Prison for protesters opposing coal-fired power plant, warns PM

snoop1130

Prison for protesters opposing coal-fired power plant, warns PM

By Sakda Samoephob

The Nation

The prime minister warned Tuesday that people planning to march to Bangkok on Friday to protest against the Krabi coal-fired power plant would be arrested.

After Tuesday’s Cabinet meeting, Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha said he wanted to warn members of the group opposed to the plant to not stage a protest in the capital because it would be against the law and protesters would be arrested. 

“I ask them not to go to Bangkok [to protest]. Such movements are forbidden and they will be arrested if they go ahead. If there is anything to be concerned about, please discuss it in your area,” he said. 

Full Story: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/breakingnews/30306337

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-2-14

PM warns coal-fired power plant protesters not to protest in Bangkok

G0DL5oPyrtt5HBAi37Tr951PIgghvf5hgzeg1mbO

BANGKOK: -- Opponents of the coal-fired power plant project in Krabi province were told by Prime Minister Prayut Chan-ocha to not come to Bangkok to hold a protest, but to wait for a decision from the Energy Ministry about the project on Friday.

The prime minister, said an informed source, didn’t want the protesters to hold a protest in Bangkok because they would risk defying the law if they do not obtain a permit from authorities concerned in advance.

The source added that the prime minister had stressed the need for electricity in the southern region and the government’s responsibility to meet the need of the people.

Meanwhile, it was reported that the cabinet on Tuesday endorsed the appointment of Bangkok Expressway Metro to install electrical system and to operate the one-kilometre long connection between the Blue Line and Purple Line between Bang Sue underground train terminal and Taopoon terminal of the electric train to Bang Yai.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/pm-warns-coal-fired-power-plant-protesters-not-protest-bangkok/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-02-15

12 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha said he wanted to warn members of the group opposed to the plant to not stage a protest in the capital because it would be against the law and protesters would be arrested. 

He is starting to smell like fish. 

Think he is afraid of bad international press.   A true, elected leader, would just here them out and not threaten them with arrest ALL the time, EVERY time.  Too bad Thailand does not have Saturday Night Live.   

It was extensively discussed, that a gas fired plant is much cleaner, easier to maintain, and to adjust to the power output needed, than a dirty coal fired polluter. The construction would take four years for a gas power plant, six years for a coal fired power plant. Are you sure Mr. President, that you still want to burn coal in six years time, when photo-voltaic and thermo-solar plants are being installed everywhere? Don't you look across the border to China? Do you want to move Thailand into a sustainable future or back into medieval times? Think!

Dear Mr Prayut

I'm not sure what news you are reading but maybe you should consider reading alternative news.  Alternative energy is taking over from fossil fuel around the world despite the oil and coal industry constant attempts to stop it.  China is getting away from coal, so should you!  As for nuclear, it is the most expensive and toxic way to produce electricity.  Just look up Chernobyl and Fukushima if you care about Thai people and your beautiful country Thailand.  I think you need to bring visionary, young, educated people amongst your inner circle.  You have way too many old farts around you who have no understanding of what the future should look like.  Alternative energy is the future!  Do you realize Bangkok is doomed to be under water in the next 50 years, BECAUSE OF FOSSIL FUEL?   I think someone should  hold up a sign in Bangkok that says:  "This location will be under water in less than 50 years; because of coal". 

13 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

it would be against the law

But defies the Constitutions - take your pick as to which edition, they all say the same thing about rights and liberties. 

Prayut's excuse:

"To those who say we lost our democracy, I'd say I am sorry, but we cannot afford to waste the time we have now to change our country," Dec. 23, 2015

http://time.com/4159825/thailand-prime-minister-prayuth-speech-human-rights/

2 hours ago, ThaidaGwaii said:

Dear Mr Prayut

I'm not sure what news you are reading but maybe you should consider reading alternative news.  Alternative energy is taking over from fossil fuel around the world despite the oil and coal industry constant attempts to stop it.  China is getting away from coal, so should you!  As for nuclear, it is the most expensive and toxic way to produce electricity.  Just look up Chernobyl and Fukushima if you care about Thai people and your beautiful country Thailand.  I think you need to bring visionary, young, educated people amongst your inner circle.  You have way too many old farts around you who have no understanding of what the future should look like.  Alternative energy is the future!  Do you realize Bangkok is doomed to be under water in the next 50 years, BECAUSE OF FOSSIL FUEL?   I think someone should  hold up a sign in Bangkok that says:  "This location will be under water in less than 50 years; because of coal". 

i was at the recent protest Monday in Krabi town, and have have attended virtually every protest over the last nearly 3 years against this coal plant that they are attempting to ram down our collective throats; 

the first 2 protests, the corrupt businessmen & officials supporting this travesty had paid thugs and agitators to disrupt the resident's speeches;

the 2nd time, at the Nuea Klong district office, the 10,000+ concerned citizens who showed up were cut off from speaking and the paid agitators hit many of us and started throwing chairs- this made the National news and drew even more awareness for our cause

the gov just presented Prayuth w/petition of 15,000 alleged pro-coal supporters- i can guarantee you there aren't even 1500 here in Krabi who support this- there is NO such thing as clean coal- and to those who have said "nuclear", i have but 2 words: Chernobyl, Fukushima (which is STILL spewing massive amounts of radiation from 2 melted down cores they can't even finsd yet...

