Young soldier found dead in Chon Buri still clasping his mobile phone

webfact

Young soldier dead still clasping his mobile phone

2pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

CHON BURI: -- A young soldier was found dead in his Chonburi room yesterday still holding his phone connected to a mains charger.

The tragic discovery was made by the wife of the victim after returning home from night work in the morning, reported Daily News.

Police said it appears like the latest case of electrocution after the man had used the phone then apparently fell asleep.

Dead at the scene was 21 year old Phudit Sae-eung who was attached to the training division at the navy base in Satahip. Phan Thong police said that his right palm showed signs of him having been electrocuted.

The body was found by his wife Busadee Moohuana, 31, after she returned home from the night shift.

The body was sent for autopsy to confirm the cause of death.

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-02-13

The converter from 220v to USB level voltage must have failed.

combined with the power strip that does not have a ground connection on the plug in the wall.

Why? Because that is how power strips are sold in Thailand. Three prongs on the strip and no ground plug for the wall because old building in Thailand don't have ground connections. 

So even if you did have a proper ground at the wall, these power strips eliminate that safety feature.

Good luck everybody.

So many accidental electrocution could be avoided if Thais could understand the benefits of proper grounding. Same with saving their electronic toys from unwanted surges.

So easy to install and they already have access to all the necessary equipment to ground their homes/offices/work place/etc...

So sad poor guy :sad:   I wonder what make the phone is.

I also noticed that  NCC1701A  a three pin extension strip with probably a twin cable leading to most likely a two pin wall socket. 

Earthing would not help for this type of accident. 

Power adapters don't have an earth connection (they always have 2 pin plugs to the mains). 

An ELCB or earth leakage circuit breaker is the only thing that could have saved him. 

It detects the fault current going through him to Earth and not returning via the neutral connection. 

The capacitance of him and the bed is enough for 30 milliamperes to flow and kill him. 

31 minutes ago, aussie11950 said:

Earthing would not help for this type of accident. 

Power adapters don't have an earth connection (they always have 2 pin plugs to the mains). 

An ELCB or earth leakage circuit breaker is the only thing that could have saved him. 

It detects the fault current going through him to Earth and not returning via the neutral connection. 

The capacitance of him and the bed is enough for 30 milliamperes to flow and kill him. 

Quote, "Power adapters don't have an earth connection (they always have 2 pin plugs to the mains)".

If you mean the power board/strip, well that's not true because many of them do, it's just the cheaper ones that don't. Not only that the cheaper ones show that they can accommodate three pin plugs, however the earth pin hole is a blank.

However if you mean the adapter to step the voltage down, then it wouldn't matter if it did have an earth because there is no way of connecting it to the device being charged.

Irrespective of all that, the electrical wiring, the system and the appliances here in Thailand are terrible and many are death traps.

This is not a Thai specific problem. Some months back a women died in nearly identical circumstances in Australia. It is a result of cheap chargers/power supplies that do not meet any quality or safety standars being produced in China and sold by money hungry so-and-sos without any consideration for their customers

8 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

The converter from 220v to USB level voltage must have failed.

combined with the power strip that does not have a ground connection on the plug in the wall.

Why? Because that is how power strips are sold in Thailand. Three prongs on the strip and no ground plug for the wall because old building in Thailand don't have ground connections. 

So even if you did have a proper ground at the wall, these power strips eliminate that safety feature.

Good luck everybody.

RIP young fellow. Another victim of corner cutting. 

4 hours ago, Godang said:

Looking at the photo the lead that goes to power is plugged into its own socket therefore no electricity 

The photo doesn't show that at all, perhaps another appliance is plugged in there as he was electrocuted!

As another person already mention, I am not an electrician either. One thing though must have been very unlucky for this man. I know it is not the volt that kills you, and it´s the ampere doing this work. Anyway you need a certain amount of volt pushing the ampere through the body. That is usually about same as a 9 volt battery, but even that is only killing very small people or those that are ill and weak. That also have to be in a circuit that can move in on one side through the heart and out on the other side.

Mostly a phone charger only deliver 5 volt, which according to me should not be able to push as much ampere that is needed through the body to kill. Also this person only has one hand connected to the phone which doesn´t make it a circuit. As I say I might be wrong, because I lack the knowledge needed. In that case I welcome any answer that can bring me light on the matter.

4 hours ago, Howard said:

This is not a Thai specific problem. Some months back a women died in nearly identical circumstances in Australia. It is a result of cheap chargers/power supplies that do not meet any quality or safety standars being produced in China and sold by money hungry so-and-sos without any consideration for their customers

And  those  products   being  ordered  to  specs for cost  for  maximum profit. For a  nominal expense  the  manufacture  could   manufacture  to a  safer standard  but  that is  not  what is  specified  in contract. 

17 hours ago, Godang said:

Looking at the photo the lead that goes to power is plugged into its own socket therefore no electricity 

Well you can't quite see if that is the case, it looks a bit like what you say, but the lead that is plugged in to the strip may lead to somewhere else like a fan or something.

On 2/13/2017 at 7:56 PM, Get Real said:

As another person already mention, I am not an electrician either. One thing though must have been very unlucky for this man. I know it is not the volt that kills you, and it´s the ampere doing this work. Anyway you need a certain amount of volt pushing the ampere through the body. That is usually about same as a 9 volt battery, but even that is only killing very small people or those that are ill and weak. That also have to be in a circuit that can move in on one side through the heart and out on the other side.

Mostly a phone charger only deliver 5 volt, which according to me should not be able to push as much ampere that is needed through the body to kill. Also this person only has one hand connected to the phone which doesn´t make it a circuit. As I say I might be wrong, because I lack the knowledge needed. In that case I welcome any answer that can bring me light on the matter.

Well presented a gentlemen how refreshing. 

15 hours ago, hyku1147 said:

Image3.jpg

That is what I suggested and I'm not so decrepit that I need you to highlight the cable that I knew was probably that of another appliance.  Why didn't you post that to Godang?

Archived