Retirement visa in usa or Thailand

So after reading a few threads on visas i got a little confused (no surprise there)

If i convert an non immigrant O visa to a retirement visa with multiple entry in Thailand is that different than getting a retirement visa in nyc? I seem to be reading that it is. What in interoreting is that if i get it in thailand its not a true retirement visa but a 1 year rerirement vusa with extensions of stay. If i get one in nyc then its a true visa....help

Sent from my SM-G920V using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

You can extend a non "O" visa for retirement purposes for 1 tear after you are in Thailand.  You would then purchase a multiple entry reentry permit that would allow you to leave and reenter.  The extension costs 1900 baht and the reentry permit 3800 baht.  No criminal background check is required but you have to either have 800000 baht in a Thai bank in your name only for 2 months on the first application for an extension (3 months there after), a letter from your Embassy stating that you make at lease 65000 baht/month, or a combination of both.

You can obtain a "O-A' long stay visa in London that will give you 1 year permission to stay every time you enter.  A criminal background check is required but the financials don't have to be seasoned.  At the end of the visa validity it can be extended for another year as above. 

If you've are planning to live in Thailand for 1 year + you have a couple of options.

1. Non Immigrant 'O-A' available from the US only. This is valid for unlimited entries for 1 year. Every time you enter you are granted a 1 year stay. It's possible to stay in Thailand for nearly two years using this visa if a final entry is made just before the visa expires.
  2. A Single Entry Non Immigrant 'O' available from the US, Embassies/Consulates in Asia or from immigration in Thailand as a prerequisite to a 1 year extension of stay. You are given 90 days on entry with this visa and can apply for a 1 year extension of stay within the last 30 days. You can buy a multiple entry re-entry permit (3,800 baht) and come and go as often as you want during the year.

There isn't really a "retirement visa". Visas are used for entry and the permission to stay granted on entry can be extended for up to 1 year if you're over 50.

You need you to decide which visa to initially enter with and once the permission to stay (1 year or 90 days) has expired apply for a 1 year extension of stay based on retirement (commonly wrongly called a retirement visa) that can be renewed each year.

Edited by elviajero

Well im already in thailand on a single entry tourist visa 60 day. Leaving end of april. If i convert That to a non O visa, i think i wont be able to apply for a multi entry as i will be leaving thailand with more than 30 days left on the initial conversion to the O visa. My goal is to leave end of april with the goal of returning in october and staying for 8 months then back to the states again for the summer. Any suggestions on what i should do?

2 hours ago, bangkokbanjo said:

Well im already in thailand on a single entry tourist visa 60 day. Leaving end of april. If i convert That to a non O visa, i think i wont be able to apply for a multi entry as i will be leaving thailand with more than 30 days left on the initial conversion to the O visa. My goal is to leave end of april with the goal of returning in october and staying for 8 months then back to the states again for the summer. Any suggestions on what i should do?

You don't have time to do a conversion and extension of stay during this visit.

For now you can extend your 60 day tourist entry by 30 days at immigration. If that doesn't cover your stay until the end of April you can do a border hop for a 30 day visa exempt entry that can also be be extended by 30 days if required.

If your are going to be returning home every year I would suggest a Non 'O-A' is your best choice, which you can get in the US prior to your October visit.

Using the Non 'O' / 1 year extension is not very practical if you're not living in Thailand full time.