Getting A Cold In Thailand Worse Than In The West?

yogavnture

I'm  wondering if as a westerner .. colds are harder for us to recover from here than local thais?  in my country we get colds in winter. I'm not used to getting a cold in the heat of Thailand.  the cold seems to linger and wants to hold on more than normal.  I wonder if the viruses here are more foreign to our western bodies here and it just takes longer to get over??????????  or maybe I'm just getting old...........thanks

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, my colds are worse and last longer than when I had them in the West.  Right now, I'm battling a slight cough which is a hangover of a cold I caught on December 28.   This despite daily popping vitamin C's and ginger drinks.  I know it will eventually go away, as the others have;  it just takes a lot longer to do so.  

I'm chalking it up to old age.  

15 minutes ago, chiang mai said:

I must be doing something right, I haven't had a cold in fifteen years!

Have you traveled by air much in 15 years?   That's where I usually catch my "bugs."  All that recirculated air, sharing the viruses of everyone on that flight.  When I came back from the holidays, everyone on the international flight seemed to be hacking, coughing, and snotting.   Ergo:  24 hours later, I was coming down with it.  First cold I had since the previous trip!   If I could only hold my breath for 14 hours...

6 minutes ago, Fookhaht said:

Have you traveled by air much in 15 years?   That's where I usually catch my "bugs."  All that recirculated air, sharing the viruses of everyone on that flight.  When I came back from the holidays, everyone on the international flight seemed to be hacking, coughing, and snotting.   Ergo:  24 hours later, I was coming down with it.  First cold I had since the previous trip!   If I could only hold my breath for 14 hours...

Take a zinc tablet before you fly. That will boost your immune system, and give your body a better chance of defeating them bugs. They are also effective if taken within a short period of time, if you come in to contact with a flu spreader.

1 hour ago, chiang mai said:

I must be doing something right, I haven't had a cold in fifteen years!

Are you in the UK ,?   claiming your heating  allowance  .555

C u soon ,  NHS ,  that will do nicely .

5 hours ago, Fookhaht said:

Yes, my colds are worse and last longer than when I had them in the West.  Right now, I'm battling a slight cough which is a hangover of a cold I caught on December 28.   This despite daily popping vitamin C's and ginger drinks.  I know it will eventually go away, as the others have;  it just takes a lot longer to do so.  

Another possible reason is that it's a more virulent virus than you've had before.

It's not a problem in December, but if you catch a cold when it's very hot It's also possible that the heat makes the immune system weaker. Heat causes stress, which weakens the body. 

No it's not worse, the problem is the availability and access to proper effective medicine. The codeine based cough syrups and pseudoephedrine based cold and flu tablets are extremely effective when you are really sick. Also lacking are any proper decongestant or anti histamines.I am sorry to say that phenylepherine, tiffy, paracetamol and the other crap they fob off does <deleted> all when you are truly sick. Which is why when ever friends and family come to visit I make sure they bring supplies from Western pharmacies so I know if I get sick I will be able to shake it in a couple days.

33 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

I have only had the very odd cold or sore throat, and they never have lasted any more than three days, unlike in the UK.

I'll order what he's having.  :thumbsup:

How about your sugar intake?  I admittedly have a sweet tooth.  The rumor is that sugar lowers your immune system.

My experience is the same. I arrived in Thailand at the beginning of January and developed the worst cold I can ever remember. It took me a full three weeks to recover. I suspect that it arises from exposure to organisms that are completely unfamiliar to our immune system.

Although my reading of the subject categorically rules out the effect of recirculated air on airline flights, I am absolutely convinced that this is the reason. These systems are not capable of filtering out viruses and the seating arrangements bring us into close proximity to a large number of people from a variety  of countries who might all be carriers of viruses to which we have never previously  been exposed and for which we have no immunity.

It has a lot to do with the insane overuse of air-conditioning in Thailand. They consider it as a status symbol to put it on as low a setting as possible, especially in their cars, but also in private homes, condos, certain restaurants, etc.  And this cold air is extremely dry, it dessiccates and irritates your mucous membranes and makes them extremely susceptible to attack by viruses and bacteria.

In my condo I keep the temperature at 28 degrees, which is just perfect for me. And I open my windows early in the morning to let some humidity in. Did not have a cold or flu for almost 5 years, except once, after a long airplane flight where the air was ice-cold and probably saturated by viruses from sneezing passengers. I wonder if the use of a gas mask with a good filter would be allowed in an airplane cabin?

20 minutes ago, Fookhaht said:

I'll order what he's having.  :thumbsup:

How about your sugar intake?  I admittedly have a sweet tooth.  The rumor is that sugar lowers your immune system.

I do like a cup of tea with half calorie sugar every evening with biscuits, but I can afford that little luxury as I don't have a weight problem, and 

exercise most days.

4 minutes ago, Bonefish said:

It has a lot to do with the insane overuse of air-conditioning in Thailand. They consider it as a status symbol to put it on as low a setting as possible, especially in their cars, but also in private homes, condos, certain restaurants, etc.  And this cold air is extremely dry, it dessiccates and irritates your mucous membranes and makes them extremely susceptible to attack by viruses and bacteria.

