Baht bus routes sets, Soi Buakhao service banned

Rimmer

Baht bus routes sets, Soi Buakhao service banned

PATTAYA:--The military again has declared that Pattaya baht buses will run only on designated routes, but this time is backing up its order with the threat of heavier fines and vehicle seizures.

The National Council for Peace and Order’s Banglamung District office announced on Feb. 7 four more routes to bring the area’s count of “official” service lines to seven.

The official routes are now Bali Hai Pier to the Banglamung District office, a wide circle route around Pattaya, North Road to Jomtien Beach and the Baan Charoen Community to Rathpattana and Najomtien. The routes complement existing lines, including the well known Beach Road-Second Road “loop”.

However, while announcing the new service routes, the military at the same time banned baht buses from serving Soi Buakhao, which infuriated locals, both Thai and expat.

The order for the blue pickup truck taxis to run only on designated routes came after a “D-Day” operation Feb. 1 that saw more than 30 vehicles impounded for illegal parking and running off-route. While the National Council for Peace and Order laid out the routes in December, drivers largely ignored the order.

Read more: http://www.pattayamail.com/news/baht-bus-routes-sets-soi-buakhao-service-banned-164790

pattaya_mail_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Pattaya Mail 2017-02-17

Presumably they wish to increase the number of pedestrians in SB, without decreasing the number of vehicles (cars and MCs will ultimately fill the void left by BBs), thus increasing the number of injuries and deaths to pedestrians.

1 BB = 3 cars/6 MCs/12MC taxis @12 Persons to be transported

Many will choose not to pay min. MC taxi fare to their "local".

4 hours ago, Chip Allen said:

What possible good can it do to ban service to Soi Buakhao??  The overreach is uncanny.

Well the road is narrow and with nowhere to pull over to pick up and drop off passengers

traffic gets snarled. Not saying they should ban baht busses on Buakhao, just saying

I understand what might be there reasoning.

Soi Buakhao is a mess, in part due to the illegally, double parked car/trucks; mobile food carts parked willy-nilly; business encroachment on the public roadway and the myriad of baht buses and delivery trucks that are stopped without any regard for traffic flow or pedestrian foot traffic. I live here and don't see banning the baht buses as a solution to the mayhem.

5 hours ago, Chip Allen said:

What possible good can it do to ban service to Soi Buakhao??  The overreach is uncanny.

Beats me. Obviously done by someone with enough wealth not to need the service. When's the junta going to do something that actually BENEFITS the people?

Soi Bukhao is like a race track now, yes there probably was too many Baht Buses but it slowed the traffic down,

For me do the opposite make Soi Bukhao Baht Buses, Scooter Taxis and delivery vehicles only. 

The other one would be a pedestrian area between Soi Diane and Pattaya Klang between 6pm and 3am.

A road they should be closing on an evening is New Plaza between Soi Bukhao and Second Road, it wasn't built for vehicles, too narrow, accident waiting too happen.

Some of the B/buses re to blame .On market days they park up at the soi entrance from Pattaya Klang waiting for custom and cause

back up problems .Perhaps more control of illegal waiting and parking along the soi but still allow some buses might work .

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

Maybe wait until you see how this shakes out. Not convinced it's real yet. 

Just left Soi Buakhao after spending 3 hours in a street facing bar. I saw at least 100 baht buses in both directions - maybe the Army only does half day on Fridays?

Just heard they are all up and down Buakhao.  LOL

I just caught several today however to be fair they do cause traffic chaos, why? Because tourists and hookers flag them down every 20 meters. On.. Off.. On.. Off.. Some designated stops would fix that problem, perhaps every 500 meters or so.

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

15 minutes ago, Khon Kaen Dave said:

Just returned from Patts.Stayed in soi lenkee. baht buses on SB,but not so many.Guy who owns the hotel,told me that 14 buses had been pulled. We got baht buses all day long,up and down SB.And fair still 10 baht,so the double up on fares,obviously hasn't hit SB yet.

What double up in fares? I thought that had been proved to be another "urban myth?"

Certainly I have never paid more than 10baht recently.

Archived