Purchasing an Android TV box or anything that can stream HBO, Showtime, ETC

John F Gill

For the latest movies it will be hard to find subtitles, because they have to be written by someone.

For Thai subtitles you need the Garuda AD-TT font as it is the only one that support both Thai and Western script.

Before someone jumps on me, I know the Windows Arial will also support bot scripts, but that one is 23 Mb and is not free.

Garuda bold TTF http://www.hawaii.edu/thai/thaifonts/Garuda-Bold.ttf

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Kodi player has all the setting but the Thai language subtitles downloaded from OpenSubtitles just appear as empty boxes at the bottom of the screen. I have already selected Thai (Windows) as the default, using ariel.tff or something like that. The default language for subtitles is Thai but still no success. I am giving up tonight and will try again tomorrow. 

I am doing this on a laptop not an android box.

It's easy to do on Windows.

First you need to find a unicode version of the arial font. It's a big file.

Then you just need to replace the kodi version, renaming your new font to Arial.TTF.

You might need to select Windows Thai as well, can't remember off the top of my head.

It's not infallible though, some Thai subtitles will defeat your best efforts to display them.

Thai font that works for XBMC/Kodi

arial.rar

6 hours ago, BaldPlumber said:

some Thai subtitles will defeat your best efforts to display them

Normally they are fake subs..just gibberish.

http://www.thaisubtitle.com

has real subs but you might need to convert from their SSA  format to SRT    I like to use  Subtitle Edit

http://www.nikse.dk/

34 minutes ago, johng said:

Thai font that works for XBMC/Kodi

arial.rar

Normally they are fake subs..just gibberish.

http://www.thaisubtitle.com

has real subs but you might need to convert from their SSA  format to SRT    I like to use  Subtitle Edit

http://www.nikse.dk/

The Thai subtitles in Opensubtitles are NOT fake subtitles, and there is nothing needed to be converted, you have to use the correct font.

I use them all the time and work perfect.

Arial, work with some Thai subtitles but is a hassle to set up correctly, while Garuda works a charm.

I messed around with Kodi, addons, etc, for about a month on my PC.  Just to get a feel for what it is.  This techy stuff is very tough for me.  I was about ready to buy a Minix box and go through all this again, when I contacted Allstars.  His build is nothing like what I had setup on my own in Kodi.  Like comparing a VW to a Porsche.  To say it's impressive is an understatement.  Way more than I'll ever be able to use.  Everything is there, literally everything!

So far, quite the happy camper.

I will stick with playing around on the PC for now that I have the subtitles working thanks to a couple of the posters on this thread. If, however, I decide to go with an android box I will get in touch with Allstars.

FYI I am only using Exodus on Kodi, and haven't set up any skins (or at least I don't think I have). It is just a very basic set up.  

On 12/02/2017 at 11:40 PM, RichCor said:

Same box I just recently acquired a few months ago.  

Very nice. So far no real issues -- other than the fake wireless update app that's been flagged as malware. 

The Amlogic S912 processor is getting bashed because of technical issues and unproven marketing claims, but my box works fine for what we do with it which is mostly watching YouTube or Thai-converted shows/movies. 

the s912 chipset gets bashed because Kodi devs dont like it, but if you buy a branded box , not the cheapest crap around, they will have a version/fork of kodi installed on their boxes that are configured to work with that boxes hardware.

Why anyone would buy a unbranded box and load it with crap and expect to have a positive experience I dont know.

1 hour ago, skippy121 said:

the s912 chipset gets bashed because Kodi devs dont like it, but if you buy a branded box , not the cheapest crap around, they will have a version/fork of kodi installed on their boxes that are configured to work with that boxes hardware.

Why anyone would buy a unbranded box and load it with crap and expect to have a positive experience I dont know.

The S912 get bashed because Kodi doesn't work properly on it. it will kick you out, get green screens and DTS-HD doesn't work.Nothing to do with the devs.

So far there isn't any "branded" box that use the S912 chip, for obvious reasons

Minix has been announcing and delaying the release of the U9-H with S912 chip, there is also a U9-H with S905X chip FYI, for over a year. Why you think that is?

I will now finally be available this month, so lets see how that works out, but I think the firmware updates for that box will be released at incredible fast intervals.

