Airport transfer to Patong Hotel

sweatalot

We are planning a trip to Patong next month. Booked a hotel already. The hotel told us we can book a private van for 4 persons to pick us up at the airport. They want 1200 Baht one way.

Is this a fair and normal price in Phuket?

Any recommendations for a better price?

Thanx in advance

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, carlyai said:

Just been there 4 weeks ago. We (wife and I ) booked the car from the hotel we were staying at (the Expat hotel ) and was B700 from the airport to the Expat hotel.

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

we will stay at paripas Resort, Patong, the hotel offered a booking for 1200 Baht

You haven't even got to Phuket and already your negative transport experience has started.

Unfortunately, it only gets worse.  

We hadn't been there for years and had a great time. Stayed just at the end of Walking street, nice hotel with room around the pool. Beach and water looked pretty clean Good Good, all good. But there again we like Bangkok and everywhere we go, even Bangkok China Town during Chinese New Year.

10 hours ago, irishken said:

Haven't been in a few years but what happened to walking outside to the Taxi stand and getting one from there. 4 people in a taxi i'd say will cost max 800 Baht.

That's my point.  He's not even here yet and they have already tried to rip him off 400 to 500 baht.

Wait until he wants to travel anywhere on the island during his holiday, using the airport to Patong 700 to 800 baht airport taxi as a price guide.    

Post *3 said it cost them 700 baht from airport to Patong which is very reasonable for a ride that usually takes more than a hour

Poor People can always catch the airport bus or a shared mini bus and save money, both available at the airport the majority of the time

6 hours ago, madmax2 said:

Post *3 said it cost them 700 baht from airport to Patong which is very reasonable for a ride that usually takes more than a hour

Poor People can always catch the airport bus or a shared mini bus and save money, both available at the airport the majority of the time

As per Post 3, are you suggesting the OP ring The Expat Hotel and book their car and driver to take them to the Paripas Resort?  :cheesy:

Can't you see the Paripas Resort is overcharging?  Hence, the transport rip off has already started, and the OP isn't ever here yet.

Sure, the airport taxis are 700 to 800 baht, and the journey takes more than an hour, so what's the OP going to think when he gets quoted 400 to 500 baht for a bench seat, in a non-air conditioned vehicle, to go on a 10 minute journey????  

As per Post 3, are you suggesting the OP ring The Expat Hotel and book their car and driver to take them to the Paripas Resort?  :cheesy:

Can't you see the Paripas Resort is overcharging?  Hence, the transport rip off has already started, and the OP isn't ever here yet.

Sure, the airport taxis are 700 to 800 baht, and the journey takes more than an hour, so what's the OP going to think when he gets quoted 400 to 500 baht for a bench seat, in a non-air conditioned vehicle, to go on a 10 minute journey????  

We caught one of those colourful disco Tuk runs and was B 200 to go to the seafood restaurant opposite the fire station. Good meal. They said the price was B200 for all the Tuk runs in that area. Took a while to get to the restaurant, because of the traffic and one way, but to walk back wasn't far. You wouldn't know if you were a first time visitor and you could easy pay B500 for a trip the first Day, but you'de wish up after that.

15 minutes ago, NamKangMan said:

What are you on about now

Just walk out of the airport terminal and the touts will quote you 1000 baht to just about anywhere in phuket

Start to walk away from them towards the meter taxis and they instantly drop their price

700 baht to Rawai for instance which i consider very reasonable

You don't have to ask any resort or hotel for a quote as you should know since you claim to travel away from phuket so often

You are they only person on this forum constantly complaining about the cost of transport here  like a broken record

Stop sober and ride the motorbike you claim to own when you go out and you wont have a transport problem

24 minutes ago, madmax2 said:

Just walk out of the airport terminal and the touts will quote you 1000 baht to just about anywhere in phuket

Start to walk away from them towards the meter taxis and they instantly drop their price

You don't have to ask any resort or hotel for a quote as you should know since you claim to travel away from phuket so often

You are they only person on this forum constantly complaining about the cost of transport here  like a broken record

Stop sober and ride the motorbike you claim to own when you go out and you wont have a transport problem

Can you read, and comprehend????  Who said anything about asking a hotel for a quote????  It's usually on their website anyway. 

