Pattaya's sex capital image: We can't change it overnight, says tourism chief, but change it we will!

rooster59

14 hours ago, fisherd3 said:

Gambia has just officially apologised to Thailand for branding it a sex tourist destination.

This apology happened about a year back.

But the irony of the initial 'slur' was that it was coming from the Gambia, a country well known for providing Scandi females of a certain age the use of local gigalos. I witnessed this some 40 years ago when, on a business trip to Banjul, rather than the expected supply of willing local females the tables were decidedly turned. Being based in Liberia I was rather nonplussed by this unfortunate turn of events but luckily I was only there for a week. No internet in those days to clue me in!!

https://www.liveleak.com/view?t=9ed_1396333655

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, essox essox said:

same as soi sex do a google search to find many more places.....some could be better than 6 get around more!!!! Go darkside and enlighten yourself !!!      SIMPLE

thanks but i was  just joking.

• 3 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, Kim J said:

Given the rapidly increasing prices and equally rapidly diminishing quality the authorities might have to do very little in order to achieve their goal. Probably just sitting back and watching pattaya's infamous nightlife self destruct will suffice.

You obviously do not know where to go or what to do.

If you are talking about WS sure a rip off tourists trap. But those of us who live here rarely if ever go there and certainly not to take a lady.

If they were to change the area from the sex capital then there will be no more income for Pattaya.Pattaya has no clean beaches until you go to Jomtien and even that is getting more polluted. Sex.,drinking orgies and partying goes hand in hand all over the world.The large part of the tourist dollar that Thailand counts on comes from the sex tourist .They are westerners that have been here for 30 or 40 years that have never been to a temple out side of a friends burning or wedding.No Sex in Pattaya,No Money in Pattaya.

We recently rented a condo in Jomtien for a couple of weeks. While the condo and its adjacent grounds were nice, a short walk in any direction and it seems every undeveloped lot was a garbage dump, with packs of dogs. The beach road pretty much sucked with people stopping to eat their dinner and watch the sunset, and then tossing their garbage into the rocks on the beach. Strolling along the beach involved dodging stinking, idling busses, overflowing garbage bins, and the entire area was extremely unpleasant. Not impressed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On 2/19/2017 at 5:32 AM, Thaiwrath said:

Haven't looked like changing it in the last 27 years, from what I've seen.

You read the post without distraction?

"But Sinchai Watanasartsathorn said he was determined to work with all sectors both public and private to change its image. And one day he said he would succeed."

It sounds to me like he's bucking against the very thing that put the city of Pattaya on the map in the first place.

On 3/4/2019 at 12:14 PM, Kim J said:

When Pattaya authorities make statements such as this, they really need to back it up with at least a modicum of action. The sex industry around pattaya is both spreading out and growing constantly.

Despite what go's on in the city, new bars, massage shops etc are continually opening on the darkside, mostly containing staff that offer a little more than a bottle of beer. If they were serious about changing Pattaya's image, may I suggest preventing the opening of new establishments that promote prostitution would have been a good place to start.

This sex industry over recent decades has become ingrained into the Thai way of life for many. The authorities need to consider much more than the tourist dynamics, they need to change the train of thought of many Thai women that see Pattaya and the likes as an easy way of getting rich. To achieve that will probably take more decades than the whole situation took to develop, as realistic employment opportunities with good pay for people with limited education are simply not currently available.

Pattaya is great just the way it is....There is nothing to change...

4 hours ago, SpokaneAl said:

We recently rented a condo in Jomtien for a couple of weeks. While the condo and its adjacent grounds were nice, a short walk in any direction and it seems every undeveloped lot was a garbage dump, with packs of dogs. The beach road pretty much sucked with people stopping to eat their dinner and watch the sunset, and then tossing their garbage into the rocks on the beach. Strolling along the beach involved dodging stinking, idling busses, overflowing garbage bins, and the entire area was extremely unpleasant. Not impressed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yup that's about right. For this is the affordable Thai beach resort close to the international airport, with cheap baht bus transport, an immigration office, cheap condos, clean restaurants and food and most importantly CLEAN AIR. The problem is Thailand IMHO - if I wasn't happily married to a Thai I would have gone elsewhere long ago. As I am this is my little piece of 'paradise'. 

On 2/19/2017 at 4:59 AM, rooster59 said:

"It is undeniable that stories like this have a detrimental effect on Pattaya,"

This is why people go to Pattaya!  This Mirror article isn't a problem; it's advertising!

People can visit other parts of Thailand to experience different things. If they want temples and a spiritual experience, there are places for that in Thailand.

Pattaya is a place with its own attraction and is fine as it is, except the drugging and robbing....and the occasion old farang walking around in public naked cos he had too much fun and couldn't handle it.

1 in 5 females are working girls in Pattaya. Good! It's Pattaya! If you want to kill this, make the minimum wage 1500 a day (at least). And as someone else said, "kiss goodbye to tourist cash" sloshing around in the economy.

The economy would fall to its knees (excuse the pun) without this.

If this were outlawed, how many girls and ladyboys across the country would go from 1500 (or more) a day to 300 a day (or less)?

It is estimated there is between 1-2 million in the country.

11 hours ago, FruitPudding said:

the occasion old farang walking around in public naked cos he had too much fun and couldn't handle it.

Once again, apologies for what happened that night. I was off my meds at the time. 

10 hours ago, Lantern said:

Are there any less working girls now from when the article was written?

I live here I would say no.

Soi 6 is overflowing with them.

Way too many girls for customers.

Beach road is hit and miss depending on the time because of the police.  Some nights I have counted over 200.

The special massage shops same as 6.  I see 8 to 10 girls in a shop very little customers.

I would say there is at least the same north of rip off WS.

But, a lot of the problems  for them is phone addiction issues.

Everyplace you go/walk by dug faces in their phones.

Whatever, it is their loss they should stop complaining about "no customers" and maybe look up occasionally with some eye contact and a smile.

On 2/19/2017 at 1:02 AM, NCC1701A said:

I take the bus to Pattaya from Hua Hin and a motorbike taxi from the bus station to Soi Six and check into my hotel. I never leave Soi Six.

I was just wondering, what is the rest of Pattaya like?

Just full of TV prudes who state one thing and do another.  Unwittingly you have probably spoke to many of them in Soi 6.  Excluding the 50% that frequent boyztown that is, nudge , nudge, know what I mean squire ?

Most of the single and guys tourist travelers that come here just have one reason it all about booze, girl and party because it's easy and comfortable. So this was happening for many years and at the same time, it boosts their economy from nothing to what they are today. Also, this was very common among human beings it is part of their needs. If they really want to change then they must ban all the alcohol manufacturers and shut down all the parties places and create recreation centers or parks. Which is hard for them and do you think that they still can completely stop this prostitution, I don't think so. What I noticed is the poor family women here are prefer foreigners which expecting the foreigners can help or support their poor families in the rural areas.So these people are trying to survive till the last day on the earth.

Archived