The land of smiles and fat bellies

rosco14

Went to my local Tesco-lotus yesterday and there was 12 women in the meat department and they were all over weight or obese.  Thailand has the 2nd highest level of obsity in ASEAN, little wonder with donut shops everywhere and people clutching their sugar laden iced coffees and teas.   I went to Vietnam earlier this year and I didn't notice a single overweight person.  That country is ranked 184th in world for obesity levels. Couldn't live there though, too many motorbikes.   I try and keep myself fit and active for many reasons and that includes being good role model for my 3 year old son.  In 15 years time if he fancies big girls he will have a smorgasbord to choose from.

My first of many trips to Thailand was in the mid 1980’s; then didn’t return for 14 years between 2000 to 2014 (been a single parent meant I couldn’t travel). When I arrived here in 2014, the first thing that I noticed was the locals were getting taller, especially the Chinese – Thais, and getting fatter, mainly the ethic Thai’s

The availability and range of foods is so much greater now than when I first came here; unfortunately this includes western style junk food. It saddens me when I go to places such as 7/11 and see parents buying their young children bags of chips and soft drinks, and not 10 meters away are venders selling food such as fresh fruit (at a cheaper price).

In my opinion the op was not Thai bashing but stating an unfortunate reality. Thailand is just catching up to most western countries.

• 2 weeks later...

It is really a socioeconomic issue.  

In all of the history of Thailand, it was never conceivable that somebody could eat too much food. 50 years ago there was little in the way of the 'super concentrated' foods like sugar, syrup, oil and what not. As these things became more readily available all food, not just snacks, that most people eat have tons of added sugar and oil.  Add to that sweet teas and desserts and Thai having one of the best cost of living to income ratios in the world.  

Thai Gen Y people are slowly catching on. You are seeing more 'clean foods' in 7/11 but you really need to watch out for the Grandma's and the Aunties. They will ply you with sugar laced Thai dishes and sweet teas until your stomach bursts. Even 20 something Thai's usually don't have a clue. 

You can see in the Phillipines the 'extra tyre' that many locals have because of the amount of crap in their foods. Thing is, most can't even afford to eat 3 square meals a day. I imagine Thailand is going to be far worse in terms of obesity come 2020-2025.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm amazed how much rice people eat with their food.  If you go to a curry shop they'll put up to 2 cups of rice down, with the food on top.  I don't take any, or just about a quarter cup. Takes awhile to train them not to shovel it on, but they get the point after a few visits.  Still charge the same though :)

I also see people order some moo ping, maybe three sticks, with three bags of sticky rice.  That stuff has the same glycemic index as table sugar - 100.

When I first moved here in 92 there was far less junk food too, and I agree about the sugary drinks, people weren't guzzling them down like they do now.  When I go to starbucks for my tall black brewed, 90% of the customers are ordering what are basically milkshakes.

I agree regarding the amount of white rice in many dishes. I've started  cook many things of my meals or purchase already cooked brown rice (lower glycemic), and sometimes black rice. I don't know if the black rice is healthier or lower glycemic but it has a texture much closer to brown rice. Cooking food yourself provides total control over every ingredient and also portion size. That's key to consistently maintaining a healthy diet.

17 hours ago, SiamBeast said:

The #1 problem here is the "green tea". Even my wife told me "drink green tea, it's tea from herbs, it's good for you". I had to explain to her that it was just another sugary drink.

Try Thai Tea. That's worse....awful....

• 2 weeks later...

Same as in China and Japan, since per capita rice consumption in Thailand has been on the decline for a number of years, I hardly think it's the rice that's making many gain weight.

I still eat plenty of starchy foods like rice and potatoes as part of my own diet, with substantially less meat and dairy than I used to eat and I've been slowly losing weight over the last couple of years.  I make sure, I never go hungry either.   When it comes to junk food, I just don't party every day like I used to. 

Archived