Driver dead, French tourists ‘critical’ after 10-wheeler slams SUV in Krabi

snoop1130

Driver dead, French tourists ‘critical’ after 10-wheeler slams SUV in Krabi

The Phuket News

1487154963_1-org.jpg

PHUKET:-- At least one French tourist has died and two other French nationals are critical condition in hospital after the SUV they were travelling in was slammed head-on by an out-of-control 10-wheeled truck south of Krabi Town today (Feb 15).

Lt Col Piroat Chanachai of the Nuea Khlong Police confirmed to The Phuket News that the accident happened at about 12:45pm.

“There were four passengers inside the car. The passengers, all French tourists, were travelling from Koh Lanta island to Krabi International Airport,” he explained.

The 10-wheeled truck slammed into the Fortuner, registered as a “green plate” commercial passenger vehicle, on Phetkasem Rd in Nuea Khlong District, south of Krabi Town.

“The driver, a Thai man, died at the scene. Three foreigners, all French, have been rushed to Krabi Hospital,” Col Piroat said.

“I can’t give any other details about them for now,” he added.

The accident left two of the French tourists, a man and a woman, in the middle of the road, knocked clear out of the SUV by the force of the impact.

Full Story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/driver-dead-french-tourists-critical-after-10-wheeler-slams-suv-in-krabi-61033.php#9pDcL2sZzVQuYspM.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2017-2-15

UPDATE: The Phuket News has been informed that the four French nationals were a family on holiday. Two of them, an 18-year-old woman and a 55-year-old woman, have both died from their injuries. An 18-year-old man with the same family name has sustained critical injuries.

If the police did their job properly this would happen far less frequently.  There needs to be a zero tolerance policy to ban drivers from driving for minor offences and fine them heavily.  Can help alleviate the traffic problem as an added bonus and put more people (albeit the idiots) on public transport.

35 minutes ago, Jimbo2014 said:

If the police did their job properly this would happen far less frequently.  There needs to be a zero tolerance policy to ban drivers from driving for minor offences and fine them heavily.  Can help alleviate the traffic problem as an added bonus and put more people (albeit the idiots) on public transport.

I would think about what you just said, I doubt whether there's a driver on the planet that's never committed a minor offence! Tachometers controlling driver speed and length of time spent at the wheel is the obvious answer. Speed cameras wouldn't go amiss either. The police in Thailand will never do their job properly btw.

42 minutes ago, evadgib said:

In UK recently the owner of a truck and his maintenance manager were jailed after a fatal accident involving an unroadworthy lorry. Unless or until this lot do same the carnage here will continue.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/jan/27/bath-tipper-truck-crash-haulage-boss-and-mechanic-jailed

Sirens heard as I type...

What a tragic story in the Guardian. At least the judiciary in the UK works as it should and the real criminals are jailed... unlike here.

2 hours ago, Srikcir said:

Not using seat belts?

Safety belts are not mandatory for the back seats. If the SUV had any they were probably unusable, like at the back of most taxis even the new ones. I guess Thais feel ashamed to buckle up when sitting at the back, so taxi drivers bury the safety belts below the bench seat.

This and the Chang Rai article show up the lottery that are Thai roads, you can be the safest driver in the world but that will never protect you from stupidity and ignorance. It's why I stopped cycling and I'm as careful as possible when walking along the beach road as people don't pay attention.

It will take generations to change the way Thais drive but they need to start somewhere. There needs to be a road traffic public relations campaign  on the television; radio and internet explaining the correct procedures and manners when driving. The number 1 cause of death is speed. As we all know who have driven here- Thais drive way too fast for all conditions and they hardly ever get caught. The police need to slow people down and ticket them .They also might try  some videos to be shown at licensure  time showing horrific road accidents and what happens. I remember as a teenager growing up in America and the schools showed these movies and they made an impression on everyone. The safe driving campaigns have to be constant so they are on everyone's mind all the time.

RIP to all who perished.

It was a 10 month old Fortuner. The impact ripped the entire side of the vehicle and roof off. I took some pictures of the truck's tyres. Its clear that the owner didnt give a c**p. She didn't even offer any apology. The truck was belting it and he lost control and came over the median straight into the Fortuner and because of this d**khead I have 1 dead driver and a father has lost his daughter and wife. I really hope justice will be served...but we all know how things go here.

20170215_142411.jpg

20170215_142407.jpg

5 hours ago, delgarcon said:

I would think about what you just said, I doubt whether there's a driver on the planet that's never committed a minor offence! Tachometers controlling driver speed and length of time spent at the wheel is the obvious answer. Speed cameras wouldn't go amiss either. The police in Thailand will never do their job properly btw.

Computerized vehicles are on their way.  Only a matter of time before we decide human drivers are not worth the risk any more.  

23 minutes ago, mr_lob said:

It was a 10 month old Fortuner. The impact ripped the entire side of the vehicle and roof off. I took some pictures of the truck's tyres. Its clear that the owner didnt give a c**p. She didn't even offer any apology. The truck was belting it and he lost control and came over the median straight into the Fortuner and because of this d**khead I have 1 dead driver and a father has lost his daughter and wife. I really hope justice will be served...but we all know how things go here.

20170215_142411.jpg

20170215_142407.jpg

The owner & driver should be jailed. I feel for you, how can you run a reliable safe business for tourists when things like this happen?. I personally use the same taxi driver I have been using for years to take me back & fore Bangkok Airport from Rayong, we use the same guy for our customers but as you have found it means nothing when you have morons driving and running businesses. I hate driving here and stay in our locality, which can be dangerous enough, as much as possible.

5 hours ago, delgarcon said:

Right and in normal circumstances I would agree with you. However Thailand has the second highest per capita road toll in countries for which this data is available.  Desperate times require desperate measures.  No doubt you have spent time on the roads here.  Only in Nigeria have I seen driving as idiotic and aggressive as in Thailand.

Driver, 26, faces charges for French family horror holiday crash

The Phuket News

1487237974_1-org.jpg

PHUKET:-- The 26-year-old driver of the truck that wiped out a Toyota Fortuner south of Krabi International Airport yesterday (Feb 15), killing mother and daughter French tourists, will face charges of reckless driving causing death, police confirmed to The Phuket News today.

The accident, on Phetkasem Rd in Nuea Khlong District, south of Krabi Town, happened at about 12:45pm, when the 10-wheeled truck tipped onto its side while rounding a bend.

The truck slid across the central reservation and slammed into the SUV, which was carrying the French tourists from Koh Lanta to Krabi Airport.

The force of the impact threw two of the French tourists onto the road. The driver of the truck, Boonlit Sangsaen, was also thrown clear of the cab of the truck.

“Right now, Mr Boonlit is in Krabi Hospital,” Lt Col Piroat Chanachai of the Nuea Khlong Police told The Phuket News.

“I don’t know details of his condition, we have to wait for the hospital for that – but he will be charged with reckless driving causing death and injury, and damage to other people’s property,” he said.

Full Story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/driver-26-faces-charges-for-french-family-horror-holiday-crash-61046.php#s32oceHOeHe4cRJu.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2017-2-16

Archived