You are the one who referred to "Post 3."  That member used The Expat Hotel transfer.  The Paripas Resort wants 500 baht more for the same journey, that's nearly double. 

I said the OP can get from the airport to his hotel for 700 to 800 baht. but should not use the price of that journey as a guide to getting around once here because it will be 400 baht for a 10 min journey in a tuk-tuk, where he paid 700 or 800 baht for a journey that was over an hour, thus, the transport extortion here. 

I don't ride whilst intoxicated. If I'm heading out to Bangla Road I usually have a friend drop me down, and a bar owner friend usually drops me home.  It's my work around, so it's fine for me. 

Tourists do not have this luxury, and it's starting to show in the rapid decline of western tourist coming here.  The lack of freedom of movement for tourists, without being extorted, is costing the tourism industry here.

Phuket is  infamous for it's transport mafia.  Just look how many threads there are about it. 

9 minutes ago, NamKangMan said:

Can you read, and comprehend????  Who said anything about asking a hotel for a quote????  It's usually on their website anyway. 

You are the one who referred to "Post 3."  That member used The Expat Hotel transfer.  The Paripas Resort wants 500 baht more for the same journey, that's nearly double. 

I said the OP can get from the airport to his hotel for 700 to 800 baht. but should not use the price of that journey as a guide to getting around once here because it will be 400 baht for a 10 min journey in a tuk-tuk, where he paid 700 or 800 baht for a journey that was over an hour, thus, the transport extortion here. 

I don't ride whilst intoxicated. If I'm heading out to Bangla Road I usually have a friend drop me down, and a bar owner friend usually drops me home.  It's my work around, so it's fine for me. 

Tourists do not have this luxury, and it's starting to show in the rapid decline of western tourist coming here.  The lack of freedom of movement for tourists, without being extorted, is costing the tourism industry here.

Phuket is  infamous for it's transport mafia.  Just look how many threads there are about it. 

Tourists are not complaining ,you are constantly like a stuck record

Its the exchange rates that is one of the reasons and the amount of reasonably priced holidays world wide at present the other reason, nothing to do with the cost of transport in Patong, thats a minor expense for most tourists 

5 minutes ago, madmax2 said:

Tourists are not complaining ,you are constantly like a stuck record

"Tourists are not complaining" - that's because the majority of tourists to Phuket are now package holiday Chinese, with their coach buses. 

"you are constantly like a stuck record" - that's because people are dying on the roads here at an unacceptable rate. It's a disgrace. 

The transport mafia have played a big part in changing the demographics of the tourism industry here, and the local economy is now contracting due to the rapid decline of the lucrative western tourist market.

"Tourists are not complaining" - that's because the majority of tourists to Phuket are now package holiday Chinese, with their coach buses. 

"you are constantly like a stuck record" - that's because people are dying on the roads here at an unacceptable rate. It's a disgrace. 

The transport mafia have played a big part in changing the demographics of the tourism industry here, and the local economy is now contracting due to the rapid decline of the lucrative western tourist market.

Your opinion stated as a fact.

OP has a few options already, as given here.

sent using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, madmax2 said:

You have to remember he's a little ray of sunshine in a dark and dismal world! 

Baht buses- that's the way ahead. :partytime2:

1 hour ago, stevenl said:

Your opinion stated as a fact.

OP has a few options already, as given here.

sent using Tapatalk

"Your opinion stated as a fact." - really????????

http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-property/Regional-tourism-growth-dominated-Chinese/65657

I draw your attention to paragraph 6.  Article dated 5/10/16.

"In the first half of this year, Chinese arrivals have continued to be Thailand’s largest feeder market, making up 30 per cent of tourist arrivals into the Kingdom, and accounted for 38 per cent of total arrivals to Phuket."

http://www.thephuketnews.com/tourist-numbers-up-but-concerns-rise-58000.php

I draw your attention to paragraph 6 in this article as well.  Dated 26/6/16.

"However, operators’ confidence would not rise accordingly, Mr Ittirith said, adding that, in addition to economic concerns and fierce competition, the increase in visitors is occurring only in some groups of tourists, notably the Chinese."

Also, paragraph 14.