The so called no name boxes of which several renowned brands have been releasing new firmwares almost weekly also, and haven't fixed the issues yet.

I haven't found a single S912 box so far that performs as a S805 or S812 box, which are still my favourites, and I think that isn't gonna change with the Minix.

7 minutes ago, JaiMaai said:

Minix U9-h has been released in the last week or so. Beelink GT1 has been out for some time.

And did you alreay do a Google for Beelink Gt1 issues, Beelink is one of the renowned no name brands I mentioned in my post. There are PLENTY of S912 boxes on the market for more than 6 months, try to find me one that has no MAJOR issues

I Googled it for you

https://www.google.co.th/search?q=beelink+Gt1+issues&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-ab&gws_rd=cr&ei=XgW8WKbmKoSl0ATn0bnIAw

9 minutes ago, JaiMaai said:

Personal experience trumps google - does it not?

I have ZERO issues with it.

Sent from my SM-J200GU using Tapatalk

I have always learned that the experience of the majority trumps that of a single user, who probably isn't even aware of the real issues, because he doesn't use it to t's full extend.

The Beelink Gt1 was released August 2016, so far there have been 9 firmware updates, any suggestion why so many?

Hint : If it isn't broken it doesn't need a fix.

1 hour ago, Allstars said:

I have always learned that the experience of the majority trumps that of a single user, who probably isn't even aware of the real issues, because he doesn't use it to t's full extend.

So if it works it works! I have cheap Thai boxes (from Big C) which work great although I did buy a hdmi stick android box for a 1000 baht which isn't too brilliant but mostly because of the version of android , 4.01.2, but it was an impulse buy to see what it was like. I have an expensive fan cooled android box with a hard drive interface which wasn't compatible with the hard drive I bought lol and even in Thai there was no information about compatibility. I disagree with the above poster and I remove all the siht in Thai from the boxes I buy then put what I want on them.

19 minutes ago, sandrabbit said:

So if it works it works! I have cheap Thai boxes (from Big C) which work great although I did buy a hdmi stick android box for a 1000 baht which isn't too brilliant but mostly because of the version of android , 4.01.2, but it was an impulse buy to see what it was like. I have an expensive fan cooled android box with a hard drive interface which wasn't compatible with the hard drive I bought lol and even in Thai there was no information about compatibility. I disagree with the above poster and I remove all the siht in Thai from the boxes I buy then put what I want on them.

I think you missed the point, which was specifically about the issues with the Amlogic S912 processor.

By the way, XBMC?Kodi requires at least Android 4.2 to be installed, so how did you install it on a Android 4.0 firmware?

7 minutes ago, Allstars said:

I think you missed the point, which was specifically about the issues with the Amlogic S912 processor.

By the way, XBMC?Kodi requires at least Android 4.2 to be installed, so how did you install it on a Android 4.0 firmware?

There is an old version, I followed some links from a website explaining how to install it but it was convoluted and I forget which website. I will post the link for you when I find it again. The version of Kodi is no where near as polished as the current version.

I bought and recently received the Beelink M18 as it came highly recommended here at TV.

The box arrived and it worked for about an hour. I reset the box and same issue, works for about an hour or less and then freezes.

Beelink website is a waste of time. They have ZERO support.. ie no support or downloads section.

Unfortunately, I had ordered 2 boxes and the second should arrive by Tuesday. It's available if anyone wants it..

If you really want a good box at a decent price, check out Zidoo.tv

Their reviews and benchmarks are awesome and their interface is the best out there and top rated support.

If you want the best of the best, then it's Nvidia Shield and HiMedia. They are pricey but built like a tank and supported

Don't let anyone tell you need a rooted box. Kodi does require root.

And here we have the problem. I bought a Beelink GT1 and have no issues, in fact I'm really happy with it. A previous post above shows someone else with a bad experience. Read all the opinions and reviews you can find, then pay your money and take your chances.

Sent from my SM-J200GU using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Jeffrey346 said:

I bought and recently received the Beelink M18 as it came highly recommended here at TV.

The box arrived and it worked for about an hour. I reset the box and same issue, works for about an hour or less and then freezes.

Beelink website is a waste of time. They have ZERO support.. ie no support or downloads section.

Unfortunately, I had ordered 2 boxes and the second should arrive by Tuesday. It's available if anyone wants it..

