what happened to vientiane

I just called 5 Star Visa Run in Pattaya. I got told, no problem to get another SETV as long there is no remark / warning the passport. In my case, 1 METV from Europe, 1 SETV from Vientiane and 1 SETV from Savannakhet.

However, it couldn't hurt to add a bank statement, even it's not required.

1 hour ago, alocacoc said:

I just called 5 Star Visa Run in Pattaya. I got told, no problem to get another SETV as long there is no remark / warning the passport. In my case, 1 METV from Europe, 1 SETV from Vientiane and 1 SETV from Savannakhet.

However, it couldn't hurt to add a bank statement, even it's not required.

These other ppl that wrote info above never mentioned warning stamps being in the passports that were rejected. So unless info is missing, seems a little bit eyebrow raising to me.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Essecola said:

These other ppl that wrote info above never mentioned warning stamps being in the passports that were rejected. So unless info is missing, seems a little bit eyebrow raising to me.

I believe, it's safer to use a Visa company instead to go alone. Last time we hadn't wait in the queue. I spent only 30 seconds on the embassy. Apart from that, I think the companies have some other privileges.

7 hours ago, 3stan said:

i wonder why 'thaivisaservice' is mentioned so many times here..ive never heard of anyone needing an agent to obtain a setv in vientianne....

If you take the time to visit their site you may be able to understand why they are mentioned so many times

They are not agents by the way, applicants must still apply in person and if there is a chance you will be rejeacted they will not take you

• Like 1

20 hours ago, alocacoc said:

Looking forward to other reports since I plan to go in less than 30 Days to Vientiane. This time with a Visa tour company.

On 2/17/2017 at 0:58 PM, darrendsd said:

ThaiVisaService are not reporting any change there and they are good at this, they won't take people who are going to be denied a TV

You must just be unlucky or they are getting stricter with people who are not there as part of a visa run group

You could wait until TVS are there again on Monday and see if there staff can get you one? There number is on their website if you want to call them

Is this the address: http://www.thaivisaservice.com/ ?

Yes that is the address.

I've used them for all my Laos trips (5 in 8 years).   

• Like 1

19 hours ago, hohososo said:

ThaiVisaService shills out en force tonight it seems.

Not a shill.  Just telling exactly how I got my visa last week.

The point of the forum, you might be surprised to learn, is to help each other.   

10 hours ago, 3stan said:

i wonder why 'thaivisaservice' is mentioned so many times here..ive never heard of anyone needing an agent to obtain a setv in vientianne....

I wonder why anyone would go to the hassle of arranging all their own transport and figuring out where to go and what to do themselves, when for a modest fee you can get someone else to do everything for you.

One common theme in these forums is that the limit on visas from one consulate can be reset by getting a new passport. While I think this is (currently) usually true, if the consulate staff recognize you as someone they rejected in the past, the new passport will not help.

I would also be very interested to know the specifics around those rejected in Vientiane. Key pieces of information are their nationality, and how many previous tourist (and other) visas they have from Vientiane both in their current and previous passports.

30 minutes ago, thai006 said:
got 1 setv from europe and got rejected 

Without any reason?

Edit: Just saw you mentioned it earlier. It was in Savannakhet and they asked for proof of funds. Did you get a visa in the meanwhile?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Edited by alocacoc

6 minutes ago, procycle53 said:

I'm in vientiane right now, I've leave my passport in embassy, processing for the setv, let's see tomorrow how it will be. I have 4 previous back to back setv, two of them issued by vientiane consulate.

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

There is a high chance you will get your visa. Otherwise you would get rejected already when you submit your application.

Would be nice when you update tomorrow. Wish you the best.

• Like 1

On 2/18/2017 at 4:38 PM, seancbk said:

I wonder why anyone would go to the hassle of arranging all their own transport and figuring out where to go and what to do themselves, when for a modest fee you can get someone else to do everything for you.

Because it's really easy to do with just a bit of research - on this site, for example.  But if someone has never made a trip for a Thai Visa in a neighboring country before, perhaps using a service would be a good run to see how it works first-hand.  OTOH, you could plan for making mistakes, getting lost, etc - and stay an extra night for close to the same additional cost.

This should not be confused with the use of agents in Phnom Penh or Penang, where the agents handle submission and pickup, it is cost-neutral (= cost of taxis, etc) to do so, and because in those locations, agent-applications are preferred by the consulates.  In Laos, I don't really see the point, unless one is just a newbie who wants some hand-holding for the first time.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, JackThompson said:
On 2/18/2017 at 4:38 PM, seancbk said:

Because it's really easy to do with just a bit of research - on this site, for example.  But if someone has never made a trip for a Thai Visa in a neighboring country before, perhaps using a service would be a good run to see how it works first-hand.  OTOH, you could plan for making mistakes, getting lost, etc - and stay an extra night for close to the same additional cost.

This should not be confused with the use of agents in Phnom Penh or Penang, where the agents handle submission and pickup, it is cost-neutral (= cost of taxis, etc) to do so, and because in those locations, agent-applications are preferred by the consulates.  In Laos, I don't really see the point, unless one is just a newbie who wants some hand-holding for the first time.

I've been to Vientiane 6 or 7 times and used the same visa service everytime.   If I can pay someone to handle something for me, I will every time.  

I grew up in a family with people to cook, clean, do the gardening, drive us around and handle anything we asked them to.   

Great to hear.

Did you provide any additional papers like bank statement or outbound ticket?

Just a copy of passport id page, laos entry stamp page in my passport & 2pcs of photo 3.5cmx4.5cm and your passport as usual. There wasn't prove of funds, bank book or ticket things. And when i was in nongkhai border, the officer didn't ask any prove of fund or ticket. Otherwise he was being friendly because I'm living in his hometown, lol.