"Thai tourists wanted cleanliness, a good standard of service and convenient transport. For outbound Thai tourists, Korea and Laos were their main destinations." - even the Thai's want "CONVENIENT TRANSPORT."  :biggrin:

A little hard to deny the majority of tourists coming to Phuket are now Chinese.  I'm sure you've seen the many coach buses full of them.

The OP has been given transport options from the airport to his hotel.  It's transport from his hotel to anywhere else that he needs to be informed of. 

1 hour ago, Psimbo said:

You have to remember he's a little ray of sunshine in a dark and dismal world! 

Baht buses- that's the way ahead. :partytime2:

"Baht buses- that's the way ahead." - no.  Better to save the 10 baht and ride / drive home heavily intoxicated at 3am.  :thumbsup:

2 hours ago, robertthebruce said:

Hard to believe it's 2017......

And there is not a decent Bus or Transport system on the Island.....

They are speaking about a Light Rail..... But how many years will that take....

Sad Phuket is in decline....,

"And there is not a decent Bus or Transport system on the Island....." - for a so called "World Class Tourist Destination" where are the metered taxis, similar to Bangkok???? 

"Your opinion stated as a fact." - really????????

http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-property/Regional-tourism-growth-dominated-Chinese/65657

I draw your attention to paragraph 6.  Article dated 5/10/16.

"In the first half of this year, Chinese arrivals have continued to be Thailand’s largest feeder market, making up 30 per cent of tourist arrivals into the Kingdom, and accounted for 38 per cent of total arrivals to Phuket."

http://www.thephuketnews.com/tourist-numbers-up-but-concerns-rise-58000.php

I draw your attention to paragraph 6 in this article as well.  Dated 26/6/16.

"However, operators’ confidence would not rise accordingly, Mr Ittirith said, adding that, in addition to economic concerns and fierce competition, the increase in visitors is occurring only in some groups of tourists, notably the Chinese."

Also, paragraph 14.

"Thai tourists wanted cleanliness, a good standard of service and convenient transport. For outbound Thai tourists, Korea and Laos were their main destinations." - even the Thai's want "CONVENIENT TRANSPORT." [emoji3]  
A little hard to deny the majority of tourists coming to Phuket are now Chinese.  I'm sure you've seen the many coach buses full of them.

The OP has been given transport options from the airport to his hotel.  It's transport from his hotel to anywhere else that he needs to be informed of. 

Yes, your opinion stated as fact, as you always do. Unless you can show me a reliable source that says transport is the reason Chinese have overtaken westerners?

sent using Tapatalk

16 hours ago, madmax2 said:

Tourists are not complaining

Tourists ARE complaining, and have been doing so for a very long time.

I'm not talking about those tourists who spend their entire two weeks in a five-star resort for whom a few hundred baht on a tuktuk is a drop in the ocean. Nor am I talking about the Chinese who are ferried around on their tour buses. But a large proportion of tourists to Phuket are independent travellers who like to get around and see other parts of the island, especially backpackers, many of whom have come to Thailand having been attracted by the prices and have experienced reasonably priced and comprehensive public transport in other parts of the country.

"400 baht from Karon to Patong? Is that a return?" 

"No, one way."

"Isn't there a bus?"

"There are no buses between the beaches, the tuktuk mafia won't allow it."

I've lost count of the number of times I've had that conversation.

Budget travellers hate the transport system in Phuket, often resorting to a bus from Karon to Phuket Town and another out to Patong at a cost of 80 baht (the price has just gone up) even though it can take at least an hour and a half.

700 baht from the airport to Patong is fine, as is 800 to Karon/Kata/Rawai yet still many prefer to save the money and take the minibus at 200-300 baht per person.

Yes, tourists do complain but their voices aren't heard. Many don't return.

I do not have a small hotel/guesthouse but if i did arranging a minibus would be the way to go

They carry up to 14 passengers, just hire one to take your guests from Karon to Patong as a example , wait 90 minutes and then return then to your guest house, probably only cost about 1000 baht or so, if 10 people  100 to 120 baht each for door to door delivery with air conditioning

that should not be to expensive for them 

On 15/02/2017 at 0:36 AM, stevenl said:

Yes, your opinion stated as fact, as you always do. Unless you can show me a reliable source that says transport is the reason Chinese have overtaken westerners?

sent using Tapatalk

Geez, you don't have to be a rocket scientist, or have a Thai official spell it out to you through a media article as a "reliable source."

