Samui flights cheaper for islanders after weekend protest

webfact

Samui flights cheaper for islanders after weekend protest

3pm.jpg

Picture: Thairath

KOH SAMUI: -- Bangkok Airways say they have reduced some air ticket prices for Samui residents.

The move follows a protest at the weekend by about forty people complaining about the company's high prices for internal flights to and from the island's only airport, reported Thairath.

Residents will need to hold the "Samui Resident Card" to get the discounts. One way flights from the island to Bangkok or U-Tapao will start at 2,000 baht though these will be limited.

The regular price will be 2,750 baht (a saving of 505 baht from the previous price).

There will also be discounts on other routes fro residents on internal an international flights. Charges for the use of the airport have been reduced for residents from 300 baht to 200 baht per flight.

The protest was at the weekend, though the airline said the measures took effect from February 9th, last Thursday.

The company also countered claims there were irregularities in the agreement they have with the use of the Treasury land on which the airport is built.

The agreement was signed back in 1989 by the company before it was renamed as Bangkok. Airways.

A residents' group has said that the airline is not following the terms of the agreement but the company said that the positioning of the runway is all above board.

Source: Thairath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-02-13

Nice to see that there was some response to the protests. Keep up the pressure on this pirate organization. Monopolies are never a good thing. Sometime in the future, the Thai government will figure this one out. True is a very good example of this with their unbelievably mediocre satellite offerings. There should be several airlines which operate between Samui and BKK. The government should just admit it was a huge mistake to grant them exclusive use of this airport. They DO NOT own the land. They lease the land and just built the airport. 

53 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Nice to see that there was some response to the protests. Keep up the pressure on this pirate organization. Monopolies are never a good thing. Sometime in the future, the Thai government will figure this one out. True is a very good example of this with their unbelievably mediocre satellite offerings. There should be several airlines which operate between Samui and BKK. The government should just admit it was a huge mistake to grant them exclusive use of this airport. They DO NOT own the land. They lease the land and just built the airport. 

Several airlines do operate. It is not just Bangkok airways anymore. However, as it is still very much a captive market, the prices are always higher than they "should" be were the destination airport less "controlled".

The regular price will be ...
It is not a regular price.
That is  their so-called  Web Promotion price (actual 3300 Baht + 300 Airporttax + Payment fees).
For example: For this week this price is not at all to get.
Here the monopoly is only painted verbally beautifully.
The price reality looks different.

baprice.png

1 hour ago, SGD said:

Several airlines do operate. It is not just Bangkok airways anymore. However, as it is still very much a captive market, the prices are always higher than they "should" be were the destination airport less "controlled".

Only one airline operates between USM and BKK. 

1 hour ago, SGD said:

They allowed Thai air to operate, as long as they agreed to keep their prices higher than BA. And the other airlines operate in non competing markets. It was merely a dog and pony show, meant to placate those who were accusing them of running a monopoly. And of course the weak government went along with it. Why regulate them? Why protect the public? For what? 

56 minutes ago, tomacht8 said:

The regular price will be ...
It is not a regular price.
That is  their so-called  Web Promotion price (actual 3300 Baht + 300 Airporttax + Payment fees).
For example: For this week this price is not at all to get.
Here the monopoly is only painted verbally beautifully.
The price reality looks different.

baprice.png

Crazy, stupid, inane, pirate pricing. And what does Little P. to to protect his cherished people, and tourism? Nothing, as usual. 

Little P. Moving Thailand backwards, at an alarming pace. 

Normally when I book with my residents card I get close to the same price as any promotions at that time ... With this further discount it should mostly be a lower price for residents ..

And then for every 10 flights ( sometimes five ) they give a free flight .. so in effect a further discount . 

3 hours ago, Tchooptip said:

What is the resident card? 

A "resident card" is as it says for "residents" at Koh Samui. You qualify if you are registered permanent resident on the island, proven by for example House Book or Work Permit (there are several other options). You can read more at Bangkok Airways' homepage...:smile:

3 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Bangkok Airways invested in the airport, and at that time nobody else was interested in building one; and they pay a lease for the land, which is a very normal way to make a business in Thailand, most of central Bangkok is for example build on leased land; there's nothing suspect or wrong with that kind of business set-up.

It's not monopoly; any airline can use the airport, if there are slots available, and pay the fees; the latter is quite high for USM due to the airport is funded for private investment, instead of tax-payers funds.

Bangkok Air has two more private airports in Thailand, Trat on the mainland by Koh Chang, and Sukhothai; and they are planning to build one more on the mainland north of Phuket near Khao Lak.

:smile:

16 hours ago, khunPer said:

Bangkok Airways invested in the airport, and at that time nobody else was interested in building one; and they pay a lease for the land, which is a very normal way to make a business in Thailand, most of central Bangkok is for example build on leased land; there's nothing suspect or wrong with that kind of business set-up.

It's not monopoly; any airline can use the airport, if there are slots available, and pay the fees; the latter is quite high for USM due to the airport is funded for private investment, instead of tax-payers funds.

Bangkok Air has two more private airports in Thailand, Trat on the mainland by Koh Chang, and Sukhothai; and they are planning to build one more on the mainland north of Phuket near Khao Lak.

