Pattaya's sex capital image: We can't change it overnight, says tourism chief, but change it we will!

rooster59

Pattaya's sex capital image: We can't change it overnight, says tourism chief, but change it we will!

16832018_1754471071537851_5128125815238599588_n.jpg

Image: Pattaya News

PATTAYA:-- The chief of Pattaya's tourism office has said that changing the resort's seedy image is not something that can be expected to happen overnight.

But Sinchai Watanasartsathorn said he was determined to work with all sectors both public and private to change its image. And one day he said he would succeed.

Sinchai - a chamber of commerce and tourism expert - was talking to the Pattaya News following a story that appeared online in the UK's Mirror newspaper.

The Mirror called Pattaya the "Sex Capital of the World", said there were 27,000 protitutes in the city, or one in five of the female population and said all this goes on despite pay for play being illegal in the kingdom.

"It is undeniable that stories like this have a detrimental effect on Pattaya," said Sinchai."It is especially bad for people who have never been here and those that are weighing up their decisions whether to come or not".

But Sinchai does not have rose tinted specs - he accepted that the resort has got the sex image for good reason and this has been going on for many many years.

"But both the public and private sector are determined to change this image. It will take time and certainly cannot be achieved overnight but we will ultimately be successful".

He said that many people were actively promoting new tourist trends to show that Pattaya has much more to offer than just the sex industry. He said this was vital to attract new and increased investment.

Meanwhile the police said that despite the fact there were many crimes committed in Pattaya they were doing their best to address the issues and solve the crimes.

"We need a long term plan," said a hopeful Sinchai as he called on all sides to improve the resort's image in the future.

Source: Pattaya News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-02-19

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't ' change ' it, regulate it, Pattaya is well known for it's liberal sex industry

and this is a good thing as long as you make sure it's safe and free from rouge and

criminal elements, banish those nasty and obnoxious lady boys from Pattaya

or bring them under control, keep drugs and underage from the sex scenes,

If you kill sex tourism I n Pattaya, you can kiss goodbye to half or more of your

tourists and that's a fact....

1 hour ago, ezzra said:

Don't ' change ' it, regulate it, Pattaya is well known for it's liberal sex industry

and this is a good thing as long as you make sure it's safe and free from rouge and

If you kill sex tourism I n Pattaya, you can kiss goodbye to half or more of your

Yep, and maybe half of the problem goes away too. Actually I have to better myself. Half is too much, but likely 20-25 %.

26 minutes ago, ffaarraanngg said:

Know what you mean if these bastions of decency do clean Pattaya up will have to find another sleazy place on planet earth.

Yeah, doesn't really matter to me, as I'm married & have a daughter.

I don't mess with hookers, but I LIKE to look at them!

--------------------

I was pulling down some beers with a friend once in a Pattaya bar & my wife called me & put my (5 years old at the time daughter) on the phone.

She said "Daddy, Come home".

I was left zero way out except to return to base.

That was an underhanded trick by the wife!

--------------------

Had a Buddy bellied up to the bar another time & his wife came in & whacked him with a bamboo pole!

We were rolling on the floor trying to stay out of the fray.

Just knowing they are there makes me feel good.

I enjoy going into a bar w/ some friends & being swarmed by pretty women...Buy 'em a few drinks, banter with them a bit, enjoy it & go home.

----------

Had another friend bellied up to the bar, with his hand down some gal's shirt & his wife drove by and saw him. She came in, mad as a hornet & grabbed him by the ear & hauled him home with her.

39 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

I take the bus to Pattaya from Hua Hin and a motorbike taxi from the bus station to Soi Six and check into my hotel. I never leave Soi Six.

I was just wondering, what is the rest of Pattaya like?

Like Hua Hin  :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, jaywalker said:

Yeah, doesn't really matter to me, as I'm married & have a daughter.

I don't mess with hookers, but I LIKE to look at them!

--------------------

I was pulling down some beers with a friend once in a Pattaya bar & my wife called me & put my (5 years old at the time daughter) on the phone.

She said "Daddy, Come home".

I was left zero way out except to return to base.

That was an underhanded trick by the wife!

--------------------

Had a Buddy bellied up to the bar another time & his wife came in & whacked him with a bamboo pole!

We were rolling on the floor trying to stay out of the fray.

Just knowing they are there makes me feel good.

I enjoy going into a bar w/ some friends & being swarmed by pretty women...Buy 'em a few drinks, banter with them a bit, enjoy it & go home.

----------

Had another friend bellied up to the bar, with his hand down some gal's shirt & his wife drove by and saw him. She came in, mad as a hornet & grabbed him by the ear & hauled him home with her.

Whatever. I don't like to read books but I waste hours and hours in bookshops just looking at the covers, while my wife and daughter sit at home all alone.

Maybe they could start too with Australia uk.  Spain  whilst I worked lived in Spain ,,they were lining the streets ,,,agree clean up but oldest profession 

never ,,,eradicate it ,,agree maybe it can be controlled slightly

take Las Vegas ,,,its all on websites and filled in local rag ,,for sex 

,on population vegas would leave thailand for dead ,,,,,

and agree with chap who said ..uk papers ,,clean up own streets first but there again pattaya always gets trashed ,,,,

i like it here for other reasons as to cost and married to thai ,,,

so ok again I may not have answer but again it's not just thailand that has hookers ,,,

4 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

Haven't looked like changing it in the last 27 years, from what I've seen.