The Chinese couldn't afford to come to Phuket, unless transport was part of their holiday package. 

The lack of proper public transport here is really effecting the independent western tourist market, which is rapidly in decline. 

Take the coach buses off the Chinese, and they wouldn't come here either. 

Transport is one of the main complaints by tourists here, and one of the main reasons they do not come back. 

So, with the lack of transport here being one of the main reasons the western market is in decline, and the Chinese having cheap coach bus travel, all over the island, for the duration of their holiday, it's not hard to see why the Chinese are now the main demographic of tourists to Phuket. 

On 15/02/2017 at 1:22 PM, madmitch said:

Tourists ARE complaining, and have been doing so for a very long time.

I'm not talking about those tourists who spend their entire two weeks in a five-star resort for whom a few hundred baht on a tuktuk is a drop in the ocean. Nor am I talking about the Chinese who are ferried around on their tour buses. But a large proportion of tourists to Phuket are independent travellers who like to get around and see other parts of the island, especially backpackers, many of whom have come to Thailand having been attracted by the prices and have experienced reasonably priced and comprehensive public transport in other parts of the country.

"400 baht from Karon to Patong? Is that a return?" 

"No, one way."

"Isn't there a bus?"

"There are no buses between the beaches, the tuktuk mafia won't allow it."

I've lost count of the number of times I've had that conversation.

Budget travellers hate the transport system in Phuket, often resorting to a bus from Karon to Phuket Town and another out to Patong at a cost of 80 baht (the price has just gone up) even though it can take at least an hour and a half.

700 baht from the airport to Patong is fine, as is 800 to Karon/Kata/Rawai yet still many prefer to save the money and take the minibus at 200-300 baht per person.

Yes, tourists do complain but their voices aren't heard. Many don't return.

"Many don't return." - in the past, the backpackers would return here, some years later. for their honeymoon, or for a yearly vacation, but not now. 

For many people now, their first visit to Phuket will be their last.

FYI a recent online review:

Karon est un endroit à l écart et tout déplacement revient cher en raison de la main mise sur les transports par les tuktuks.

This translates as: Karon is a secluded place and any trip is expensive due to the stranglehold on transportation by the tuktuks.

The tuk tuks in Patong did charge 100  baht before they changed to the one way traffic system which was years ago, once the one way traffic came in they increased it to 200 baht

Since nearly all the Tuk tuks operate and return to the same base rank the increase charged was reasonable in my opinion, you can always use motorcycle taxis in Patong they are available at all hours at a reasonable rate, probably only a 15 minute walk to most areas of Patong anyway

On 2/18/2017 at 3:40 PM, NamKangMan said:

"Many don't return." - in the past, the backpackers would return here, some years later. for their honeymoon, or for a yearly vacation, but not now. 

For many people now, their first visit to Phuket will be their last.

Back packers have a much bigger choice of reasonably priced holiday destinations  now

My granddaughter came here as a backpacker about 4 years ago since that time she has been to Vietnam, India and Nepal , why would they want to come back to Thailand when they can see the world for around the same price, that's what backpacking is about

I know of one small guesthouse whose farang owner increased his room price from 400 to 600 baht in 2 years, The room we stopped in was expensive at 400 baht in our opinion compared to prices we have paid for accommodation in other guesthouses in Thailand

Two Thai owned and run guest houses opened up right next door to his business with a lot nicer rooms at a slightly higher price  

Now he has very few guests and its his own fault for being greedy not the other businesses as he claims

6 minutes ago, madmax2 said:

The tuk tuks in Patong did charge 100  baht before they changed to the one way traffic system which was years ago, once the one way traffic came in they increased it to 200 baht

Since nearly all the Tuk tuks operate and return to the same base rank the increase charged was reasonable in my opinion, you can always use motorcycle taxis in Patong they are available at all hours at a reasonable rate, probably only a 15 minute walk to most areas of Patong anyway

Karon and Kata don't even have motorcycle taxis, with the exception of one small rank outside the 7-Eleven near Kata market. I don't need to give the reason why!

Archived