Pattaya's sex capital image: We can't change it overnight, says tourism chief, but change it we will!

rooster59

Easy peasey Khun Watanasartsathorn

Just supplant 28000 whores in another Thai resort and that can be the capital

What remains then of your moribund Pattaya you can sweep into the sea to percolate with the rest of the refuse ebbing and flowing there.

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

Of course the new mall will not eliminate prostitution. The new mall represents a conscious investment shift. You don't invest this kind of money based upon the current perception of Pattaya as attracting more sex tourists. Those Thais with investment money like this well know that the Junta is determined to change the face of Pattaya from the Western sex tourist to the type of tourist- both domestic and foreign- that wants to have a nice hotel; nice restaurants and great shopping.  The target audience is middle to upper class Thais and the hordes of Chinese that have not yet discovered Thailand and also other middle income Asians. None of these people need or want toe overt type of sex that currently exists.

Westerners do not have the buying power of these people and Westerners come for the sex and alcohol- all of which leads to bad press. Walking Street is a prime target because of the illegal encroachments on the water side and the blatant selling of sex. It will keep getting raided over and over again until it either moves or closes. If I was going to invest in a business in Pattaya- it surely would not be one that involves alcohol or the sex industry.

Sounds like a 100 year plan to me.

6 hours ago, ffaarraanngg said:

I took my daughter there the other year and we stayed away from the sleezier parts of town, was like going to anywhere else in Thailand and after frequenting the place on my own for almost 2 decades was surprised how normal it can be.

This is true but then this comes up.

Why bother going there if not for sex as there are so many other parts of thailand that are much nicer.

24 minutes ago, georgemandm said:

Looking is not a sex  tourist .

Agreed... sort of... but.... If they (tourists) are there to look at it (sex industry), then it's an "attraction".

remove it, and there's one less "attraction" to attract tourism to the area, which is counter productive.

Vegas was and always will be famous for gambling but over the years all sorts of different entertainments have been added.  You can have a good time in Vegas and never go near a slot machine.   Pattaya will likely always have the party town sex thing--nothing wrong with that-- but it will be a plus if more regular entertainments are added.  One positive is the new theater going up by Supalai Mare condo that will have an elaborate show based, I think, on Thai history.  The two big new water parks are pluses, as are the music festivals, sports events, and other family-oriented activities.  Pattaya really needs to work on its sidewalks, starting with main roads like Pattaya Second Road.  They are really bad for a city this size.

Of course the new mall will not eliminate prostitution. The new mall represents a conscious investment shift. You don't invest this kind of money based upon the current perception of Pattaya as attracting more sex tourists. Those Thais with investment money like this well know that the Junta is determined to change the face of Pattaya from the Western sex tourist to the type of tourist- both domestic and foreign- that wants to have a nice hotel; nice restaurants and great shopping.  The target audience is middle to upper class Thais and the hordes of Chinese that have not yet discovered Thailand and also other middle income Asians. None of these people need or want toe overt type of sex that currently exists.
Westerners do not have the buying power of these people and Westerners come for the sex and alcohol- all of which leads to bad press. Walking Street is a prime target because of the illegal encroachments on the water side and the blatant selling of sex. It will keep getting raided over and over again until it either moves or closes. If I was going to invest in a business in Pattaya- it surely would not be one that involves alcohol or the sex industry.

Even sex tourist like to go shopping and eat in aircon food courts

WOW, is it April 1st already?  Is this an April Fool's joke?  I'm wondering if perhaps khun Sinchai Watanasartsathorn might have possibly been sampling some 'yah bah' or 'wacky tobacky' recently.  Why would anyone in the Thai government want to change anything about $$$Pattaya$$$ and jeopardize the immense daily (hourly? minutely?) revenues from its $$$seedy$$$ side?  In fact, I don't think anyone does.  Obviously, after almost 3 years in power, PM Prayut Chan-o-cha, aka, Mr. Anti-corruption Crusader, apparently hasn't had, and doesn't have, Pattaya in his crosshairs, so nothing will change, except possibly to expand and promote Pattaya and its seedy side even more in the future.  We all agree that $$$Pattaya$$$ is the golden goose, and will always be nurtured and protected.  Certainly can't blame the Thais for that.

