Issues with brand new Android TV box

markcm19

Just got a brand new Android box today,  the M8S+.  Hooked it up to TV,  worked as expected, except it failed to "find"  my WiFi network when I entered in password and hit join. It detected it but couldn't connect.  I turned off the device and turned it on again,  now it only displays the boot screen then TV shows "no source". 

I am lost at this point..  Any ideas for troubleshooting would be appreciated

if you got it from Fortune Town the best thing would be to take it back.

Sounds like it has died...

You can get a Minix U1 with the A2 remote at Fortune. My new U1 and older Minix X8-h work fine and Minix provide updates and support.

The U1 is latest with Android 5.1 and 4k and hevc capable.

3 hours ago, markcm19 said:

I turned off the device and turned it on again,  now it only displays the boot screen then TV shows "no source". 

It's probable that the Android runtime environment corrupted (power-off interrupted a critical memory write).  

You can check the Youtube for how to do a reset, factory reset, or firmware restore.

HOW TO FACTORY RESET THE M8 TV BOX, HOW TO RESTORE ...

Try moving the Android box around a bit... the WiFi signal strength may be a problem.

I found that was the problem in my house, so I went out and bought a TP-Link 300Mbps Wi-Fi Range Extender Kit AV500 Powerline Edition.

This resulted in effectively having a hard-wired network between my router and my Android box... much more reliable than WiFi.

I bought in on Lazada, this would be 3/6 of the electronics I ordered from them with serious issues. Did a factory reset but it only goes to the android logo now will attempt to load it with the programs again, else return it if possible. Thanks for the guide!

4 minutes ago, markcm19 said:

I bought in on Lazada, this would be 3/6 of the electronics I ordered from them with serious issues. Did a factory reset but it only goes to the android logo now will attempt to load it with the programs again, else return it if possible. Thanks for the guide!

You have 1 week toi return and get a full refund from Lazada, that is what I would start with.

If you rely on a wifi connection, then for sure don't order a box with internal antenna.

11 hours ago, markcm19 said:

even after a factory reset it is crashing every few minutes to the TV/no source screen. I guess I must send it back? Any recommendations for a wifi model would be nice !

If it kicks you to the tv/ no source screen something is wrong with the HDMI connection, or the box closes down completely, so yes send it back before it's too late.

Very simple procedure, where you activate the return on the Lazada website, print out the form and send back by post office without paying anything.

If you look for a decent box with a WORKING kodi, and including remote support and updates, feel free to send me a PM.

5 minutes ago, Allstars said:

If it kicks you to the tv/ no source screen something is wrong with the HDMI connection, or the box closes down completely, so yes send it back before it's too late.

Very simple procedure, where you activate the return on the Lazada website, print out the form and send back by post office without paying anything.

That's what I did with the Android box I got from Lazada.

Returned and refunded no problems.

When I filled out the return form I simply said that it was not suitable and under-specked.

2 hours ago, williewolf said:

... you really do need to hard wire your box to get any stability with kodi

I wish more people understood this.

I really makes a world of difference.

Archived