BANGKOK 26 April 2019 21:05

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sweatalot

Airport transfer to Patong Hotel

1 hour ago, Old Croc said:

Sorry, have to dispute that.

In Perth, unless you meant to say 12pm you are wrong.

A check of timetables on line will show that buses and trains there run every half hour until the last departure about 1130pm or later.

And some routes have late night services.

http://www.transperth.wa.gov.au/Timetables/Late-Night-Services

OK things have changed a lot in the last 10 years

I doubt they have regular services after hours away from the main train and bus routes even now, personally i never relied on public transport in Perth then or even now if visiting, do you??

1 hour ago, madmitch said:

There's one poster who's very outspoken about this but if you polled forum members and tourists I think you would find that very few are happy with the transport system in Phuket.

Perhaps someone more computer-savvy than me could do it.

I know a guest house owner in khao Lak who arranges transport for his guests as part of his guest service, people could do it here as well if they wanted to, how hard is it to put up a sign telling your guests that you can arrange cheap transport for groups of people who want to go somewhere to eat or shop or see the different sights, most guest houses rent out motorbikes to people who want to be independent 

13 minutes ago, madmax2 said:

OK things have changed a lot in the last 10 years

I doubt they have regular services after hours away from the main train and bus routes even now, personally i never relied on public transport in Perth then or even now if visiting, do you??

I've owned cars since I was 17. The last time I used public transport in Perth was probably a tram down St Georges Tce with my grandmother, or maybe the ferry to the Zoo.:tongue:

I wouldn't know how to pay, nor how much it would cost to get on a bus or train in Perth.

I'm more familiar with London or Paris undergrounds than my home town.

However, I did know they don't stop running at 8pm.

36 minutes ago, madmax2 said:

I know a guest house owner in khao Lak who arranges transport for his guests as part of his guest service, people could do it here as well if they wanted to, how hard is it to put up a sign telling your guests that you can arrange cheap transport for groups of people who want to go somewhere to eat or shop or see the different sights, most guest houses rent out motorbikes to people who want to be independent 

You need a licensed taxi to be able to do this, and that takes us back to square one. 

21 minutes ago, madmitch said:

You need a licensed taxi to be able to do this, and that takes us back to square one. 

Plenty of licensed taxi services, just ask around for a phone number, they will quote you a price, thats what other accommodation businesses do

5 hours ago, madmitch said:

There's one poster who's very outspoken about this but if you polled forum members and tourists I think you would find that very few are happy with the transport system in Phuket.

Perhaps someone more computer-savvy than me could do it.

Agree with you that not many people are happy with the transport situation. But that does not mean that transport is causing Phuket's decline, or transport is the cause of foreigners staying away, as is often claimed here. I personally don't believe that. And despite many requests to come with some kind of proof for the belief, I have yet to see it.

56 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Agree with you that not many people are happy with the transport situation. But that does not mean that transport is causing Phuket's decline, or transport is the cause of foreigners staying away, as is often claimed here. I personally don't believe that. And despite many requests to come with some kind of proof for the belief, I have yet to see it.

I mostly agree, though I do know of a few budget travellers that have stated they won't return due to the transport situation and you may have seen the review I posted a few days ago. For many it's a minor inconvenience, for some it's not even a consideration. It's only a major problem for a relatively low number of tourists though it does of course exacerbate the problem of inexperienced tourists riding motorbikes.

23 hours ago, weerap said:

Hello sweatalot, I think family car like toyota fotuner or toyota innova is enough, the price is between 860 - 1000 baht as per negotiation. if you need van i'm recommend make the reservation with taxi service or tour company is cheaper than hotel. try to check price at https://www.taxiphuket.com

thank you weerap, this looks good

and thank you to everybody who took part in this thread. I appreciate your help. 

If somebody knows something even better than weerap's idea - I'm still open and keen on your hints

One week to go now :partytime2:

On 26/02/2017 at 7:57 PM, stevenl said:

If that that was the case, stevenl, why aren't the majority of the tourists coming to Phuket now, the Chinese, independently transporting themselves around Phuket during their holiday????

Ahhhh, that's right, the cost of tuk-tuks would be more than their flights and / or accommodation, so, no transport included, and the Chinese don't come here.

Now, transpose that to the western market independent travelers, and you can see why this market is is rapid decline here.  They got caught once, went home, told all their friends, and now neither they, or they friends come here. 

It's not rocket science. 

It's Phuket biggest tourists complaint, and I believe even your own Honorary Consul a while ago raised it, yet, nothing has changed, except the western tourists, who have had a enough, and don't come here anymore.  