IMNSHO the real criminal element in Pattaya,  other than the Russian mafia, typically wear brown uniforms and prey on 'fuh-lang' drivers/motorbike pilots.  Thank God, and/or Buddha, they're not representative of their grossly underpaid peers proudly serving the rest of Thailand.

Yep, mark your calendars folks... February 30th is the day Pattaya will finally be squeaky clean. I promise!

Vegas was and always will be famous for gambling but over the years all sorts of different entertainments have been added.  You can have a good time in Vegas and never go near a slot machine.   Pattaya will likely always have the party town sex thing--nothing wrong with that-- but it will be a plus if more regular entertainments are added.  One positive is the new theater going up by Supalai Mare condo that will have an elaborate show based, I think, on Thai history.  The two big new water parks are pluses, as are the music festivals, sports events, and other family-oriented activities.  Pattaya really needs to work on its sidewalks, starting with main roads like Pattaya Second Road.  They are really bad for a city this size.

They need to do what they did in bangkok, smash the illegal footpath stalls into oblivion. Liberate the footpaths and then once and for all do a proper upgrade not just sand and brick tiles

It's amazing to me the numbers of people who think that Pattaya needs the sex industry to survive. If that were true why has there been so much growth in the 4-5 Start Hotel chains opening;  the opening of malls like Central Festival and Harbor and the new Terminal 21. Why are there now large Condo projects that sell for several millions of Baht and golf course where the greens fees for a round of golf are high?   Anyone who comes for the sex doesn't spend their money on these types of places. The mongers spend it on the beer and babes which is fine with me if that is what you want.They may rent out a low priced Condo; hotel or other accommodation but they certainly not staying at the Dusit or other similar places.

Then you have the boutique shops; brand name pubs and restaurants that have been built and are continuing to thrive. 

None of this growth has anything to do with the sex industry but everything to do with smart business owners who can see that changes in Pattaya and the changes to come.

The sex industry will never go away completely- most of it will relocate to areas less  visible; or towards Jomtien and a lot of it will go to the darkside. There will also be a lessening of people who want to go into the sex trade as the economy continues to grow; foreign investment comes in and Thais become more educated. You can see this already just by looking at who is involved in the trade. 

1 minute ago, Thaidream said:

It's amazing to me the numbers of people who think that Pattaya needs the sex industry to survive. If that were true why has there been so much growth in the 4-5 Start Hotel chains opening;  the opening of malls like Central Festival and Harbor and the new Terminal 21. Why are there now large Condo projects that sell for several millions of Baht and golf course where the greens fees for a round of golf are high?   Anyone who comes for the sex doesn't spend their money on these types of places. The mongers spend it on the beer and babes which is fine with me if that is what you want.They may rent out a low priced Condo; hotel or other accommodation but they certainly not staying at the Dusit or other similar places.

Then you have the boutique shops; brand name pubs and restaurants that have been built and are continuing to thrive. 

None of this growth has anything to do with the sex industry but everything to do with smart business owners who can see that changes in Pattaya and the changes to come.

The sex industry will never go away completely- most of it will relocate to areas less  visible; or towards Jomtien and a lot of it will go to the darkside. There will also be a lessening of people who want to go into the sex trade as the economy continues to grow; foreign investment comes in and Thais become more educated. You can see this already just by looking at who is involved in the trade. 

Its more becoming a place for ordinary  holiday makers then sex tourists slowly but surely.Jomtien beach every week another sports event such as beAch football volleyball windsurfing jetski tournaments..and the place its loaded with sports enthusiasts 

Its more becoming a place for ordinary  holiday makers then sex tourists slowly but surely.Jomtien beach every week another sports event such as beAch football volleyball windsurfing jetski tournaments..and the place its loaded with sports enthusiasts 

Loaded with sport enthusiasts who like to cuddle up to a beer bar girl after the game

9 hours ago, ezzra said:

Don't ' change ' it, regulate it, Pattaya is well known for it's liberal sex industry

and this is a good thing as long as you make sure it's safe and free from rouge and

criminal elements, banish those nasty and obnoxious lady boys from Pattaya

or bring them under control, keep drugs and underage from the sex scenes,

If you kill sex tourism I n Pattaya, you can kiss goodbye to half or more of your

tourists and that's a fact....

no its not a fact....................lol. many do go for culture and friendly smiles and fruit!