WE ARE LITERALLY FIGHTING FOR OUR LIVES HERE IN KRABI

Sounds like it is well past time for an election!

Elections will lead to rioting and the bombing of shopping centers and people shot as is well documented. Why would you want that.. I'm enjoying the peace and quite as it is now

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

32 minutes ago, zorro1 said:

Elections will lead to rioting and the bombing of shopping centers and people shot as is well documented. Why would you want that.. I'm enjoying the peace and quite as it is now

Wrong! The overthrow of the elected govt leads to that sort of thing. Let the elected govts govern and you will have your peace and quiet AND the people will have their democratic rights.

Wrong! The overthrow of the elected govt leads to that sort of thing. Let the elected govts govern and you will have your peace and quiet AND the people will have their democratic rights.

I guess you missed the yellow vs red shirt riots,the brink of civilian war? The shutting down of Suvarnabhumi, the mass exsit of tourists.
Thailand needs a firm hand, they are not ready for democracy just yet.

14 minutes ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

Look at how many coal fired power plants have been built in both India and China and

other countries. One h*ll of a lot more than the one power plant in Krabi.  Go protest in India

or China if you want the world pollution to improve.

Geezer

India & China both have among the most chronically polluted air in the world-

why don't YOU go LIVE in China or India if you're so gung-ho on coal-

or maybe YOU want to reimburse the thousands of fishermen who will lose their livelihoods- or help the 10's of thousands of people who service the 100's of thousands of tourists who visit our province to see ours spectacular natural beauty???

i LIVE in KRABI, and WE ARE MAKING A STAND AGAINST THIS-

how about we locate a coal plant in YOUR backyard?

or, better yet, we could stick it right up your posterior where the sun doesn't shine,

and attach an exhaust hose that leads to your mouth so you don't have to

spew half-formed thoughts and ignorant words about  things you know jacks**t about- THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS CLEAN COAL

:post-4641-1156693976:

6 hours ago, fxe1200 said:

It was extensively discussed, that a gas fired plant is much cleaner, easier to maintain, and to adjust to the power output needed, than a dirty coal fired polluter. The construction would take four years for a gas power plant, six years for a coal fired power plant. Are you sure Mr. President, that you still want to burn coal in six years time, when photo-voltaic and thermo-solar plants are being installed everywhere? Don't you look across the border to China? Do you want to move Thailand into a sustainable future or back into medieval times? Think!

Has Thailand removed itself from the majority of countries which do not want polluting coal?  Climate change is very real, and proceeding with coal is just thoughtless.      Even China agrees with this.  

It's bad enough in the north of the country where masks are necessary if you're going outside, and that's just burning corn waste by the tonne.

22 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

“I ask them not to go to Bangkok [to protest]. Such movements are forbidden and they will be arrested if they go ahead. If there is anything to be concerned about, please discuss it in your area,” he said. 

Perhaps Prayuth could organise a Thaksin-Yingluck-style mobile cabinet meeting (granted, some of the cabinet don't look too mobile). Then he could hear the protesters' very valid concerns first hand, rather than playing the Junta-written law on gatherings in the centre of government.

9 hours ago, fxe1200 said:

Careful. Prayuth might appreciate the misnomer, but an unelected president he is not.

7 hours ago, zorro1 said:

I guess you missed the yellow vs red shirt riots,the brink of civilian war? The shutting down of Suvarnabhumi, the mass exsit of tourists.
Thailand needs a firm hand, they are not ready for democracy just yet.

Thats for the Thai people as a whole to decide , not you nor a non elected elite !

On 15/02/2017 at 3:02 PM, zorro1 said:

Why would I want elections? Really? Your comment speaks volumes!

Please enjoy your quite and your redmi note 3....

On 16/02/2017 at 0:35 AM, zorro1 said:

My Thai GF and her staff and her bosses, all well educated have no issue with the current government

It's mainly farangs who bring with them their high and mighty perception of democracy. Get over it, TIT, it doesn't work here.

How many examples of rioting and failed government do you need? Better still why not use Google if you don't live here.. It's all there

Zorro 1, I find your comments to be rude, arrogant and contrary to the opinions of most of the Thais I speak to daily, from market vendors to colleagues.

You arrogantly dismiss people as not living here yet you talk of your girlfriend not your wife. How long have you lived here? Not married? No family?

Please do tell us so we are aware of your vast experience of Thai politics!

Perhaps if you had a wife or family then you would understand...

Archived