Samui flights cheaper for islanders after weekend protest

webfact

I just picked up a residents card ( no fee at present ) for my daughter 11yrs .. previously was only issued to 12 or over ..

In the past , on occasion , my prices with the residents card have been cheaper  than the  child fare , now with the reduced fares I'm sure they are . 

2 hours ago, samuijimmy said:

These banners are hung around the island this week.... only word in English is "Monopoly"

The locals must be protesting again!

[Image removed in answer]

Protesting about giving the airport land back – from earlier news-feed there is a story about the airport leased some extra land when extending the runway, but the lessor had not full rights to lease that land to the airport; however as often, case not crystal clear, so we aliens may not understand it all...

• 1 month later...

I'm Russian, got my Bangkok Airways Samui residence card a month back. My flights are now 2000-2750 baht to/from bangkok. Bookable via callcenter or directly at the office in the airport/chaweng. NOT via website (website shows no discount).

The only requirement for getting the card is that you need to prove that you live on Samui for more than 12 months.

I think the resident card discounts are now quite decent and actually comparable price wise to flight leaving from Surat if booked without much notice.

I booked a day in advance and got a one way flight USM to BKK for 2,000 baht. Checked low cost airlines from Surat and the prices were about 1,200 baht one way.

Ok ok so you think well that's 800 baht?

Factor in the ferry, bus, food and not to mention the whole lot more extra travel time spent (which can be quite exhausting), it became pretty clear the 200 baht or so potential saving to fly from Surat was definitely not worth it in the end.

Even if I were to book in advance on the low cost airlines and get a flight for 600-700 baht, after all the other expenses factored in like the ferry and bus and food, if I weigh it up, is that 800 baht or so saved really worth it? For me personally I would pay the extra 800 baht for time and energy saved.

Total travel and wait time before I was actually on the plane was less than an hour. 15 min drive to the airport, arrived 45 min before the flight departed. Arrived in Bangkok 1 hour later. Total travel time 2 hours from my doorstep to arriving to Bangkok airport.

However if i calculate the journey via Surat it goes up to 15 min drive to ferry terminal, arrive 15 min before. 1.5 hour min ferry ride. Half hour waiting for bus to fill up. 1.5 hour bus to airport. Wait at least another 1.5 hr in the airport. Then the actual flight of 1 hr.

Total time at least 6hrs, usually more.

If 4 people can travel direct to and from Samui for 16,000THB then that is progress. Before it was around 40,000THB. I'm happy to pay 2,000THB for a direct flight to avoid the inconvenience of travelling to Surat Thani Airport.

Archived