"Agree with you that not many people are happy with the transport situation." - you are in business here.  If "not many people are happy with the transport situation" here, what chances have YOU got of getting them back through YOUR door for a return holiday????????

On 26/02/2017 at 9:02 PM, madmitch said:

I mostly agree, though I do know of a few budget travellers that have stated they won't return due to the transport situation and you may have seen the review I posted a few days ago. For many it's a minor inconvenience, for some it's not even a consideration. It's only a major problem for a relatively low number of tourists though it does of course exacerbate the problem of inexperienced tourists riding motorbikes.

"though it does of course exacerbate the problem of inexperienced tourists riding motorbikes." - call a spade a spade. 

You are talking about the road fatalities and major injury to tourists here, because they chose 200 baht per day motorbike hire,  over 200 baht for a 200 meter tuk-tuk journey, and a lot of these victim are not backpackers or budget travelers, in fact, many expats have died on the roads here. 

On 28/02/2017 at 1:54 AM, sweatalot said:

thank you weerap, this looks good

and thank you to everybody who took part in this thread. I appreciate your help. 

If somebody knows something even better than weerap's idea - I'm still open and keen on your hints

One week to go now :partytime2:

Basically, EVERYONE on Phuket must have access to their own vehicle, or be at the mercy of the transport mafia here, hence, the terrible traffic on the roads here.

4 hours ago, NamKangMan said:

If that that was the case, stevenl, why aren't the majority of the tourists coming to Phuket now, the Chinese, independently transporting themselves around Phuket during their holiday????

Ahhhh, that's right, the cost of tuk-tuks would be more than their flights and / or accommodation, so, no transport included, and the Chinese don't come here.

Now, transpose that to the western market independent travelers, and you can see why this market is is rapid decline here.  They got caught once, went home, told all their friends, and now neither they, or they friends come here. 

It's not rocket science. 

It's Phuket biggest tourists complaint, and I believe even your own Honorary Consul a while ago raised it, yet, nothing has changed, except the western tourists, who have had a enough, and don't come here anymore.  

"Agree with you that not many people are happy with the transport situation." - you are in business here.  If "not many people are happy with the transport situation" here, what chances have YOU got of getting them back through YOUR door for a return holiday????????

Many returning guests, thank you.

You quote my post but refuse to answer the most important point, the point that you continously don't answer:

"Agree with you that not many people are happy with the transport situation. But that does not mean that transport is causing Phuket's decline, or transport is the cause of foreigners staying away, as is often claimed here. I personally don't believe that. And despite many requests to come with some kind of proof for the belief, I have yet to see it. "

11 hours ago, stevenl said:

Many returning guests, thank you.

You quote my post but refuse to answer the most important point, the point that you continously don't answer:

"Agree with you that not many people are happy with the transport situation. But that does not mean that transport is causing Phuket's decline, or transport is the cause of foreigners staying away, as is often claimed here. I personally don't believe that. And despite many requests to come with some kind of proof for the belief, I have yet to see it. "

"Many returning guests, thank you." - but not as many as before.  Right?

There is no doubt that transport is Phuket's biggest tourist complaint.  Surely, YOU can't deny that, and if you do, please post what you think is the biggest complaint from western tourists coming here, or should I say, the ones that don't come here anymore.

If you do not agree that western tourists are "staying away" how can you explain the many closures and for sale signs????

The proof I have is speaking to people, and my observations of businesses catering to westerners that have closed, or are for sale so the owner can get out. 

There's a long thread titled "Patong is Dead" that details this decline, or do you disagree there is any decline at all?

"Many returning guests, thank you." - but not as many as before.  Right?

There is no doubt that transport is Phuket's biggest tourist complaint.  Surely, YOU can't deny that, and if you do, please post what you think is the biggest complaint from western tourists coming here, or should I say, the ones that don't come here anymore.

If you do not agree that western tourists are "staying away" how can you explain the many closures and for sale signs????

The proof I have is speaking to people, and my observations of businesses catering to westerners that have closed, or are for sale so the owner can get out. 

There's a long thread titled "Patong is Dead" that details this decline, or do you disagree there is any decline at all?

So you have nothing to underline your claims.
Thanks for the confirmation, I'm out of here.

sent using Tapatalk

OP, in answer to your original question, I think 1200 baht is about right for a van with air conn, 4 people and luggage will not fit in a single 800 baht car, and 2 cars would cost 1600. 

As for further transport, if you get a car guy thats good get their number. they will give you reasonable fixed prices, wait for you, bring you back etc