Pattaya's sex capital image: We can't change it overnight, says tourism chief, but change it we will!

rooster59

Here some suggestions:

all bar /beach/ sex workers need a monthly mandatory STD HIV check and document to prove this.Sex workers need pay their check themselves anyone without these documents need be removed from the sex industry.Pattaya beach road lately looks worse then Before.maybe install more lights and create more sit areas.Be much more strict to bars/owners in case of excessive violence has been used against its customers.hefty fines and temporarily closures of establishnent  should be a standard procedure.On otherhand in Comparison with many Cities in Europe Pattaya is already a much safer place today but of course things can always be improved.

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

According to latest attempts of the "tourist experts" at the helm the place may become the world's dream destination for Pokemon and Durian KitKat enthusiast. However, in this case forget to lure Muslims, they are not really willing to leave their hedonism oriented home countries for kids games and chocolate cookies anyway. 

Does the tourism chief have a plan for what to do with 27,000 unemployed prostitutes and their pimps?

Back to the village? Working on the family farm? I doubt it!

Might want to stick to restoring the beach, getting rid of the rats, even dumping the trash containers and picking up the piles of rubbish once in awhile, etc.

8 hours ago, rooster59 said:

But Sinchai Watanasartsathorn said he was determined to work with all sectors both public and private to change its image. And one day he said he would succeed.

Yes your right if the day ever comes it will be when people can make a livable wage all this will definitely change. It is so lucrative that young ladies from adjoining countries are joining in on the prosperity. I recently watched a graduation exercise on Thai TV with a room full of 100's of young hopefuls getting diploma's just one institution and wondered where oh where will these young hopefuls find prosperity. Some always do creme de la creme but what about the others. There are less and less future consumers being born every year as even the most uneducated realize that there is little future opportunity and quality of life for any offspring that they bring forth. 

2 minutes ago, Lupatria said:

According to latest attempts of the "tourist experts" at the helm the place may become the world's dream destination for Pokemon and Durian KitKat enthusiast. However, in this case forget to lure Muslims, they are not really willing to leave their hedonism oriented home countries for kids games and chocolate cookies anyway. 

Your right we don't want to see this around town :bah:

images.jpg

8 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Meanwhile the police said that despite the fact there were many crimes committed in Pattaya they were doing their best to address the issues and solve the crimes.

At least those crimes where they likely can pocket some money, or even some others that will tend to make them look (have a BIG FACE) like they are 'really trying'...........TIT

30 minutes ago, Belzybob said:

I reckon he's underestimated the hooker ratio " one in five of the female population ". Just about all the women I know in Pattaya are hookers.

The ratio wasn't actually referring to the women that you know, but women on the whole.

The Thai government is trying to stamp out the sex industry because of the very incidents that are constantly reported in the news and almost always involving Western tourists. They will continue raiding bars and sex establishments looking for violations and will continue putting pressure on the owners to either close down or move out to another location. the government doesn't care about what happens to the employees. Most will return to Isaan or other provinces or find ways to go abroad or enter the internet business.

Pattaya is being groomed for the Chinese tourist and middle to upper class Thais- neither of which need the overt sex industry that is based upon the Western mind set.

You will see the end of Walking Street as it currently exists; more boutique restaurants and shopping areas such as the new Terminal 21. The Westerners will get the message and go elsewhere but the Government won't care because the money will still pour in.

In addition, Thailand has an expanding middle class who are able to spend money on domestic travel.

As I have mentioned time and time again the sex business in Thailand is a losing proposition. It is under siege and most of the foreigners involved are selling out or simply  closing.  The Junta does not like it and they will be around for a long time in one form or another.

8 hours ago, ezzra said:

If you kill sex tourism I n Pattaya, you can kiss goodbye to half or more of your

tourists and that's a fact....

...but possibly attract double the number of normal tourists who wouldn't otherwise go there!  A win-win situation.

Nothing will change in thailand until girls are taught at an early stage about self respect and to study hard and not to find a partner twice their age for an easy life. The parents need to stop thinking this is ok since their daughter will always look after them. It will take a few generations but that's what needs to be done.

Sent from my LG-H990 using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

1 hour ago, Peterw42 said:

It would be an interesting exersise if all posters mentioned if they in fact live in pattaya or not., As I suspect 90% of the pattaya "image" is perpetuated by people who dont live in or visit Pattaya.

I live here, and beside the obvious red light area, find it no different to any other part of Thailand. Where I live at Jomtien, the demographic is families and couples, at the night markets, at my condo, at the resturants. 

Talk to people who actually live here, and stop perpetuating the myth (from a village in issan).

Myth? Dude, there are 38,000 sex workers in Pattaya.