Also, I am afraid, as there is not much else on offer, the official view differs hugely from the private views.

By killing off the "seedy" parts tourists will stay away, people will disappear elsewhere to earn money, and the town dies.

Clean up the criminal influences, offer more different attractions, and then see what happens.

2 hours ago, ffaarraanngg said:

I took my daughter there the other year and we stayed away from the sleezier parts of town, was like going to anywhere else in Thailand and after frequenting the place on my own for almost 2 decades was surprised how normal it can be.

Your 100% correct

you can stay away from the sex side of town if you want to.

if only on holiday.  if you live here its a bit harder for people and there families not come into contact with the better side of off pattaya. :jap:

Personally ,    I i think they are flogging a dead horse trying to change the rest of the worlds view of pattaya.

I would be  very happy for pattaya to get back to basics and promote

Sex Town Pattaya for what it is,  the  Sex capital of the work,  bring back all the 24 hour drinking bars  ,   bands,     expand the soi 6 area out and up.. more Go-Go bars with the old style  sex shows,,

close down all the shopping malls and pansy type coffee shops that have ruined the Image of the true pattaya.

Long live Sex Town Pattaya. :intheclub:

3 hours ago, ffaarraanngg said:

I took my daughter there the other year and we stayed away from the sleezier parts of town, was like going to anywhere else in Thailand and after frequenting the place on my own for almost 2 decades was surprised how normal it can be.

Your 100% correct

if only on holiday.  if you live here its a bit harder for people and there families not come into contact with the better side of off pattaya. :jap:

Personally ,    I  think they are flogging a dead horse trying to change the rest of the worlds view of pattaya.

Sex Town Pattaya for what it is,  the  Sex capital of the work,  bring back all the 24 hour drinking bars  ,   bands,     expand the soi 6 area out and up.. more Go-Go bars with the old style  sex shows,,

close down all the shopping malls and pansy type coffee shops that have ruined the Image of the true pattaya.

5 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

Oh it's changed all right, lots of baht buses off the streets, how are the shirtless drunks going to manage their pub crawls? Not even a baht bus to take tourists to the bus station from the Dolphin roundabout. The buses from Mochit and Ekkamai stopping to fuel up about ten minutes from the Pattaya terminus, giving all the passengers a 20 min wait.:post-4641-1156693976:

16 minutes ago, onemorechang said:

Your 100% correct

Personally ,    I  think they are flogging a dead horse trying to change the rest of the worlds view of pattaya.

Please change your avatar.  You are tarnishing Donald's image.   :neus:

2 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

I take the bus to Pattaya from Hua Hin and a motorbike taxi from the bus station to Soi Six and check into my hotel. I never leave Soi Six.

Well, it is a surprising large city. If you are into golfing there are a number of good courses close by. If you are into water sports, there are alot of options. If you are into carting there are some good tracks. One really good mall, and not much else, from my point of view. If you are not into the babes, it is just another larger Thai city. I could see why some guys like the geography as it is close to both the airport and Bangkok. I have never been a big fan of Pattaya. But, some seem to really love the place. 

It does seem as though the government wants to move away from the sex industry, and make the whole country more family friendly. Large segments of the tourism industry do not partake these days. It seems to be changing gradually all over the country. Phuket and Samui are a pale shadow of their former selves, when it comes to nightlife, and the babes. Pattaya, Hua Hin and Bangkok seem to be holding their own. Chiang Mai has disappeared off the face of the map, in this regard. 

5 hours ago, ezzra said:

Just less than a third of all Thailand's tourists visit Pattaya, but not all for sex, perhaps half of that amount, so about 1/6th of Thaland's tourism, but then if it were not for the sex then a great deal more families might visit Pattaya, or Thailand in general, obviously it does put people off, so it really is not possible to say that removing the prostitution from the tourist industry will result in fewer tourists, more just that those tourists will not come.

5 hours ago, ezzra said:

tourists and that's a fact...

Do all cities of world get only half or less of the tourists of cities famous with sex tourism?

That's absurd. I am not against Pattaya being a city of "fun" but against its totally depending on sex tourism.

If they were to change the area from the sex capital then there will be no more income for Pattaya.Pattaya has no clean beaches until you go to Jomtien and even that is getting more polluted. Sex.,drinking orgies and partying goes hand in hand all over the world.The large part of the tourist dollar that Thailand counts on comes from the sex tourist .They are westerners that have been here for 30 or 40 years that have never been to a temple out side of a friends burning or wedding.No Sex in Pattaya,No Money in Pattaya.

Been hearing this for 35 years,  I agree, its still the same, just worse traffic and better shopping.

2 minutes ago, Shawn0000 said:

Just less than a third of all Thailand's tourists visit Pattaya, but not all for sex, perhaps half of that amount, so about 1/6th of Thaland's tourism, but then if it were not for the sex then a great deal more families might visit Pattaya, or Thailand in general, obviously it does put people off, so it really is not possible to say that removing the prostitution from the tourist industry will result in fewer tourists, more just that those tourists will not come.

Does Pattaya really get 10m visitors a year? That's a genuine question.

3 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

Do you even lave the hotel? Surely by now you must have all their phone numbers  5555

Archived