Photos of foot waving foreigner criticized in Phuket

rooster59

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Bluespunk said:

Dangerous?

Unless they are driving and/or not wearing a seat belt, how is it dangerous?

Would be dangerous as angry netizens are at this very moment banging away on their smart phones as they hurtle along in their ever so important nice cars.

1 hour ago, loong said:

I have seen many Thais lounging in a hammock and completely un-bothered that the soles of their feet are pointing at someone. Nobody takes it as an insult. You know when it is intended as an insult, that is when someone raises their foot and deliberately points at you with the soles of their foot. People who complain about this are just looking for something to complain about a foreigner. Morons.

But...but...but,  This incident is damaging the image of Phuket.   Seriously, of all the things that need to be done to improve the image of Phuket, this supposedly negative incident pales into insignificance.  

2 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

Not sure inviting is the word.

I often see people in Starbucks remove their shoes and 'air out' their feet.

Never seen one attacked yet.

And yes I am aware of the cultural issues surrounding waving feet at someone.

This person's feet don't appear to be aimed at anyone.

"I often see people in Starbucks remove their shoes and 'air out' their feet."

How many times have you seen them put their feet up on a table in a similar manner the OP shows in another customer's direction?    Yes, yes, I know...you've probably seen it lot's of times

1 hour ago, Chip Allen said:

Thailand: offended by FEET.  Not offended by corruption and fraud. Simply amazing. The stultifying ignorance of a culture that places such importance on FEET, deserves the contempt of every thinking human. The obscenity of poverty is expected by these people, but FEET are just too much to handles.

Where did you get the information that all Thais are "not offended by corruption and fraud"? 

Your banal assertion, and the claim that Thai people "expect poverty", deserves just as much contempt

4 hours ago, AGareth2 said:

deport him

for showing disrespect to Thailand!

So what about all the Thais who remove their shoes & sit cross leg on chair in a restaurant or the like ? Is that any different from what the guy in the van is doing ?

Just wondering.

3 hours ago, Jonmarleesco said:

Presumably, then, every Muay Thai boxer is doing just that every time he lifts his foot.

It's not too often when you see the two fighters kissing and cuddling in the ring.

Who knows, maybe it is that offensive..........:shock1:

1 hour ago, gdgbb said:

Good to know you wouldn't be bothered by someone giving you a long show of the finger.

Not at all... 

If a van went pass my place and someone was giving the bird to everyone, it wouldn't be an insult to me personally, so why would I be offended ?

Some people just need to lighten up, yourself included :)

1 hour ago, gdgbb said:

"I often see people in Starbucks remove their shoes and 'air out' their feet."

How many times have you seen them put their feet up on a table in a similar manner the OP shows in another customer's direction?    Yes, yes, I know...you've probably seen it lot's of times

The feet frequently point in someone's direction.

On the table never but on the seats or resting on a knee they usually rest.

By their very position they inadvertently point. 

And yet never a one attacked. 

5 hours ago, Gandtee said:

People have been murdered for pointing a foot at someone here in Thailand. For Thais a very insulting action. Not the murdering.:saai:

Thais for some reason like to stick two fingers up when posing for a photo.

Strange contradiction really.

17 minutes ago, Gerard052 said:

You are the one who should be deported if you are offended your Highness, grow up.  Disrespect my .ss.

The bottom line is that it is a disrespectful act in Thailand, according to Thai culture, just like wearing females showing two much skin in many Middle Eastern countries is also disrespectful.

Archived