Purchasing an Android TV box or anything that can stream HBO, Showtime, ETC

John F Gill

25 minutes ago, Jeffrey346 said:

I just ordered the HiMedia Q10 Pro as I got a great price B4827 on Lazada.

I am so looking forward to telling True to shove their service..

Hopefully you're available for some questions @Allstars

I had a look at that box, that is the one with the removable hard drive, what is the purpose of it?

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, vogie said:

I received a Zidoo x9s yesterday and it is not compatable with 365sport or expat premium. It works great on all my other apps. And also the ethernet plug does not 'click' into the box. Very disappointed, will make provisions today to return it to Lazada.

Take a look at  the HiMedia H8 which will not disappoint you.

http://www.lazada.co.th/himedia-h8-android-51-8-core-cpu-octacore-4k-h265-2gb-app-aaa-c120-7099120.html

15 hours ago, GarryP said:

Could anyone recommend a decent build I could download for Kodi on my laptop. I am interested in movies, TV series, and documentaries. Not interested in sport. Must be able to run Thai subtitles. Alternatively,  can anyone recommend any particular youtube poster. I have noted that there are a number of build installment videos posted by various posters but they are not really focused on Thailand and I have no idea whether they are any good. 

Kodi master 3.5 has pretty much everything. You can down load the wizard at kodimaster.com. There is a video on the site that explains everything. 

36 minutes ago, Jeffrey346 said:

However the Himedia probably is not a bad box, the internal HDD is of not much use in my opinion, because with Kodi there is no need for recording since everything is available on demand whenever you want.

Every othwer box has also the ability to connect an external HDD through USB.

The Himedia isn't rooted from factory, which I consider a negative, rooting it yourself will void warranty and may brick the box

8 minutes ago, Allstars said:

However the Himedia probably is not a bad box, the internal HDD is of not much use in my opinion, because with Kodi there is no need for recording since everything is available on demand whenever you want.

Every othwer box has also the ability to connect an external HDD through USB.

The Himedia isn't rooted from factory, which I consider a negative, rooting it yourself will void warranty and may brick the box

Why would I need to root the box?  For what purpose?

I want a powerful box. Which box do you recommend?

8 minutes ago, Jeffrey346 said:

Why would I need to root the box?  For what purpose?

I want a powerful box. Which box do you recommend?

You need root to access files in the Kodi firmware, to for instance write an advanced settings file, keymaps if you want to use a wireless mouse, insert a host file to block the ads in Mobdro and UKtvnow. That is just a few reasons why you need root.

I can recommend you a box by PM which is similar powerful.

1 minute ago, Allstars said:

You need root to access files in the Kodi firmware, to for instance write an advanced settings file, keymaps if you want to use a wireless mouse, insert a host file to block the ads in Mobdro and UKtvnow. That is just a few reasons why you need root.

I can recommend you a box by PM which is similar powerful.

Awesome, I will check my PM.. Thanks

Could anyone recommend a decent build I could download for Kodi on my laptop. I am interested in movies, TV series, and documentaries. Not interested in sport. Must be able to run Thai subtitles. Alternatively,  can anyone recommend any particular youtube poster. I have noted that there are a number of build installment videos posted by various posters but they are not really focused on Thailand and I have no idea whether they are any good. 

Don't waste your time with any builds, you don't need them, any of them. I'm sure there are some good ones, but I've never seen any.

YouTube is full of decent videos showing how to install add-ons additionally https://seo-michael.co.uk/ is an excellent source for step by step instructions.

Your needs are very modest and the add-ons exodus, specto fork, bob and SALTS will satisfy then completely.

Getting Thai subtitles to work on Windows is easy, on Android not so much. The reason is that the default Arial font does not support the Thai character set.

I have found that a good source of Thai fonts is, oddly enough, the university of Hawaii.

Getting them to work on Android is a bit of a pain, PM me if you want a full explanation.

Installing and configuring kodi is easily within the grasp of non tecky individuals and once done you are free not reliant on build authors not maintaining their code.