I see mostly there Russians and Chinese with their families..

That's why the beer bars are full of westerners. No reason why we can't enjoy the ladies and the events. In fact I attended the international soccer tournament on the sand over a week or so every night .. Fantastic and talented teams! Shame they can't do similar on beach road Pattaya

1 hour ago, Belzybob said:

I reckon he's underestimated the hooker ratio " one in five of the female population ". Just about all the women I know in Pattaya are hookers.

you surely live in the "correct" area of Pattaya !

Just now, AGareth2 said:

koh larn was great before the hordes started going

Yes 18 years ago, i used to take all the girls from a bar

i used to drink at and a few good lads out fishing.

we used to stop on the deserted beach on the left of the island

just a few old huts there and no people,   was great to stop off on way back

cook the fish we caught and drink the beer and Sang Tip we had with us

Happy Days. :smile:

Yes 18 years ago, i used to take all the girls from a bar
i used to drink at and a few good lads out fishing.
we used to stop on the deserted beach on the left of the island
just a few old huts there and no people,   was great to stop off on way back
cook the fish we caught and drink the beer and Sang Tip we had with us
Happy Days. [emoji2]

Those old huts replaced with a big resteraunt now.. The huts were crumbling away anyway. It's still relatively quite compared to the touristy side where the sound of a hundred reving boats, jet skis and Chinese shouting above it all will give you a headache

What people do on there own time is there business.  If a woman chooses to go into that profession that's her personal choice, I don't agree with it but that's still her personal choice.  

The thing that bothers me is the Human Traffickers and the young girls who are sold by their families or kidnapped and forced into that world that's what's gotta stop NOW.  

I've only been down to Pattaya once I drove along that road that runs parallel to the beach and it's a shame that there's so much human misery behind the scenes down there because it's really a beautiful area.  I remember seeing more foreigners down there than Thai people.  I think Rayong is probably the safest beach area down there unless of course you're looking for that kind of thing.  I always knew that Pattaya was always the big party area of Thailand but I didn't know till after my first visit to Thailand how much of a seedy place it gets after dark.  When I was there during the day on the road it just looks like any other beach community.  

58 minutes ago, malcoml said:

This is true but then this comes up.

Why bother going there if not for sex as there are so many other parts of thailand that are much nicer.

Because its close to BKK and doesnt involve another flight ... the Islands close to Pattaya are very nice and there are no brothels at all which isn't what you get in the other main tourist resorts Samui, Phuket etc... There are very good family hotels and reasonable prices.

There are more things to do for kids then at Hua Hin which also has ladies of immoral virtue everywhere.

Lots of tourists aren't there for the sex its mainly westerners who seem  like they're starting to get outnumbered.

And there aren't any of those irritating backpackers student types that go to Samui/ Koh Pagnan, though sadly a few have started to infiltrate Pattaya.

1 hour ago, mcfish said:

I think tourists like to look at hookers eg the Chinese on walking St

I think walking street tour is just an item on daily schedule  for Chinese groups.I don't even think these middle aged to older crowds are fascinated by anything they see.They maybe buy some cheap fruit in front of the Siam Bayshore hotel and only stop by the Muay Thai to watch a round of the fake kick boxing show and return to their hotels without even consuming a bottle of beer.I don't even see these groups in Central mall as their each move is calculated and planned by zero baht operators

1 minute ago, John F Gill said:

Also you absolutely would not want to live like these people do that work in the tourist industry.  Their living conditions are horrible and that's something else behind the scenes that people don't see.  

I have known a number of hookers in Pattaya over the years, and from time to time stayed in their rooms. The ones i knew were perfectly normal people. From poor families, often with young kids and working a normal restaurant/bar job just did not give them enough income to support family/kid at home, and ended up free lancing or working in bars. They tended to live in normal rooms, had lots of normal friends and certainly their living conditions were not horrible.

I think you are probably talking about a more sinister underworld sex market which 99% of sex pats in Pattaya do not see or want to be involved in. Most pick up girls working in bars/gogo's who are working their by choice.

Archived