List Of 3000 Most Common Thai Words

Grover

• 2 weeks later...
I ran across a website that I like very much and have been using for a few weeks. You can try 15 or so free lessons and then subscribe to all the courses for $6.99 per month. It is at www.its4thai.com If you know of a better one, I would appreciate knowing about it. I am also looking for a list of the 1000 most frequently used English words with their Thai meanings. Any help there?

Tom

its4thai.com is a decent program as Stuart has put in a lot of time and effort into making it easy to use.

As for knowing a better one... truthfully, it does not matter which method or program you use, only that you do.

http://learn-thai-podcast.com/

http://www.pimsleurapproach.com/learn-thai.asp

http://www.linguaphone.co.uk/language/thai.cfm

http://langhub.com/en-th/

http://www.byki.com/fls/free-thai-software...oad.html?l=thai

http://www.thaiforbeginners.com

And a new one - http://www.thai-flashcards.com/

Also, there are fantastic books out there for learning to read Thai (I have two favs).

And tons more in the free resource url I posted in an earlier comment...

They all work.

For the top 1000... I couldn't stop at just 1000... but there is a course proposing to teach with just a handful of Thai words -->> http://www.letstalkthai.com.au/

Flash Card site is great :)

ขอบคุณที่ช่วยเหลือ

Thank you for your help.

• Like 1

"For the top 1000... I couldn't stop at just 1000... "

It seems to me there must be a cut off somewhere for common words. Theroretically, if you had say 3,000 common words, then you would hear the

other 2,999 common words first, before you hear common word number 3,000. Which wouldn't be so common . JMO

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Brilliant! I got to keep this for my future use.

Thank you for sharing this with us!smile.gif

I just started my Thai lessons and it's really daunting especially in dealing with the different Thai characters.

I have to gather all the helpful resources I need.

Grover, the best I can do is I have a list of the 1000 most common words according to four sources of language corpora. I've attached a spreadsheet that I converted to HTML.

The best one is the Mary Haas list. Not sure about Haas, but the other three I know are all computed automatically, so the digits 0 to 9, among other things, count as "words" in their list, as well as some other things that aren't common Thai at all, but appear frequently in their corpora because of a large number of technical texts.

Hope this is helpful.

Here are those top 3000 words with audio clips for 2500 of them.

I took the SEA vocab.xls previously posted and from the 3000 main words, I was able to download 2500 audio clips from ClickThai Language Center which at least for these words seems to have better coverage than other dictionaries I found online.

I've uploaded it in Anki format, but it should be easy to load into excel or something and then change it to a format of your choice (or just use the above SEA Vocab.xls file). The txt file has all the words in it although for my own use, I only used the words in Anki that have an audio clip. Maybe I can find more clips with time or someone else will for some of the others.

ps I didn't see anything on clickthai forbidding me from uploading their audio clips here but if I'm wrong I'm happy to have this post deleted or delete it myself, although I think they should welcome the fact that people are using their dictionary - which does have much better coverage than others I've tried! so i definitely will use this dictionary in the future.

top30001.zip

top30002.zip

top30003.zip

top30004.zip

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

one thing about this SEA compilation is it seems very written language and presumably newspaper oriented.

has anyone taken 100 movie subtitle files and broken the subtitles into words and then ranked the top 1000, 3000, 5000? Would this not give one a better preparation for watching movies and more importantly, speaking to people as it would be more likely to have more of the spoken language/words?

• 2 months later...

I took the SEA vocab.xls previously posted and from the 3000 main words, I was able to download 2500 audio clips from ClickThai Language Center which at least for these words seems to have better coverage than other dictionaries I found online.

I've uploaded it in Anki format, but it should be easy to load into excel or something and then change it to a format of your choice (or just use the above SEA Vocab.xls file). The txt file has all the words in it although for my own use, I only used the words in Anki that have an audio clip. Maybe I can find more clips with time or someone else will for some of the others.

ps I didn't see anything on clickthai forbidding me from uploading their audio clips here but if I'm wrong I'm happy to have this post deleted or delete it myself, although I think they should welcome the fact that people are using their dictionary - which does have much better coverage than others I've tried! so i definitely will use this dictionary in the future.

top30001.zip

top30002.zip

top30003.zip

top30004.zip

wowow!!! thank you so much!

I currently started using Anki and I got like... 300-400 words and maybe 50 audio files. Your list will save me a huge lot of time :D

Thanks again! Awesome!!!

(btw for those who don't know Anki: it's a longterm study program which got a free desktop version and several applications for several devices (even Nintendo DS, iPhone got 2: AnkiMini for free for jailbroken iPhones (uploaded by the Author) and AnkiMobile in the AppStore (not free))

Hi, these are great resources, thanks everyone.

I did not see a consolidated list so I put one together, copying and pasting all the SEA vocab into a spreadsheet. I find it more useful that way as I am more interested in learning vocab by its relevance (ie how commonly it is used) than its genre.

There's also all sorts of interesting ways you can analyse the data once its in a spreadsheet...

I separated out some of the more useful categories such as months, household vocab, measurement vocab, etc into separate tabs although they all also appear in the main list in the tab named "SEA Vocab".

I removed any duplicates (there were 122 words which were repeated across different categories) leaving a vocab list of 3,123 words.

I would have liked to include the category of each word but when I realised I would have to add it in manually, I quickly dropped that idea :)

Enjoy!

Thank you so much for this, much appreciated :)

• 2 months later...

top30001.zip

top30002.zip

top30003.zip

top30004.zip

Thanks heaps for that. Excellent for those who know how to use ANKI. In fact, I registered just so I could download those files and write this post.

ANKI is indeed an awesome free flashcard program and I recommend it to everyone:

ANKI homepage

Cheers

top30001.zip

top30002.zip

top30003.zip

top30004.zip

Thanks heaps for that. Excellent for those who know how to use ANKI. In fact, I registered just so I could download those files and write this post.

ANKI is indeed an awesome free flashcard program and I recommend it to everyone:

ANKI homepage

Cheers

When I unzip the audio files, I am getting strange Romanizedfiles names like a+üa+úa+¦a+êa+üa¦Ça+ça+¦.mp3 instead of Thai character names asspecified in the text file. ConsequentlyI can't get the audio in Anki. Anyonehave an idea of what I'm doing wrong?

I've uploaded it in Anki format

It's not working for me...

anyone else?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The SEA file is awesome. Only problem is that there are no transcripts for those of us who are pretty bad at reading Thai.

So those anyone know of a website/program that can write transcripts from thai text?

Thanks.

Hi, these are great resources, thanks everyone.

I did not see a consolidated list so I put one together, copying and pasting all the SEA vocab into a spreadsheet. I find it more useful that way as I am more interested in learning vocab by its relevance (ie how commonly it is used) than its genre.

There's also all sorts of interesting ways you can analyse the data once its in a spreadsheet...

I separated out some of the more useful categories such as months, household vocab, measurement vocab, etc into separate tabs although they all also appear in the main list in the tab named "SEA Vocab".

I removed any duplicates (there were 122 words which were repeated across different categories) leaving a vocab list of 3,123 words.

I would have liked to include the category of each word but when I realised I would have to add it in manually, I quickly dropped that idea :)

Enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

This forum thread is gold. Exactly what I was looking for. I started learning thai last year and have been a bit slack with practicing but then I was learning about goal setting today and how you only have to learn 3-5 words everyday of a foreign language and then you'll be able to have a vocabulary of about 1500 words after 12months, which is what most languages require to be conversationally fluent. This is great, thanks! :)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...