Jump to content
BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sweatalot

Airport transfer to Patong Hotel

Recommended Posts

 

 

Hard to believe it's 2017......

 

And there is not a decent Bus or Transport system on the Island.....

 

They are speaking about a Light Rail..... But how many years will that take....

 

Sad Phuket is in decline....,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

"Tourists are not complaining" - that's because the majority of tourists to Phuket are now package holiday Chinese, with their coach buses. 

 

"you are constantly like a stuck record" - that's because people are dying on the roads here at an unacceptable rate. It's a disgrace. 

 

The transport mafia have played a big part in changing the demographics of the tourism industry here, and the local economy is now contracting due to the rapid decline of the lucrative western tourist market.

Your opinion stated as a fact.

OP has a few options already, as given here.

sent using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, madmax2 said:

What are you on about now

Just walk out of the airport terminal and the touts will quote you 1000 baht to just about anywhere in phuket

Start to walk away from them towards the meter taxis and they instantly drop their price

700 baht to Rawai for instance which i consider very reasonable

You don't have to ask any resort or hotel for a quote as you should know since you claim to travel away from phuket so often

You are they only person on this forum constantly complaining about the cost of transport here  like a broken record

Stop sober and ride the motorbike you claim to own when you go out and you wont have a transport problem

 

You have to remember he's a little ray of sunshine in a dark and dismal world! 

 

Baht buses- that's the way ahead. :partytime2:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, stevenl said:

Your opinion stated as a fact.

OP has a few options already, as given here.

sent using Tapatalk

 

 

"Your opinion stated as a fact." - really????????

 

http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-property/Regional-tourism-growth-dominated-Chinese/65657

 

I draw your attention to paragraph 6.  Article dated 5/10/16.

 

"In the first half of this year, Chinese arrivals have continued to be Thailand’s largest feeder market, making up 30 per cent of tourist arrivals into the Kingdom, and accounted for 38 per cent of total arrivals to Phuket."

 

http://www.thephuketnews.com/tourist-numbers-up-but-concerns-rise-58000.php

 

I draw your attention to paragraph 6 in this article as well.  Dated 26/6/16.

 

"However, operators’ confidence would not rise accordingly, Mr Ittirith said, adding that, in addition to economic concerns and fierce competition, the increase in visitors is occurring only in some groups of tourists, notably the Chinese."

 

Also, paragraph 14.

 

"Thai tourists wanted cleanliness, a good standard of service and convenient transport. For outbound Thai tourists, Korea and Laos were their main destinations." - even the Thai's want "CONVENIENT TRANSPORT."  :biggrin:

 

A little hard to deny the majority of tourists coming to Phuket are now Chinese.  I'm sure you've seen the many coach buses full of them.

 

The OP has been given transport options from the airport to his hotel.  It's transport from his hotel to anywhere else that he needs to be informed of. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Psimbo said:

You have to remember he's a little ray of sunshine in a dark and dismal world! 

 

Baht buses- that's the way ahead. :partytime2:

 

 

"Baht buses- that's the way ahead." - no.  Better to save the 10 baht and ride / drive home heavily intoxicated at 3am.  :thumbsup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, robertthebruce said:

 

 

Hard to believe it's 2017......

 

And there is not a decent Bus or Transport system on the Island.....

 

They are speaking about a Light Rail..... But how many years will that take....

 

Sad Phuket is in decline....,

 

 

"And there is not a decent Bus or Transport system on the Island....." - for a so called "World Class Tourist Destination" where are the metered taxis, similar to Bangkok???? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
 
"Your opinion stated as a fact." - really????????
 
http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-property/Regional-tourism-growth-dominated-Chinese/65657
 
I draw your attention to paragraph 6.  Article dated 5/10/16.
 
"In the first half of this year, Chinese arrivals have continued to be Thailand’s largest feeder market, making up 30 per cent of tourist arrivals into the Kingdom, and accounted for 38 per cent of total arrivals to Phuket."
 
http://www.thephuketnews.com/tourist-numbers-up-but-concerns-rise-58000.php
 
I draw your attention to paragraph 6 in this article as well.  Dated 26/6/16.
 
"However, operators’ confidence would not rise accordingly, Mr Ittirith said, adding that, in addition to economic concerns and fierce competition, the increase in visitors is occurring only in some groups of tourists, notably the Chinese."
 
Also, paragraph 14.
 
"Thai tourists wanted cleanliness, a good standard of service and convenient transport. For outbound Thai tourists, Korea and Laos were their main destinations." - even the Thai's want "CONVENIENT TRANSPORT."   
A little hard to deny the majority of tourists coming to Phuket are now Chinese.  I'm sure you've seen the many coach buses full of them.
 
The OP has been given transport options from the airport to his hotel.  It's transport from his hotel to anywhere else that he needs to be informed of. 

Yes, your opinion stated as fact, as you always do. Unless you can show me a reliable source that says transport is the reason Chinese have overtaken westerners?

sent using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, madmax2 said:

Tourists are not complaining

Tourists ARE complaining, and have been doing so for a very long time.

 

I'm not talking about those tourists who spend their entire two weeks in a five-star resort for whom a few hundred baht on a tuktuk is a drop in the ocean. Nor am I talking about the Chinese who are ferried around on their tour buses. But a large proportion of tourists to Phuket are independent travellers who like to get around and see other parts of the island, especially backpackers, many of whom have come to Thailand having been attracted by the prices and have experienced reasonably priced and comprehensive public transport in other parts of the country.

