I don't want to learn local language

redwinecheese

1 hour ago, redwinecheese said:

Correct me if I am wrong but English is the world communication language not local languages!?

It really doesn't need to be explained, does it?  Being able to speak Thai is only a benefit if you happen to be living in Thailand.  Glad we got that out of the way.  So I assume you're not living in Thailand....

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, anotheruser said:

3. Languages don't come easily to me and I lack the intellect and initiative to learn them. 

Let's face it those that can pick up the language probably already have in the first year of living here. And those that haven't most likely never will. 

That's pretty much it.  Thanks for your honesty.  If these other boneheads would just admit that they don't have the aptitude nor desire to learn the language, that would be the end of that.  But instead, they insists on trying to convince everyone that there's no benefit, or better yet, that it's a disadvantage to actually learn the language.  That's when we get into the realm of unabashed stupidity. 

Just now, Berkshire said:

That's pretty much it.  Thanks for your honesty.  If these other boneheads would just admit that they don't have the aptitude nor desire to learn the language, that would be the end of that.  But instead, they insists on trying to convince everyone that there's no benefit, or better yet, that it's a disadvantage to actually learn the language.  That's when we get into the realm of unabashed stupidity. 

What is even more warped is when they claim it is because they prefer the language barrier in regards to their GF/BF. Like that situation is preferable. This place is packed full of scholars and gentlemen.

2 hours ago, redwinecheese said:

Correct me if I am wrong but English is the world communication language not local languages!?

OK you are corrected. English is the buisness language of the world to a point.local language a place you are living in (maybe your not but I am) English is not the as you say the world communication language on the street.

All this rubbish. Way back when I was at school I had to learn French and German. I presume a lot of you on here did as well. Hated it at the time but glad of it over the years. I lived in Malta for 5 years. Just about everyone spoke English, but I took the time to learn Maltese why beacuse I lived there. I took time to learn Thai it's a really hard language to learn I agree I wouldn't say I'm fluent but can hold my own and it will only get better with practise. Why did I beacuse I live  here simple really. So while people who can't be bothered to learn thai have to rely on gf/bf/husband/wife to translate  everything and live in there own enclosed world. I can do things for myself as I've always done.

Edited by Deepinthailand

7 minutes ago, Deepinthailand said:

All this rubbish. Way back when I was at school I had to learn French and German. I presume a lot of you on here did as well. Hated it at the time but glad of it over the years. I lived in Malta for 5 years. Just about everyone spoke English, but I took the time to learn Maltese why beacuse I lived there. I took time to learn Thai it's a really hard language to learn I agree I would sat I'm fluent but can hold my own and it will only get better with practise. Why did I beacuse I live  here simple really.

I bet you English is not your native language and fyi I live here.

3 minutes ago, redwinecheese said:

I bet you English is not your native language and fyi I live here.

Again you would be wrong. I expect your the grammer police?

If you re read my post you will see I have already corrected my (predictive text) mistakes. But you was just to quick of the mark.

Edited by Deepinthailand

1 minute ago, redwinecheese said:

You guys do not get it, ears do not fall a sleep never.   So, when ever your ear hears something it automatically send signals to the brain etc, I hope I made my case clear. Thanks in advance for those who can understand

Oh yes clear as custard. Some strange world you live in.

10 minutes ago, Ulysses G. said:

I have no idea what this means, but happy to see Bubbles anyway.

Naam and somebody else were talking about a shit storm coming. So that meme came to mind. Thaivisa is on a roll today with the no speak the language thread, the hooker thread and our dearly beloved newlyweds Ron and the gold digger. :) 

All we need is Inspire to sum all of this up and spoon feed us a vapid article to make sense of it all and the day is complete. 

I used to speak quite good Thai, left five years ago so it has gone downhill since then. listening skills are still good though. I have to agree with some of the other posters here. I'm really not interested in what a lot of Thai people talk about. To me, Thais seem to talk about the same things over and over again. It bores me. My wife does this too. She tends to repeat the same thing in conversation. 

Ignorance IS bliss. 

I know it's useful to be able to do whatever I want on my own when I'm in Thailand, but the downside is having to listen to a lot of rubbish.

I still go to Thai events in the country I'm in now. Listening to the conversations puts me off going to Thailand.

Boring people really, for me. 

Each to their own I guess.

12 minutes ago, bermondburi said:

I used to speak quite good Thai, left five years ago so it has gone downhill since then. listening skills are still good though. I have to agree with some of the other posters here. I'm really not interested in what a lot of Thai people talk about. To me, Thais seem to talk about the same things over and over again. It bores me. My wife does this too. She tends to repeat the same thing in conversation. 

Ignorance IS bliss. 

I know it's useful to be able to do whatever I want on my own when I'm in Thailand, but the downside is having to listen to a lot of rubbish.

I still go to Thai events in the country I'm in now. Listening to the conversations puts me off going to Thailand.

Boring people really, for me. 

Each to their own I guess.

Because we don't rehash the same discussion of double pricing, hookers and other inane nonsense over and over?

