List Of 3000 Most Common Thai Words

Grover

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Grover, the best I can do is I have a list of the 1000 most common words according to four sources of language corpora. I've attached a spreadsheet that I converted to HTML.

The best one is the Mary Haas list. Not sure about Haas, but the other three I know are all computed automatically, so the digits 0 to 9, among other things, count as "words" in their list, as well as some other things that aren't common Thai at all, but appear frequently in their corpora because of a large number of technical texts.

Hope this is helpful.

ขอบคุณมากๆๆครับ?

• 4 months later...

does anyone have the 3000 word list with 2500 of them with audio?

If you're seeking to learn those words and to hear them pronounced, then have a look at the following topic:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/921270-new-game-to-help-learn-the-3000-commonest-words/

If you want the raw data, check out previous postings here on the subject for the word list and the NECTEC/LEXiTRON website which has a download of word pronunciations. (You'll need to register first - good luck with that!)

• 5 months later...

As a side effect of a project I was working on, I've generated lists of word frequencies for 5 corpora, as well as a list combining the frequencies from all the corpora.  The analysis included 59,850,427 entries, and there were 144,290 different words.  The attached document WordCount.zip is the combined frequencies, whilst CorporaWordCounts.zip shows the frequencies for the five individual corpora.

The corpora were from HSE Thai Corpus.

WordCount.zip

CorporaWordCounts.zip

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

List of 1176 common Thai words:  http://thai-language.com/ref/starred

No audio, but you can make your own mp3 sound files.  Copy the word spelled in Thai and paste into Sound of Text. http://soundoftext.com/  You can toss the files into a folder on your desktop or make Anki cards.   I would make Anki cards without English/native language.   I would show a picture on one side and put the mp3 and Thai spelling on the other or perhaps the Thai spelling on one side and the picture and mp3 file on the other.

Gabriel Wyner of Fluent Forever shows how to make Anki cards.   (Skip to the 5:37 mark of Anki Tutorial 1 for a quick example of how to make a card.) https://fluent-forever.com/chapter2/

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Maybe this is in the wrong thread but it's hardly worth starting a new one over. Fellow motorists may have noticed this sign stuck up alongside busy streets or roads. it means no parking on this road at any point  but for the life of me I can't think of anything in English that captures that meaning in just 3 words. We have signs saying no parking at any time but that isn't referring to the whole road.

Can anyone think of a concise translation?

ตลอดแนว road sign.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 12/4/2018 at 9:23 AM, bannork said:

Maybe this is in the wrong thread but it's hardly worth starting a new one over. Fellow motorists may have noticed this sign stuck up alongside busy streets or roads. it means no parking on this road at any point  but for the life of me I can't think of anything in English that captures that meaning in just 3 words. We have signs saying no parking at any time but that isn't referring to the whole road.

Can anyone think of a concise translation?

ตลอดแนว road sign.jpg

No Parking On Both Sides or No parking On Sides. Pointing the whole road is pointless because even Thais are not that retarded to block a road by parking in the middle of it.

Edited by anon7854

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I was looking for something like this too. THe problem is, it is not very useful. 

What I started doing was writing down the words I needed by carrying a pen with me: I need to say X and can't. Write it down. 

After a few days you have a list you wont be wasting your time by studying. 

I found a list on thaipod101 though. 2000 words and you can export it as a pdf. You need a pay account to keep access to the priveledge. They sent me a 65% off deal yesterday. I still did not take them up on it. I was digging thaipod101 for a while and got to a point where I was seriously considering purchasing it but then I started their second section and a white guy was speaking some white Thai. I am sure it is ok for beginner instructional material but if you are going to make a horrible choice like that I have a hard time supporting it. One white guy ruined the entire website for me, everything was good I thought. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• 5 months later...
On 12/23/2006 at 10:22 PM, No beleeeeve! said:

Not sure if this would help, but there's a great vocabulary builder from a company called Unforgettable Languages that uses easy memory aids for commonly used words. This is a great addition to your language learning IMHO. It is an easy way to pick up, in this case, about 230 commonly used words. I used it for Thai and Mandarin.

It can be found at: www.unforgettablelanguages.com

I didn't see any Thai lessons being offered.

On 12/14/2006 at 2:49 PM, Rikker said:

Grover, the best I can do is I have a list of the 1000 most common words according to four sources of language corpora. I've attached a spreadsheet that I converted to HTML.

The best one is the Mary Haas list. Not sure about Haas, but the other three I know are all computed automatically, so the digits 0 to 9, among other things, count as "words" in their list, as well as some other things that aren't common Thai at all, but appear frequently in their corpora because of a large number of technical texts.

Hope this is helpful.

thai_word_frequencies.htm 745.68 kB · 95,892 downloads

Link doesn't work.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 4 months later...