• Like 1

I'm planning on going to Vientiane next week.

Three visas from Vientiane already in this passport- one in 2014, then two consecutive in 2016. Last visa was from Hong Kong. I have been on back-to-back tourist visas now since Mar 2016 (which I got in Penang).

What's the likelihood of trouble? Are they likely to give one last one with the "no more" stamp, or if there is problem are they likely to refuse? I can bring a bank book with plenty of money in it (>500k) all of which came from abroad. I probably will go home after this one but haven't booked any flight yet.

5 hours ago, blorg said:

I'm planning on going to Vientiane next week.

Three visas from Vientiane already in this passport- one in 2014, then two consecutive in 2016. Last visa was from Hong Kong. I have been on back-to-back tourist visas now since Mar 2016 (which I got in Penang).

What's the likelihood of trouble? Are they likely to give one last one with the "no more" stamp, or if there is problem are they likely to refuse? I can bring a bank book with plenty of money in it (>500k) all of which came from abroad. I probably will go home after this one but haven't booked any flight yet.

No one can tell you for sure. I think you will get your visa, but a stamp saying Vientiane will not easily issue you any more is quite likely. In your position, I would go elsewhere, perhaps Yangon. If going to Yangon, you will need to get moving on the visa (cheap if you are in Bangkok, and can go to the consulate; more expensive for a visa online).

6 hours ago, BritTim said:

No one can tell you for sure. I think you will get your visa, but a stamp saying Vientiane will not easily issue you any more is quite likely. In your position, I would go elsewhere, perhaps Yangon. If going to Yangon, you will need to get moving on the visa (cheap if you are in Bangkok, and can go to the consulate; more expensive for a visa online).

Thanks- I have the flights booked already so going to Vientiane. I had planned actually originally to go to Savannakhet but then there were reports of them tightening up so I changed back to Vientiane. May go to Yangon next time.

22 hours ago, procycle53 said:

Hi all, the title of this thread isn't true, I got my SETV as 5th back to back and this is the 3rd setv from vientiane. Not even got any redmark stamp. So I've proved it by myself, vientiane is still friendly as usual. For someone who posted this thread, be responsible next time before create any thread

there are no absolutes. bottom line is anything can happen. it doesnt matter how many previous tourist visas you have or how much you have done your homework with paper work and procedures. there will always be a chance you will be denied a visa or if you do obtain a visa, you could be denied getting back into thailand. whatever reason it may be or if the officer is just having a bad day, it can and will happen. never count on things 100%, always have a backup plan. i am a legitimate tourist and have had loads of issues, the thai government has cost me 40,000+ baht in wasted money. 

Edited by at15

I did my second 6 months visa run to Vientiane last year on my previous non-O, I was to present a personal photo to immigration officer!   Next day when I went to airport to come back to bkk I was strangely asked by Thai airways if I had a returning ticket to my home country??? but luckily I had copies of my condo title deed and I told her I live in Thailand then immigration officer asked me which hotel I stayed at?.   I have to do my first visa run on my new non-o next April but maybe not to Vientiane unless someone comfort my worries.

2 hours ago, redwinecheese said:

I did my second 6 months visa run to Vientiane last year on my previous non-O, I was to present a personal photo to immigration officer!   Next day when I went to airport to come back to bkk I was strangely asked by Thai airways if I had a returning ticket to my home country??? but luckily I had copies of my condo title deed and I told her I live in Thailand then immigration officer asked me which hotel I stayed at?.   I have to do my first visa run on my new non-o next April but maybe not to Vientiane unless someone comfort my worries.

I must admit to being unsure if I understand your post. However, this is how I finally interpret it

1. You had an unexpired Thai multiple entry tourist visa at the time of last year's trip to Vientiane.
  2. You were asked to provide a visa photo on entry into Laos for your Lao visa on arrival. You would also have been asked for payment for that visa. You can expect the same to happen if you travel to Vientiane again.
  3. It appears the Thai Airways check in staff failed to see your valid visa, and was asking for a confirmed onward ticket out of Thailand within 30 days. The condo title deed would have been totally irrelevant, but presumably the check in staff, or supervisor, spotted your visa, and this resolved that particular issue. If faced with this in the future, just point out your visa to them.
  4. You probably failed to fill in the "address in Thailand" on your Thai immigration arrival card. Immigration want this, and this is why the immigration official asked for it. In the future, fully complete the immigration arrival form.

1 hour ago, BritTim said:

I must admit to being unsure if I understand your post. However, this is how I finally interpret it

1. You had an unexpired Thai multiple entry tourist visa at the time of last year's trip to Vientiane.
  2. You were asked to provide a visa photo on entry into Laos for your Lao visa on arrival. You would also have been asked for payment for that visa. You can expect the same to happen if you travel to Vientiane again.
  3. It appears the Thai Airways check in staff failed to see your valid visa, and was asking for a confirmed onward ticket out of Thailand within 30 days. The condo title deed would have been totally irrelevant, but presumably the check in staff, or supervisor, spotted your visa, and this resolved that particular issue. If faced with this in the future, just point out your visa to them.
  4. You probably failed to fill in the "address in Thailand" on your Thai immigration arrival card. Immigration want this, and this is why the immigration official asked for it. In the future, fully complete the immigration arrival form.

Last year and this I am on non-o visa multiple entry, I did previously visa run to Kuala Lumpur everything went fine no hassle at all.  No picture was asked when I entered Kuala Lumpur and no questions were asked when I left Kuala Lumpur the same day.  All I am talking about Laos is so primitive compared to Malaysia but thanks I got your message just not to worry.