Hospital faces probe over alleged demand for gold necklaces as a security deposit

rooster59

Hospital faces probe over alleged demand for gold necklaces as a security deposit

By CHAMNAN JAI-UA

THE NATION

67a66c0fa0411bd6fa79ba93224dab29.jpeg

A PRIVATE hospital is facing a probe after a family was allegedly asked to hand over gold necklaces as a security deposit after a 34-year-old patient requested to be transferred to a public hospital.

“We expect to get the probe results in three days,” Health Service Support Department (HSSD) deputy spokesman Dr Pattarapon Jungsomjatepaisal said yesterday. 

Full story: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30306618

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-02-18

Does it surprise anybody? Hospital is a business. Risk minimizing strategies are the necessary elements for any business. I would offer the hospital management to open a gold shop right inside their facilities to make the transactions easier.

“…the hospital demanded more than Bt40,000 for treatment given in just two hours…‘We checked his brain because he lost consciousness after a fall. There is cost involved. ‘ “

The patient lost consciousness after the fall, but most likely was conscious when admitted to the hospital. I doubt that they used a MRI, which might justify the cost. So, barring the use of the MRI, the two most common diagnostic tests are a Coma Scale, which in nothing more than asking the patient to follow some directions, and the use of a CT scan. Which is just a series of X-rays. Neither of which, let alone combined, should cost more than BT 1,000.

From my experience, most hospitals are honest and provide adequate care for Thailand standards. This hospital appears to be typical of some hospitals that put profit above everything else. If the patient was a westerner, he would have found himself in a private room, given needless tests and have a bill over 100,000 baht. 

With a maximum fine of BT 30,000, there seems to be little deterrent, other than ethics,  to change this practice. 

1 minute ago, jaltsc said:

“…the hospital demanded more than Bt40,000 for treatment given in just two hours…‘We checked his brain because he lost consciousness after a fall. There is cost involved. ‘ “

The patient lost consciousness after the fall, but most likely was conscious when admitted to the hospital. I doubt that they used a MRI, which might justify the cost. So, barring the use of the MRI, the two most common diagnostic tests are a Coma Scale, which in nothing more than asking the patient to follow some directions, and the use of a CT scan. Which is just a series of X-rays. 

From my experience, most hospitals are honest and provide adequate care for Thailand. This hospital appears to be typical of some hospitals that put profit above everything else. If the patient was a westerner, he would have found himself in a private room, given needless tests and have a bill over 100,000 baht. 

With a maximum fine of BT 30,000, there seems to be little deterrent, other than ethics,  to change this practice. 

Which hospitals exactly are "honest and provide adequate care" in Thailand?  I am trying to find one for more than a year already. Still no success.

Just now, Zikomat said:

Which hospitals exactly are "honest and provide adequate care" in Thailand?  I am trying to find one for more than a year already. Still no success.

It depends where you are. I have found that the best way is to find a number of people who have been guinea pigs and have received both, good care, and inadequate care. Most of the time it comes down to a particular doctor who specializes in whatever condition you are presenting, who might work in both, a private hospital and a public hospital. In that case, opt to see him in the public hospital. 

Unfortunately, the necessary information about doctors and hospitals that provide inadequate care and are obvious rip offs cannot be printed since Thailand has draconian defamation statutes, which place loss of face over public safety, no matter how true the charges might be. 

one fact of life in Thailand is that there is really only one private health cover... and that one requires (it's their selling point) that you already are a customer at age 60 or 65... I forget which.

the Thai government Insurance Dept. releases detailed data on every insurer by insurance type.

this is not an advertisement.  you need a passport and a B^$A card at all times.  and no, a Soc Sec card is not a substitute.

it's even what & why Sondhi was able to latch onto upset ajarn, because of the power of this topic (life death and health) in late 2005. is it not? also.

1 hour ago, Zikomat said:

Depends where you are. I have been going to the following hospital for more than 4 years. I see a cardiologist every three months who has a locum every Saturday morning; just for a check up which includes full blood test. I cannot speak highly enough of the service of the doctor and hospital staff. About 2,000- 2,500 baht depending on the number of blood tests which is about 60% of the total cost. The rest is the doctors fee and hospital charges.

I get a taxi from Mo Chit BTS.

Central General Hospital

290 Phaholyothin Road

Anusawari, Bangkhen,

Bangkok

6 hours ago, jaltsc said:

The patient lost consciousness after the fall, but most likely was conscious when admitted to the hospital. I doubt that they used a MRI, which might justify the cost. So, barring the use of the MRI, the two most common diagnostic tests are a Coma Scale, which in nothing more than asking the patient to follow some directions, and the use of a CT scan. Which is just a series of X-rays. Neither of which, let alone combined, should cost more than BT 1,000.

From my experience, most hospitals are honest and provide adequate care for Thailand standards. This hospital appears to be typical of some hospitals that put profit above everything else. If the patient was a westerner, he would have found himself in a private room, given needless tests and have a bill over 100,000 baht. 

I don't think it would be possible anywhere to get a CT scan for 1000 baht and i had a few over the years

7 hours ago, Zikomat said:

If in BKK, Rama hospital is excellent...Chula in Silom, again excellent....Vibhavadi in Kaset..private but very good....

What do you need?

2 hours ago, ChrisY1 said:

If in BKK, Rama hospital is excellent...Chula in Silom, again excellent....Vibhavadi in Kaset..private but very good....

What do you need?

I like BKKH Pattaya, but have only even been for consultancy, outpatient surgery and checkups...standard of English is good too for Thailand.

People say its prices are steep, but all the procedures I have had cost under US$200 so I cant even claim then on my medical insurance.

9 hours ago, Zikomat said:

I have been very happy with treatment recieved,also pricing.

Emergency dept, surgery,inpatientcare and outpatient care ongoing.

In my opinion the private hospitals are unnecessary expensive.

I recently changed from Pra Ram 9 Hospital to either Chulalongkorn or Pramongkutklao Hospital.

At private hospitals they accept my BUPA insurance but I have a self participation of 1,000 Baht and since visiting the public/government hospital my bill was always less.
My concern was they might not speak English but there is always a nurse who can speak English and many of the doctors graduated from abroad.

11 hours ago, Searat7 said:

I had MRI's for two areas (neck and back) done at a private hospital in Bangkok last month and the cost was only 17,000b.  (8500b each)

My Thai wife had a MR I in Australia a few weeks back and the cost was zero, zip none. Covered by Medicare not private health insurance.

21 hours ago, jaltsc said:

https://www.health-tourism.com/ct-scan/thailand/

The above says min 250USD and max 750USD

Archived