BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sweatalot

Airport transfer to Patong Hotel

A lot of small accommodation businesses arrange the hire of Toyota commuter buses for their guests which can carry up to 14 passengers, my son will be driving one in the near future, he has already passed his commercial driving license test and is just waiting for his van to be registered on yellow plates and keeps me up to date on current charges as he travels around in a friends minibus learning the business

The other night they took 11 passengers from a Kata resort to a seafood restaurant in Patong, Waited for them to have their meal about 2.5 hours and returned them to their resort

Traveling in Air conditioned comfort door to door for a fee of 1800 baht or 164 baht per person

Who thinks this expensive and why do you think it is??

And why cannot you supply your guests with the same sort of service if you are involved in the tourist industry??

26 minutes ago, madmax2 said:

A lot of small accommodation businesses arrange the hire of Toyota commuter buses for their guests which can carry up to 14 passengers, my son will be driving one in the near future, he has already passed his commercial driving license test and is just waiting for his van to be registered on yellow plates and keeps me up to date on current charges as he travels around in a friends minibus learning the business

The other night they took 11 passengers from a Kata resort to a seafood restaurant in Patong, Waited for them to have their meal about 2.5 hours and returned them to their resort

Traveling in Air conditioned comfort door to door for a fee of 1800 baht or 164 baht per person

And why cannot you supply your guests with the same sort of service if you are involved in the tourist industry??

By charging 1800 baht for the return trip.  You are no different from the tuk tuk mafia.  11 people can take 2 tuk tuk to Patong for 800 baht and the same for the return trip for a total of 1600 baht.  And you also enjoy the wind in your face along the way.

10 minutes ago, Kopitiam said:

By charging 1800 baht for the return trip.  You are no different from the tuk tuk mafia.  11 people can take 2 tuk tuk to Patong for 800 baht and the same for the return trip for a total of 1600 baht.  And you also enjoy the wind in your face along the way.

If you prefer to ride in the back of the cheapest type of pickup available with no concern for your own or anyone elses safety that is your right, Why not go bungy jumping probably just as safe

I was asking people in business here for their opinion , do you qualify??

6 minutes ago, madmax2 said:

If you prefer to ride in the back of the cheapest type of pickup available with no concern for your own or anyone elses safety that is your right, Why not go bungy jumping probably just as safe

I was asking people in business here for their opinion , do you qualify??

Why are you feeling guilty?  You asked for an opinion and I have given my thoughts.

1 hour ago, madmax2 said:

I don't think 164 baht is expensive for what you describe, BUT, you need another 10 people with you to able to get the price of 164 baht.  

There lays Phuket's BIG problem - no proper public transport for independent travelers and / or couples, hence, the majority of tourists to Phuket now being Chinese package holiday makers, using coach buses.

The same trip, not including the driver waiting around for the return journey, would cost the individual 400 baht to Patong, and 800 baht back to Kata, and 1200 baht for that return journey goes past being expensive or rip off and goes to being straight out extortion.

Without metered taxis, and professional drivers, how can Phuket claim to be "A World Class Tourist Destination" when the essential service of transport is left in the hands of criminals to administer???? 

2 hours ago, madmax2 said:

Back packers have a much bigger choice of reasonably priced holiday destinations  now

My granddaughter came here as a backpacker about 4 years ago since that time she has been to Vietnam, India and Nepal , why would they want to come back to Thailand when they can see the world for around the same price, that's what backpacking is about

I know of one small guesthouse whose farang owner increased his room price from 400 to 600 baht in 2 years, The room we stopped in was expensive at 400 baht in our opinion compared to prices we have paid for accommodation in other guesthouses in Thailand

Two Thai owned and run guest houses opened up right next door to his business with a lot nicer rooms at a slightly higher price  

Now he has very few guests and its his own fault for being greedy not the other businesses as he claims

Ahhhh, I think you missed the part about them returning here for a honeymoon, or a yearly vacation, both of which usually occur AFTER their backpacking days are over.

In the past, backpackers passing through Phuket liked what they saw, and returned here purely for leisure, not travel purposes, and with money to spend. 

These days, the backpackers don't like what they see, and yes, particularly with the transport situation, and when they compare Phuket to other destinations they visited when backpacking, they chose another destination to return to, over Phuket.

Phuket should be advertising itself as a destination for repeat tourists, not turning them off the place. 

5 minutes ago, NamKangMan said:

I don't think 164 baht is expensive for what you describe, BUT, you need another 10 people with you to able to get the price of 164 baht.  

There lays Phuket's BIG problem - no proper public transport for independent travelers and / or couples, hence, the majority of tourists to Phuket now being Chinese package holiday makers, using coach buses.

The same trip, not including the driver waiting around for the return journey, would cost the individual 400 baht to Patong, and 800 baht back to Kata, and 1200 baht for that return journey goes past being expensive or rip off and goes to being straight out extortion.

Without metered taxis, and professional drivers, how can Phuket claim to be "A World Class Tourist Destination" when the essential service of transport is left in the hands of criminals to administer???? 