:smile:

Orwellian alternative facts. There is nothing honest about your post. Nobody is allowed to use the Samui airport, without the express consent of BA. Air Asia would pay those fees in a nanosecond, and nearly close down the entirety of BA's business to and from the island, overnight. They allow, who they want to allow. They allow Thai, since there is an agreement that Thai will always charge more than BA. Please. When posting try to at least approximate the truth. It is an absolute monopoly, and the government has been reckless and completely indifferent to allow it. Granted, they did pay for the improvements to the land. But, when their lease expired a few years ago it was the obligation of the administration of noluck to not renew it. Of course they did. Nobody was consulted. There was never any feedback, nor any concern for the public. Your agency, which is paying you to do PR for BA, should be aware of your lack of ability to convince us of alternative facts. 

17 hours ago, khunPer said:

A "resident card" is as it says for "residents" at Koh Samui. You qualify if you are registered permanent resident on the island, proven by for example House Book or Work Permit (there are several other options). You can read more at Bangkok Airways' homepage...:smile:

I guess not everyThais know that, my owner now stays in Bangkok due to her health problem, but comes to Samui every month or so, she does not know. Also my dil her husband ... 

Thanks for your answer , I'm going to BA homepage :jap: 

5 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Orwellian alternative facts. There is nothing honest about your post. Nobody is allowed to use the Samui airport, without the express consent of BA. Air Asia would pay those fees in a nanosecond, and nearly close down the entirety of BA's business to and from the island, overnight. They allow, who they want to allow. They allow Thai, since there is an agreement that Thai will always charge more than BA. Please. When posting try to at least approximate the truth. It is an absolute monopoly, and the government has been reckless and completely indifferent to allow it. Granted, they did pay for the improvements to the land. But, when their lease expired a few years ago it was the obligation of the administration of noluck to not renew it. Of course they did. Nobody was consulted. There was never any feedback, nor any concern for the public. Your agency, which is paying you to do PR for BA, should be aware of your lack of ability to convince us of alternative facts. 

And how do you know that Air Asia would pay the fees in a nanosecond..? :smile:

13 minutes ago, khunPer said:

And how do you know that Air Asia would pay the fees in a nanosecond..? :smile:

They have expressed an interest in that route publicly, on several occasions. They could use it as a mini hub. Hong Kong. China. Singapore. KL. On and on and on.

3 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

They have expressed an interest in that route publicly, on several occasions. They could use it as a mini hub. Hong Kong. China. Singapore. KL. On and on and on.

Yes, but they did not wish to pay the fees, the news-stories then also said (if I remember right, without Googling first)...:smile:

Edit: Furthermore it was a question of available "slots", as the airspace was limited to 36 operations a day.

What's the deal with those low-cost carriers? Did they kick them out? One year ago I could fly with Firefly from Penang to USM for less than the price of a flight to from USM to Bangkok. Now they stopped these flights and to go to Penang you have to first take a two-hour flight to KL for 20,000+ Baht.

It's not just flights though is it?

The whole island is run to exploit foreign tourists.

A taxi is B400 before it moves; how does this figure vs B35 in BKK. Not one taxi will ever turn a meter on. There are virtually no pick-up buses so it becomes a monopoly for the excessive taxis.

I'm sure everyone must be aware of it; the local police, the governor ....even those higher up must be aware of the dishonesty surrounding Samui.

I look forward to the day when Section 44 is enacted, the NACC and the DSI become involved to make the island a fair place for all.(Before you all reply .......I know ..... it'll never happen)!

On 2/17/2017 at 10:03 AM, MichaelJohn said:

A taxi is B400 before it moves; how does this figure vs B35 in BKK. Not one taxi will ever turn a meter on. There are virtually no pick-up buses so it becomes a monopoly for the excessive taxis.

I'm sure everyone must be aware of it; the local police, the governor ....even those higher up must be aware of the dishonesty surrounding Samui.

I look forward to the day when Section 44 is enacted, the NACC and the DSI become involved to make the island a fair place for all.(Before you all reply .......I know ..... it'll never happen)!

the taxis there exploit thais too, one of the worse islands in thailand I've been on regarding to the taxi / transportation issue.

4 hours ago, mike324 said:

the taxis there exploit thais too, one of the worse islands in thailand I've been on regarding to the taxi / transportation issue.

When settle in Thailand, one soon adjust to the Thai money and level of expenses – I live for example at Samui and think taxis are a rip-off here (Thais pay same price as foreigners), literally just around the corner cost 200 baht or more – but when my friends from "home" come, they look at me when I talk about expensive taxis and they shall count some 400 baht to 600 baht getting to somewhere, or back to their hotel; they think it's cheap, compared to taxi costs at home..!

I still remember my last visit in Stockholm a few years ago: a taxi literally around the corner was more than 200 Swedish kroner on the meter, i.e. almost 1,000 baht...:shock1:

And here is the source to the problem, most tourists (not all) don't mind paying the asked for price, don't even think about it, as they convert it to home currency and home prices. And more-and-more tourists comes to Samui on vacation to be spoiled a little, and they are prepared to pay for it, and already plan to spend 3,000 baht and way up a night for a room, so neither taxi-prices, nor level of Bangkok Airways tickets, matters at all (many may even have the Samui-fare included in a total ticket price). It's business and free market, so as long enough folks gladly pay the price, why change it..? :whistling:

On 2/17/2017 at 10:03 AM, MichaelJohn said:

You must have gotten something very wrong, because TAT here in nathon will tell you that EVERY taxi on samui uses the meter! :smile:

• 4 weeks later...

Archived