If you really want a good box at a decent price, check out Zidoo.tv

Their reviews and benchmarks are awesome and their interface is the best out there and top rated support.

If you want the best of the best, then it's Nvidia Shield and HiMedia. They are pricey but built like a tank and supported

Don't let anyone tell you need a rooted box. Kodi does require root.

I recently bought the zidoo x9s, it is not compatable with 365 Sports and Expat Tv, sent it back and got a H96 pro +, works very well with all my apps.

2 minutes ago, Jeffrey346 said:

Just proves @JaiMaai point.. What works for one may not work for another..

BMW will fix the problem.. Beelink doesn't want to know you exist.

I'm not sure if I read your post correctly but you seem to contradict yourself. At one point you say that what works for one may not work for another, which seems valid only for a device you highly recommend, but not for the Beelink.

As far as I'm aware Beelink is one of the bigger Players in the set top box scene, and one of the few that have a working OTA update installed on their devices, and I dare to say that a faultless experience with 73 devices holds some more value as that of a single user.

What you experience is probably a glitch in the firmware which can happen with any electronic device, but as I told you already, I have the latest version of it and can flash it in merely a few minutes.

6 minutes ago, Allstars said:

I'm not sure if I read your post correctly but you seem to contradict yourself. At one point you say that what works for one may not work for another, which seems valid only for a device you highly recommend, but not for the Beelink.

As far as I'm aware Beelink is one of the bigger Players in the set top box scene, and one of the few that have a working OTA update installed on their devices, and I dare to say that a faultless experience with 73 devices holds some more value as that of a single user.

What you experience is probably a glitch in the firmware which can happen with any electronic device, but as I told you already, I have the latest version of it and can flash it in merely a few minutes.

Could be a firmware issue.. but why buy a product from a company who won't support their own product.

If you Google Best 2017 Android TV Boxes, Beelink never makes the list..

Here's the point: People pay good money and should get service and support. Check their M18 forum, every post is a complaint with very few replies.

1 minute ago, Jeffrey346 said:

Could be a firmware issue.. but why buy a product from a company who won't support their own product.

If you Google Best 2017 Android TV Boxes, Beelink never makes the list..

Here's the point: People pay good money and should get service and support. Check their M18 forum, every post is a complaint with very few replies.

The only devices that make the best Android box list are the overpriced devices like Minix and Nvidia, and surprisingly also the heavily sponsored Xiaomi which comes without a LAN port LOL.

So because a device, of which several tens of thousands have been sold, has a forum with SIX negative posts it is deemed a inferior device.

You don't want to be taken serious I hope.

10 minutes ago, Allstars said:

The only devices that make the best Android box list are the overpriced devices like Minix and Nvidia, and surprisingly also the heavily sponsored Xiaomi which comes without a LAN port LOL.

So because a device, of which several tens of thousands have been sold, has a forum with SIX negative posts it is deemed a inferior device.

You don't want to be taken serious I hope.

That's correct.. all complaints.. nothing good reported. 

Overpriced are the only good devices. Did you get that info from the same source that several tens of thousands have been sold.

Here are just a few of the best rated boxes. Most are average prices

Android TV devices, obscure PCs and even a Raspberry Pi
  • Cubox i2 (US-only) ...
  • CompuLab Utilite (US-only) ...
  • Gem Box. ...
  • Raspberry Pi 3. ...
  • Razer Forge TV. ...
  • WeTek Core. ...
  • Matricom G-Box Q2. ...
  • Build your own! The beauty of Kodi (and XBMC before it) is that it's so configurable as a piece of software

5 minutes ago, Jeffrey346 said:

That's correct.. all complaints.. nothing good reported. 

Overpriced are the only good devices. Did you get that info from the same source that several tens of thousands have been sold.