In my condo I keep the temperature at 28 degrees, which is just perfect for me. And I open my windows early in the morning to let some humidity in. Did not have a cold or flu for almost 5 years, except once, after a long airplane flight where the air was ice-cold and probably saturated by viruses from sneezing passengers. I wonder if the use of a gas mask with a good filter would be allowed in an airplane cabin?

Suppose they would allow the simple paper air filter over your mouth/nose?  Would anyone think you were a hijacker?  Do you think those would be somewhat effective to ward off viruses/bacteria?

14 hours ago, Fookhaht said:

My colds always lingered in England but I have fewer colds here and they linger longer. 

7 minutes ago, ChrisKC said:

My colds always lingered in England but I have fewer colds here and they linger longer. 

Same with me exactly.  I had three or more colds a year back in North America (cold climate area), and maybe once a year here on the average--but oh, do they hang on!   I wonder if it has anything to do with the more humid/warm climate that favors incubating germs/viruses?  Just my uneducated guess   

23 minutes ago, Fookhaht said:

Suppose they would allow the simple paper air filter over your mouth/nose?  Would anyone think you were a hijacker?  Do you think those would be somewhat effective to ward off viruses/bacteria?

They are effective for larger dust particles and possibly some bacteria, but not for viruses 

7 minutes ago, Bonefish said:

They are effective for larger dust particles and possibly some bacteria, but not for viruses 

Interesting how prevalent all over Asia these filter masks are (especially Japan).  Usually connected with a cold:  trying to prevent getting one, or trying to prevent spreading one  (I think less-often connected with general air pollution).  

I'm not too confident about the education here regarding bacteria/viruses, and it's shaken every time I notice the community drinking cup in the lobby, and the community hand towel in the restroom at . . . . . (drumroll) . . . . . the local government hospital.  :ermm:

I've got on numerous flights to arrive with a mega cold ! Some of these airlines are crazy pumping out freezing air for 12 hours mostly aimed at your head! Why do they do this now ?  Shopping malls are the same, too cold to take your time shopping, I always leave before I want to. Some restaurants too. Question, does the average foreigner laugh at, or call stupid, another foreigner ( me!) wearing a mask on a flight ? Another thing about catching a cold here, is that people ( mostly Thais but foreigners too, ) sneeze and cough all over the place, then touch everything , menus, handrails, money etc. Ugh.

19 minutes ago, geisha said:

I've got on numerous flights to arrive with a mega cold ! Some of these airlines are crazy pumping out freezing air for 12 hours mostly aimed at your head! Why do they do this now ?  Shopping malls are the same, too cold to take your time shopping, I always leave before I want to. Some restaurants too. Question, does the average foreigner laugh at, or call stupid, another foreigner ( me!) wearing a mask on a flight ? Another thing about catching a cold here, is that people ( mostly Thais but foreigners too, ) sneeze and cough all over the place, then touch everything , menus, handrails, money etc. Ugh.

17 minutes ago, geisha said:

Me again, I forgot the cinema !!! I used to go often here, not anymore, a miserable two hours freezing. 

I used to love to linger for several hours at Starbucks back in the home country, doing my work.  Not in Thailand and their sub-zero Starbucks coffee shops! (Of course, maybe that's their diabolical plan to keep the table-hoggers moving along...) 

I've finally learned to pop a light jacket into my small backpack, which accompanies me everywhere.  Not gonna get the best of me!   555

Incidentally, Japan is the same in the summer.  Freeze aboard their trains and in their restaurants/hotels all summer.  Then winter comes and the opposite--heat pumped up to suffocating levels in those same places.  Hate to guess the vast amount of energy wastage in these countries.  

I think most have talked of the majority 'do's & don'ts' but I think the secondary infections in S.E. Asia, or in any warm/hot climate, might be responsible for 'the hanging on longer' part. When resistance is lowered by the virus Cocci can take hold and cause all manner of 'cold like' symptoms, sore throat, bronchial etc.. Especially as one gets over 60 exercise, reasonable diet, are so important to keep a biochemical balance. But we are all different and you have to find your own optimum level.

Fookhadt and Amusements - spot on for me. The sore throat is the worst ever - nothing seems to help much. The Lurgi seems to last longer here too.

Ta for the Zinc tip Amusements. I think it's probably good - and as the air in an jetliner is probably often re-circulated, the little bugs that cause such grief have a field day.

We can send men to the moon, but no instant cure - yet - for a cold..... Sigh.....

14 minutes ago, Altalake said:

Fookhadt and Amusements - spot on for me. The sore throat is the worst ever - nothing seems to help much. The Lurgi seems to last longer here too.

Ta for the Zinc tip Amusements. I think it's probably good - and as the air in an jetliner is probably often re-circulated, the little bugs that cause such grief have a field day.

We can send men to the moon, but no instant cure - yet - for a cold..... Sigh.....

I've read several times that the biggest downside of working as a flight attendant is the constant exposure to airborne diseases in the tightly-closed environment environment of an airliner.

Even if the air circulation equipment is supposed to catch most of the airborne diseases, you still have to contend with nearby people who cough and sneeze--many without the courtesy to cover their mouths/noses.  I've given up glaring at them.  They're clueless.  

Archived