 

"400 baht from Karon to Patong? Is that a return?" 

"No, one way."

"Isn't there a bus?"

"There are no buses between the beaches, the tuktuk mafia won't allow it."

 

I've lost count of the number of times I've had that conversation.

 

Budget travellers hate the transport system in Phuket, often resorting to a bus from Karon to Phuket Town and another out to Patong at a cost of 80 baht (the price has just gone up) even though it can take at least an hour and a half.

 

700 baht from the airport to Patong is fine, as is 800 to Karon/Kata/Rawai yet still many prefer to save the money and take the minibus at 200-300 baht per person.

 

Yes, tourists do complain but their voices aren't heard. Many don't return.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do not have a small hotel/guesthouse but if i did arranging a minibus would be the way to go

They carry up to 14 passengers, just hire one to take your guests from Karon to Patong as a example , wait 90 minutes and then return then to your guest house, probably only cost about 1000 baht or so, if 10 people  100 to 120 baht each for door to door delivery with air conditioning

that should not be to expensive for them 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 15/02/2017 at 0:36 AM, stevenl said:


Yes, your opinion stated as fact, as you always do. Unless you can show me a reliable source that says transport is the reason Chinese have overtaken westerners?

sent using Tapatalk
 

 

 

Geez, you don't have to be a rocket scientist, or have a Thai official spell it out to you through a media article as a "reliable source."

 

The Chinese couldn't afford to come to Phuket, unless transport was part of their holiday package. 

 

The lack of proper public transport here is really effecting the independent western tourist market, which is rapidly in decline. 

 

Take the coach buses off the Chinese, and they wouldn't come here either. 

 

Transport is one of the main complaints by tourists here, and one of the main reasons they do not come back. 

 

So, with the lack of transport here being one of the main reasons the western market is in decline, and the Chinese having cheap coach bus travel, all over the island, for the duration of their holiday, it's not hard to see why the Chinese are now the main demographic of tourists to Phuket. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 15/02/2017 at 1:22 PM, madmitch said:

Tourists ARE complaining, and have been doing so for a very long time.

 

I'm not talking about those tourists who spend their entire two weeks in a five-star resort for whom a few hundred baht on a tuktuk is a drop in the ocean. Nor am I talking about the Chinese who are ferried around on their tour buses. But a large proportion of tourists to Phuket are independent travellers who like to get around and see other parts of the island, especially backpackers, many of whom have come to Thailand having been attracted by the prices and have experienced reasonably priced and comprehensive public transport in other parts of the country.

 

"400 baht from Karon to Patong? Is that a return?" 

"No, one way."

"Isn't there a bus?"

"There are no buses between the beaches, the tuktuk mafia won't allow it."

 

I've lost count of the number of times I've had that conversation.

 

Budget travellers hate the transport system in Phuket, often resorting to a bus from Karon to Phuket Town and another out to Patong at a cost of 80 baht (the price has just gone up) even though it can take at least an hour and a half.

 

700 baht from the airport to Patong is fine, as is 800 to Karon/Kata/Rawai yet still many prefer to save the money and take the minibus at 200-300 baht per person.

 

Yes, tourists do complain but their voices aren't heard. Many don't return.

 

 

"Many don't return." - in the past, the backpackers would return here, some years later. for their honeymoon, or for a yearly vacation, but not now. 

 

For many people now, their first visit to Phuket will be their last.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

FYI a recent online review:

 

Karon est un endroit à l écart et tout déplacement revient cher en raison de la main mise sur les transports par les tuktuks.

 

This translates as: Karon is a secluded place and any trip is expensive due to the stranglehold on transportation by the tuktuks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The tuk tuks in Patong did charge 100  baht before they changed to the one way traffic system which was years ago, once the one way traffic came in they increased it to 200 baht

Since nearly all the Tuk tuks operate and return to the same base rank the increase charged was reasonable in my opinion, you can always use motorcycle taxis in Patong they are available at all hours at a reasonable rate, probably only a 15 minute walk to most areas of Patong anyway

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/18/2017 at 3:40 PM, NamKangMan said:

 

 

"Many don't return." - in the past, the backpackers would return here, some years later. for their honeymoon, or for a yearly vacation, but not now. 

 

For many people now, their first visit to Phuket will be their last.

 

 

Back packers have a much bigger choice of reasonably priced holiday destinations  now

My granddaughter came here as a backpacker about 4 years ago since that time she has been to Vietnam, India and Nepal , why would they want to come back to Thailand when they can see the world for around the same price, that's what backpacking is about

 

I know of one small guesthouse whose farang owner increased his room price from 400 to 600 baht in 2 years, The room we stopped in was expensive at 400 baht in our opinion compared to prices we have paid for accommodation in other guesthouses in Thailand

Two Thai owned and run guest houses opened up right next door to his business with a lot nicer rooms at a slightly higher price  

Now he has very few guests and its his own fault for being greedy not the other businesses as he claims

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, madmax2 said:

The tuk tuks in Patong did charge 100  baht before they changed to the one way traffic system which was years ago, once the one way traffic came in they increased it to 200 baht

Since nearly all the Tuk tuks operate and return to the same base rank the increase charged was reasonable in my opinion, you can always use motorcycle taxis in Patong they are available at all hours at a reasonable rate, probably only a 15 minute walk to most areas of Patong anyway

 

Karon and Kata don't even have motorcycle taxis, with the exception of one small rank outside the 7-Eleven near Kata market. I don't need to give the reason why!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...