Earliest date to apply for a new Non O Multiple Entry and other questions

My current Non Immigrant O Multiple Entry Visa based on marriage issued in Savannakhet has an "Enter Before" date in May 2017.

- What is the earliest date that I can go to Savannakhet again and apply for another / a new Non O Multiple Entry?

- Before the current visa I had another Non O Multiple Entry issued in Europe. Same passport. Have there ever been reports of people getting problems on "back to back" Non O in Savannakhet and/or even with another Non O from Europe before?

- If going to Savannakhet do we have to fly now? I am asking since there have been reports from land borders (namely Aranyaprathet) where immigration gave a hard time because of "hopping" over the border and coming back on land border

You really don't need to apply for a new visa until about 150 days after your visa expires. You can do a entry on the enter before date and get a new 90 day entry and the then a 60 day extension at immigration to visit your wife.

If you want to renew your visa before it expires you could do it as early as a couple weeks up to the last day.

No problem to get back to back visas at Savannakhet.

Only Poi Pet is a problem for doing a border hop for a new 90 day entry.

• There is little point in applying for a new visa when the existing one is still valid, but if you do the existing visa will be cancelled when they issue the new one.
  • If you make a final entry using the current visa in May, just before the visa expires, you'll get permission to stay for 90 days. In August you can extend your stay by 60 days or go to Savannakhet for a new visa.
  • You can travel to Savannakhet by land , and you should have no problem getting another non 'O'.

Thank you for your replies.
Yes I know I could use my current Non O until August or even 2 months longer.

But if I wanted to go to Savannakhet early are there specific laws / rules about how early I can go to get a new visa?

20 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

If you want to renew your visa before it expires you could do it as early as a couple weeks up to the last day.

"Up to the last day" means "up to the enter before date"? And how many weeks are a couple of weeks? Please don't get me wrong ... I am just trying to find out if there are specific laws about this since I don't want to travel to Savannakhet and being turned away over there for coming "too early" ;-)

19 hours ago, elviajero said:
  • There is little point in applying for a new visa when the existing one is still valid, but if you do the existing visa will be cancelled when they issue the new one.

That would mean that I could go to Savannakhet any day (even tomorrow) and get a new visa and at the same time the current still valid one is being made void?

Thanks again and sorry for being a little bit "pedantic" on this issue. Just don't want to travel there for "nothing" ;-)

• 1 month later...

Sorry to revive this topic but my last question got no answers and i am about to fix my plans.

I have family 100km near Mukdahan and I will be in that area either around April 24 or May 2.

My current stamp is valid until May 11 and the Enter Before date in my Non Immigrant O multiple entry is May 25.

So I know I could extend my stay in Thailand with my current visa until August but I will be in Isaan anyway around the dates stated above.

And since I will likely switch to a 1-year extension at the end of the year or beginning of  next year I don't mind getting a new Non O multiple entry in Savannakhet "early".

Could I go to Savannakhet and get an new visa on the dates stated above? Ubonjoe said something about as early as a couple of weeks before. Is there any rule to that? How many weeks are that? Should I contact Savannakhet by phone? I just don't want to drive the 100km to Mukdahan, buy a Lao visa and then get denied for being too early ;-)

Edited by vi2004

6 minutes ago, vi2004 said:

I have family 100km near Mukdahan and I will be in that area either around April 24 or May 2.

My current stamp is valid until May 11 and the Enter Before date in my Non Immigrant O multiple entry is May 25.

You should not have a problem getting a new visa on the dates you mentioned.

The consulate will be closed on May 1st for Labor day.

Thank you ubonjoe and elviajero.

And sorry for bringing up a new date just now.

Wife is giving me a hard time and asked me 10 minutes ago "why don't we change plans and go before Songkran". ;-)

But that would mean that I would go to the Thai Consulate in Savannakhet on April 10 already (pickup visa on April 11).

So ... current stamp valid until May 11, Enter Before May 25 and application for new visa on April 10 ?!?!

What do you think?

I really don't want to make the trip into Laos for "nothing" ;-)

Edited by vi2004

16 minutes ago, vi2004 said:

What do you think?

I really don't want to make the trip into Laos for "nothing" ;-)

Unfortunately no one can give you a difintive answer here. 

They can cancel your current visa and issue a new one. Whether they will or not, that early, is uncertain. I suggest you call the consulate before making the trip.