2 hours ago, BaldPlumber said:

Don't waste your time with any builds, you don't need them, any of them. I'm sure there are some good ones, but I've never seen any.

YouTube is full of decent videos showing how to install add-ons additionally https://seo-michael.co.uk/ is an excellent source for step by step instructions.

Your needs are very modest and the add-ons exodus, specto fork, bob and SALTS will satisfy then completely.

Getting Thai subtitles to work on Windows is easy, on Android not so much. The reason is that the default Arial font does not support the Thai character set.

I have found that a good source of Thai fonts is, oddly enough, the university of Hawaii.

Getting them to work on Android is a bit of a pain, PM me if you want a full explanation.

Installing and configuring kodi is easily within the grasp of non tecky individuals and once done you are free not reliant on build authors not maintaining their code.

Thanks. I will try installing exodus this weekend. 

That why support is priceless, instead of messing around for weeks and still have a Kodi that doesn't work as expected, it is all done for you and works out of the box. :smile:

And when new addons are released, or the repo address from tan existing addon changes which happens very often,  they will be installed as well because nobody will inform you of it.

Support is important for me.

My rationale is different... I was paying in excess of 2K baht per month for TrueVisions... with fixed programming, dated and repetitive movies, no service when it rains, and when they cut HBO channels and Cinemax I had no option but to find a good streaming service.

My current situation is that I have paid the equivalent of 3-4 months subscription, but have access on-demand to not only live Thai TV and movies, but I am not constrained by channel programming... I can choose to watch a 1 year old movie or a 30 year old movie (such as Highlander which I was watching last night)... I can pause it so I can go for a pee, I can download Thai subtitles so my wife can cowjai, my options are so much better than before.

My return on investment (ROI) is 4 months (for 2 boxes), and after that I am in front... with full support for the following 8 months.

What should I be looking for? 

The view that you want for movies, TV series etc

The maximum quality of the stream

Whether you want auto play or to be presented with a list of providers

Whether you want providers with captchas (you don't BTW)

Whether you want to download or just stream

Etc etc there are loads of options that you can customize to suit your preferences

On 23/02/2017 at 9:44 AM, BaldPlumber said:

Well exodus is up and running and I have installed the OpenSubtitles add-on but there are no subtitles for many of the latest films. Would you suggest any alternatives to OpenSubtitles?

Well exodus is up and running and I have installed the OpenSubtitles add-on but there are no subtitles for many of the latest films. Would you suggest any alternatives to OpenSubtitles?

Thai subs are sometimes hard to find. they like to either hardcode into the movie or use a strange format (not SRT) and also keep them secret requiring signup to private forums or Facebook pages.

English or Thai?

Sometimes hit and miss with the thai ones.

I use subscene as my backup.

Thai subs are sometimes hard to find. they like to either hardcode into the movie or use a strange format (not SRT) and also keep them secret requiring signup to private forums or Facebook pages.

Yeah and the subtitle author can also specify a typeface that you don't have, leaving you watching boxes on the screen.

You'll find that it's hard to get Thai subtitles for the latest releases simply because you are reliant on someone writing them.

Even for some of the older blockbuster stuff they're missing.

As I said, a bit hit and miss, but a much better chance with movies 1+ years old.

It's easier if you're downloading to disk as there are quite a lot of downloadable Thai subtitle resources available.

This also means that you can use a subtitle editor to change bits you don't like, e.g. colour, fonts etc

For the latest movies it will be hard to find subtitles, because they have to be written by someone.

For Thai subtitles you need the Garuda AD-TT font as it is the only one that support both Thai and Western script.

Before someone jumps on me, I know the Windows Arial will also support bot scripts, but that one is 23 Mb and is not free.

1 hour ago, BaldPlumber said:

Have you installed any Thai font to see if they can be displayed yet?

Kodi player has all the setting but the Thai language subtitles downloaded from OpenSubtitles just appear as empty boxes at the bottom of the screen. I have already selected Thai (Windows) as the default, using ariel.tff or something like that. The default language for subtitles is Thai but still no success. I am giving up tonight and will try again tomorrow. 

I am doing this on a laptop not an android box.

Archived