Here are just a few of the best rated boxes. Most are average prices

https://www.google.co.th/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwi1kqT148DSAhUBq5QKHXdnCQ4QFgglMAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.techradar.com%2Fnews%2Fhome-cinema%2Fbest-kodi-xbmc-streaming-boxes-2016-1320206&usg=AFQjCNHvreyV3SSOAcBndnDKc7bACwN8Aw&sig2=owWvS0fkUZVfZ2afUl-usQ&bvm=bv.148747831,d.dGo

Android TV devices, obscure PCs and even a Raspberry Pi
  • Cubox i2 (US-only) ...
  • CompuLab Utilite (US-only) ...
  • Gem Box. ...
  • Raspberry Pi 3. ...
  • Razer Forge TV. ...
  • WeTek Core. ...
  • Matricom G-Box Q2. ...
  • Build your own! The beauty of Kodi (and XBMC before it) is that it's so configurable as a piece of software

I'm out of here because now you really show your ignorance.

Most of the boxes in your post are are mini pPC's intended for the tech savvy, to which you clearly don't belong as you're unable to flash a readily available  firmware.

Cubox I2 has 512 Mb RAM, so forget about a usable Kodi on that since Kodi requires 2Gb to work as expected

Here is a review of your $99 Gem Box, so I guess we can scrap that also off the list of BEST boxes. I think that pcmag can be considered a credible source

http://www.pcmag.com/review/346718/emtec-gem-box

BOTTOM LINE

Even at its low price, Emtec's GEM Box microconsole is an underpowered, underequipped, and underwhelming Android gaming device.

And a Picture of your best box Raspberry PI3, not sure that is what everyone on this forum was waiting for.

Razer Forge is a box developed with gaming in mind, so overkill for a Kodi installation, and at $166 hardly what anyone is waiting for

Finally here is a test review of your Matricom box, hardly praising I have to say

http://androidpcreview.com/review-is-the-matricom-g-box-q-worth-it/3905/

The Verdict

I have a mixed opinion on the G-Box Q.

trying to play 4K UHD videos was a complete failure. Android TV boxes already struggle with Netflix in HD, so this will just add to cord-cutter’s troubles. Many users are having trouble upgrading the firmware, and I can relate firsthand how frustrating that is. We’ll see how the support ticket play out, but I’m not terribly confident that it will be resolved.

Now please come back when you know what you're talking about.

15 hours ago, Jeffrey346 said:

I'm interested.

Are you selling it or giving it away as a doorstop?

• 2 weeks later...

Like many on TVF (i.e. craigt3365 and others) I also was disgusted with the TV channel changes/cancellations that TrueVision kept doing ...

I made a very wise move like many of us have done on TVF ... I contacted Allstars for his help/advice about android TV box(s) ...

I am very satisfied/happy with my new TV box/KODI ... I get so many movies and tv shows to watch that it will take years and years and I still can't watch'em all ... these android TV boxes/KODI are totally amazing and mind blowing ... I also will no longer be paying 2,100 baht a month for limited TrueVisions TV entertainment ... cost of TV box will be paid back in 3 months, after that everything is free except for internet cost

Wish I had done this several years ago ... if you are unhappy with TrueVisions and want to save 2,100 baht a month I suggest you contact/PM allstars ... you won't regret it

Kodi is life changing in terms of home entertainment, the catch is that it is ever evolving and requires some learning to maximize its potential and keep it current and up and running. Once you lear the basics you can add more addons fix problems and maximize your viewing experience. You can also get pay addons for a small fee that optimize your streams or provide access to premium live veiwing platforms.

Even though Kodi is free and you can buy a "box" from as little as 2000 baht to as high as 30,000 plus I whole heartedly support people who for a fee will source a quality box, program it, and teach you to use it for a fair price. 

If your cost was 6300 ( 3 months of True Visions) then you got a good deal. I would say if it's an ok box you've paid probably less than $100 for the sourcing, programming and teaching how to use, of the box. That's a good deal, investing a few dollars to have someone do that for you is justifiable in my opinion.

When I bought my first box around 4 years ago I paid a guy almost double that. He made 2 trips to my house and spent several hours teaching me XBMC ( Kodi) and frankly it was probably the best money I have ever spent in Thailand. I've since moved on to more powerful boxes and HTPC's but my Kodi learning curve was jump started by the guy who sold me my original box. While people may say I was ripped off I see it as a small price considering the phenomenal veiwing pleasure I have had since being introduced to Kodi.

Consider this. As we live in a Buddhist country that believes in reincarnation, you can now sleep easy knowing you can enjoy tv and movie veiwing content for your next 10 lifetimes without watching a rerun. Now that's a bonus. 

Archived