1 minute ago, anotheruser said:

Because we don't rehash the same discussion of double pricing, hookers and other inane nonsense over and over?

yeah, but it's boring cr@p I want to talk about. My boring cr@p. 

Left five years ago for Sowdy. So the hookers are off-topic these days.

2 minutes ago, Ahab said:

How do you guys feel about immigrants to England, or Germany, or United States that make zero effort to learn your language?

Well in my home country the USA an old man that is 60+ can't find a bar wench willing to translate for him and cut his toe nails. So the problem sorts itself out pretty quickly.

I'm with the OP to some extent even after being here since '99. I think or perhaps just hope that most members would agree that conversations for the most part are asinine. See... some people would say that the Thai people are stupid which is both asinine and untrue but I would say that most people are uneducated (not stupid) and that if they are 'educated' the quality of said education is of a standard that is somewhat of wanting. I know a multitude of people with Degrees from Uni. who cannot do basic math. on paper, never mind in their head. What I see is an almost unequivocal desire of lack of interest or rather uninquisitivness. This is not the people but rather the system they are brought up in. For the most part it is rote learning so they know the result of x+x=y but have no idea why x+x=y.  To get fully back on topic... I have no interest with regard to soaps, games shows or which celebrity is doing this or that but after so many years I have to hear and understand it.

12 hours ago, mlkik said:

The word for animal is sat and is not a classifier. Tua or doua is indeed the classifier used in this instance and can be used for people ,animals ,insects and many other things.

Maa tua nung would more commonly be used as sunak is not colloquial.

hang on...

He was talking about a dog I did not mean to suggest that 'Tua' is the word for dog but it is the classifier for animals and 'Kon' is the classifier for people not 'Tua'.

'Sunak' is the formal word for dog but if you want to use the colloquial  'Maa Nung Tua' is correct I have never heard anyone say 'Maa Tua Nung but maybe this is an alternative BUT I have NEVER hear any person referred to as 'Tua'.

10 hours ago, Deepinthailand said:

Again you would be wrong. I expect your the grammer police?

If you re read my post you will see I have already corrected my (predictive text) mistakes. But you was just to quick of the mark.

'Grammar' not 'Grammer'

'you're' not 'your'

'were' not 'was' 

'too' not 'to' 

"off' not  'of'

5 mistakes in such a short sentence now THAT must be a record! 

I find that its mainly native English speakers who refuse to learn languages, call it a bit of arrogance or maybe they never learned anything about learning languages. 

Now of course this is not 100% true because I do know of a few native English speakers who put my Thai skills to shame. 

As for Thais talking about boring things, its not like people in our home country always have interesting things to say. I feels its quite useful to speak Thai and actually think its stupid not to lean any Thai if you live here. (and I should learn more too)

1 hour ago, LannaGuy said:

'Grammar' not 'Grammer'

'you're' not 'your'

'were' not 'was' 

'too' not 'to' 

"off' not  'of'

5 mistakes in such a short sentence now THAT must be a record! 

Not really... some of my posts will contain a lot of mistakes too. I don't go over my posts all the time nor is this my native language. I post for fun not to display perfect English. It would cost me far to much time and take the fun out of posting. 

Just now, robblok said:

Not really... some of my posts will contain a lot of mistakes too. I don't go over my posts all the time nor is this my native language. I post for fun not to display perfect English. It would cost me far to much time and take the fun out of posting. 

I know I was being mischievous as his post was about 'Grammar' 

Just now, LannaGuy said:

I know I was being mischievous as his post was about 'Grammar' 

I figured as much as your not one of the guys who pick at others posts because of the grammar. Seriously, if i put some more effort in my posts I could do a lot better. If i just re red and re edited stuff before i posted things would look a lot better. But often I just post what I think and do it fast. 

Mea culpa mea culpa. 

This forum is to have some fun and as long as we get what the other guy means it should be enough. I don't take this forum too serious. 

I actually felt quite helpless before i spoke Thai, just imagine having an accident or some other problems and you can't communicate with anyone. Sure your GF can be your translator but its not like she is with you 24/7 (or at least not in my case).

I feel a lot more at ease and a lot happier now that I can make myself understood (most of the time). I can go out and buy a new fence without the help of anyone else, visit shops and ask for things. My Thai is far from perfect and it needs a lot more work but at least I am not totally helpless. A lot of frustration with Thailand is born from not being able to communicate what you want with others. 

It does seem the conversation is going in circles...but people don't need excuses. The Thai government does not provide the schooling of the language to people who move here (like other countries do). So there is no expectation from anyone. So I don't see the need for some Western guy to put an expectation on another Western guy to learn a level of Thai which is insignificant in the schemes of the whole place, just because you think you're some Steven Hawking for learning a level of Thai you could probably teach a parrot. 

Edited by wildewillie89

Out of all the lame excuses ive heard why people

'dont want to'

learn the local language, this has got to be the most feeble.

Maybe more to truth is some lack the talent, patience or motivation to learn.

But i suppose you can just do like the typical expat here when in Thai company-

just nod your head like you know eveything being said, when really you havent got a frkken clue what they are on about!