There is a huge difference just walking around a mall in Pattaya compared to Hua Hin.

And by "the obvious red light area" do you mean all of Beach Road South from Soi 1 past Walking Street, 2nd road back North to Soi 1, and every Soi that runs East and West, plus MK Metro, the dark side bars... sort of like all of North, Central and South and East Pattaya. And lets not forget Thai Friendly. And this is just the part for Farangs. 

It is a gigantic boom boom machine.   

8 hours ago, ezzra said:

Don't ' change ' it, regulate it, Pattaya is well known for it's liberal sex industry

and this is a good thing as long as you make sure it's safe and free from rouge and

criminal elements, banish those nasty and obnoxious lady boys from Pattaya

or bring them under control, keep drugs and underage from the sex scenes,

If you kill sex tourism I n Pattaya, you can kiss goodbye to half or more of your

From what Source is That Fact.....I guess you talking Bullshit.

8 hours ago, ezzra said:

Don't ' change ' it, regulate it, Pattaya is well known for it's liberal sex industry

and this is a good thing as long as you make sure it's safe and free from rouge and

criminal elements, banish those nasty and obnoxious lady boys from Pattaya

or bring them under control, keep drugs and underage from the sex scenes,

Are you saying more then half  tourist are sex tourist ? . 

Bs I find that very hard to believe, how do you know all of this .

"It is undeniable that stories like this have a detrimental effect on Pattaya," said Sinchai."

BUT IT IS TRUE!!! Enough of the 'image' lark already. Everyone knows what it is. Just roll with it. If you did manage to stifle the place and actually police the illegality of prostitution, you can kiss goodbye to billions of baht. 

14 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

The Thai government is trying to stamp out the sex industry because of the very incidents that are constantly reported in the news and almost always involving Western tourists. They will continue raiding bars and sex establishments looking for violations and will continue putting pressure on the owners to either close down or move out to another location. the government doesn't care about what happens to the employees. Most will return to Isaan or other provinces or find ways to go abroad or enter the internet business.

Pattaya is being groomed for the Chinese tourist and middle to upper class Thais- neither of which need the overt sex industry that is based upon the Western mind set.

You will see the end of Walking Street as it currently exists; more boutique restaurants and shopping areas such as the new Terminal 21. The Westerners will get the message and go elsewhere but the Government won't care because the money will still pour in.

In addition, Thailand has an expanding middle class who are able to spend money on domestic travel.

As I have mentioned time and time again the sex business in Thailand is a losing proposition. It is under siege and most of the foreigners involved are selling out or simply  closing.  The Junta does not like it and they will be around for a long time in one form or another.

Interesting theory so are you saying that the new terminal 21 mall will stamp out all the prostitution in Pattaya?

15 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

As you have mentioned time and time again : Now could you give some concrete examples besides a few bar raids in Pattaya that would support your statements.? 

Anyway I dont see . any action being taken.  Most of the   business investment in Pattaya, hotels, golf courses ,condos came in to Pattaya riding piggy back on the sex industry.

Of course the new mall will not eliminate prostitution. The new mall represents a conscious investment shift. You don't invest this kind of money based upon the current perception of Pattaya as attracting more sex tourists. Those Thais with investment money like this well know that the Junta is determined to change the face of Pattaya from the Western sex tourist to the type of tourist- both domestic and foreign- that wants to have a nice hotel; nice restaurants and great shopping.  The target audience is middle to upper class Thais and the hordes of Chinese that have not yet discovered Thailand and also other middle income Asians. None of these people need or want toe overt type of sex that currently exists.

Westerners do not have the buying power of these people and Westerners come for the sex and alcohol- all of which leads to bad press. Walking Street is a prime target because of the illegal encroachments on the water side and the blatant selling of sex. It will keep getting raided over and over again until it either moves or closes. If I was going to invest in a business in Pattaya- it surely would not be one that involves alcohol or the sex industry.

58 minutes ago, oobar said:

I first visited Pattaya more than thirty years ago, a time when it was obvious that  the city was founded on the vaginas of Isaan girls.  Subsequent economic development was  a result of their efforts to earn a living.  All who have benefited from Pattaya's largess should be grateful for those founding girls' sacrifice.   Rather than getting bent out of shape trying  to change Pattaya's image,  representatives of the Thai government should consider erecting a monument in proud recognition and gratitude.  A five-meter high bronze statue of a skimpily-clad Isaan go-go girl, at the foot of which people could place wreaths and incense sticks, would be fitting.

Oh god i nearly missed this

You are a star , a forward  thinker,  what a great idea 

good job  :post-4641-1156694083:

Ps   Should be one out side every major businesses in Pattaya. just as a reminder.

Archived