How did you find the public transport system in Bali and Angkor Wat Cambodia, both asian holiday destinations similar to Phuket with the same type of economy a fair comparison in my opinion 

5 minutes ago, NamKangMan said:

Ahhhh, I think you missed the part about them returning here for a honeymoon, or a yearly vacation, both of which usually occur AFTER their backpacking days are over.

In the past, backpackers passing through Phuket liked what they saw, and returned here purely for leisure, not travel purposes, and with money to spend. 

These days, the backpackers don't like what they see, and yes, particularly with the transport situation, and when they compare Phuket to other destinations they visited when backpacking, they chose another destination to return to, over Phuket.

Phuket should be advertising itself as a destination for repeat tourists, not turning them off the place. 

Never met a ex backpacker who returned to any previous backpackers heaven for a annual vacation or honeymoon the can usually afford much better than backpacker holidays and destinations

Repeat Tourists from Australia as you should know go to Bali for short relaxing breaks (cheaper than doing the same thing in Australia especially from WA)

Otherwise they go to one of the very reasonably priced holiday destination all around the world that are now available at any Australian travel agent i am kept up to date by the Aussie travel agent my family and i use from here and there, very reasonably priced holiday destinations and holiday packages anywhere on the planet

Every country in the world is now actively competing for international tourists to boost their economy, that is what is causing the down turn in tourists from some destinations to Thailand nothing else 

Again the same opinion disguised as fact. Why 'hence', still waiting for your reliable source to inform us of that.

sent using Tapatalk

On 21/02/2017 at 1:01 AM, stevenl said:

Again the same opinion disguised as fact. Why 'hence', still waiting for your reliable source to inform us of that.

sent using Tapatalk

Do you really need a "reliable source" for information for Phuket????  You live here - don't you see it????  Can't you see the change???? 

My "opinion" becomes "fact" from my observations, from speaking to people, from reading forums and websites etc.  Land transport is the single biggest complaint about Phuket.  Stands to reason it would be the single biggest reason for tourists not to return here, or not even come here in the first place.  

You can deny all you like, but the FACT is, the majority of tourists to Phuket now are Chinese, who use coach buses, and the independent traveling western market is in decline here. ( I have already quoted a source for this)

On 20/02/2017 at 9:49 PM, madmax2 said:

Never met a ex backpacker who returned to any previous backpackers heaven for a annual vacation or honeymoon the can usually afford much better than backpacker holidays and destinations

Repeat Tourists from Australia as you should know go to Bali for short relaxing breaks (cheaper than doing the same thing in Australia especially from WA)

Otherwise they go to one of the very reasonably priced holiday destination all around the world that are now available at any Australian travel agent i am kept up to date by the Aussie travel agent my family and i use from here and there, very reasonably priced holiday destinations and holiday packages anywhere on the planet

Every country in the world is now actively competing for international tourists to boost their economy, that is what is causing the down turn in tourists from some destinations to Thailand nothing else 

"the can usually afford much better than backpacker holidays and destinations" - huh????  So, is Phuket a "backpacker destination" or a a place "much better than a backpacker destination?" 

"Every country in the world is now actively competing for international tourists to boost their economy, that is what is causing the down turn in tourists from some destinations to Thailand nothing else" - I agree there is now more competition for the tourist dollar.  You use the example of Australia, but I think that to be a poor example, with only about 23 million population and most of the country warm, all year round. 

I have said it before, in my opinion, Vietnam is now Thailand's biggest competitor.   

You bought up the subject of "competition."  Question:  What is Phuket doing to compete???? 

I'll ask it again, name one thing that has been implemented for the benefit of tourists, locals and expats, in recent time, on Phuket?

Off topic bickering posts and replies have been removed.

Replies to previously removed off topic bickering posts have been removed.  

Never been anywhere except major Capitol cities that have reliable public transport after business hours, Singapore and Hongkong and Bangkok are major capitol cities

Pattaya is a town in Chon Buri which has a much bigger permanent population  than phuket and can support a public transport system

Places like Perth and Adelaide in Australia public transport virtually stops altogether after 8 PM in the evening and if you do not use your own transport the only option is taxis which are much dearer than Phuket

Bali and Angkor Wat in Cambodia which are tourist destinations the same as Phuket there is little or no public transport, unlike Phuket where you can get public transport to anywhere on the island in business hours

In Patong there is plenty of public transport after hours for the cheap charlies, they are called motorcycle taxis, Just because mainly one person continually complains about public transport on this forum means nothing and does not represent the opinion of tourists and expats in general 

51 minutes ago, madmax2 said:

Places like Perth and Adelaide in Australia public transport virtually stops altogether after 8 PM in the evening

Sorry, have to dispute that.

In Perth, unless you meant to say 12pm you are wrong.

A check of timetables on line will show that buses and trains there run every half hour until the last departure about 1130pm or later.

And some routes have late night services.

http://www.transperth.wa.gov.au/Timetables/Late-Night-Services

1 hour ago, madmax2 said:

Just because mainly one person continually complains about public transport on this forum means nothing and does not represent the opinion of tourists and expats in general 

There's one poster who's very outspoken about this but if you polled forum members and tourists I think you would find that very few are happy with the transport system in Phuket.

Perhaps someone more computer-savvy than me could do it.