am interested in movies, TV series, and documentaries. Not interested in sport. Must be able to run Thai subtitles. Alternatively,  can anyone recommend any particular youtube poster. I have noted that there are a number of build installment videos posted by various posters but they are not really focused on Thailand and I have no idea whether they are any good. 

Exodus add on is popular and does most of the movies and TV shows. Thai subs involves adding a Thai font into kodi and some other setup. 

I received a Zidoo x9s yesterday and it is not compatable with 365sport or expat premium. It works great on all my other apps. And also the ethernet plug does not 'click' into the box. Very disappointed, will make provisions today to return it to Lazada.

Archived