Benefits of Marriage?

hdkane

Hello,

Are there any tangible benefits to Thais who marry a foreigner, but choose to remain and live in Thailand?  

I know that assets acquired after marriage are split 50-50.  Debts as well.  Anything else that would be good to know?

Thank you in advance for any positive information or anecdotes.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The benefits to a Thai or the foreigner?

If I look in my village there are many young girls who have a child and no partner, a few of them have left there Thai husband after domestic violence. But most were dumped when they became pregnant. Those girls all want a foreigner as the the benefits are obvious.

Benefits to the Thai partner -

Some pension schemes pay a widow's pension. Probably have to be married (or at least in a civil partnership) to qualify.

Easier to gain a long term visitor visa to the spouse's country (UK is 10-year max).

Face - I think that marriage has more status in the eyes of the Thai family/friends. Of course, the highest status husband is an Englishman.

First of all, the most important thing is preparing a prenup before getting married. To anyone. In the world. It's roughly 30,000 baht and will save you a lot of trouble. This also eliminates the possibility of having to split assets if your partner goes rogue.

As for the benefits, there are several, such as being able to have legitimate children, make the Thai family gain face, fulfilling the dream of every young Thai girl, and possibly pension stuff depending on the situation. Also makes things lots easier if you're looking at eventually gaining citizenship.

17 minutes ago, thai3 said:

They know they can get away with far more than if married to a Thai, some don't even cook, clean or you know what. Would not last two weeks with a Thai husband.

Correct.

It is true that Thai men seem to have higher standards when it comes to choosing a Thai girl. Most Thai girls who are "train wrecks" such as bargirls, single moms, ex-prostitutes, etc. know that no Thai men will marry them - but some foreign men will do. I'm married to a Thai and only had 3 criteria:

1) Virginity

2) Complete family with a mother and father who are happily married

3) University diploma

The fact that they "can cook" and "can clean" isn't absolutely required, but it sure adds up to the "perceived standard" of the girl. Note that I'm still in my 20's so older men might judge this with different criteria.

I'd also add that most Thai girls expect to live a better quality life (i.e. money) when they marry a foreigner. While being a foreigner doesn't always mean being richer, it is still seen as so by the Thais.

Benefits to the Thai partner -

Some pension schemes pay a widow's pension. Probably have to be married (or at least in a civil partnership) to qualify.

Easier to gain a long term visitor visa to the spouse's country (UK is 10-year max).

Face - I think that marriage has more status in the eyes of the Thai family/friends. Of course, the highest status husband is an Englishman.

And preferably from Yorkshire !!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Certainly not always a benefit to the falang. I was all set to tie the knot, been to the Aussie embassy and filled out all the paperwork only thing left was to go to the Amphur office and make it official. Then someone on this forum pointed out that I could actually lose some of my Aussie pension once Centrelink became aware that I was married. That was the end of that.

11 hours ago, SiamBeast said:

Correct.

It is true that Thai men seem to have higher standards when it comes to choosing a Thai girl. Most Thai girls who are "train wrecks" such as bargirls, single moms, ex-prostitutes, etc. know that no Thai men will marry them - but some foreign men will do. I'm married to a Thai and only had 3 criteria:

1) Virginity

3) University diploma

The fact that they "can cook" and "can clean" isn't absolutely required, but it sure adds up to the "perceived standard" of the girl. Note that I'm still in my 20's so older men might judge this with different criteria.

I'd also add that most Thai girls expect to live a better quality life (i.e. money) when they marry a foreigner. While being a foreigner doesn't always mean being richer, it is still seen as so by the Thais.

looks like your requirements are like shopping for a domestic appliance

Yes, if the foreigner does anything illegal and leaves for a short time, the woman or a family member will go to the Police and act as an informant with evidence to bar him from the country and she and her family will divide up his personal property and assets!

Then there are those rare cases where the foreigner simply disappears and the personal property and assets are divided up.

In my opinion, most everyone is a better dealer with the financial retreat and the priority now is financial security for the woman and her family. 

Most men/women will never understand that as they are in denial or under the spell of a narcissist manipulation and the illusion of love after they meet a bar person or with a single ad.  If you play in their playground, expect surprises.  Most everyone is looking for love in all the wrong places and they end up in quick sand.

Sadly, some will even commit suicide over the illusions and manipulations.

Correct.

1) Virginity

3) University diploma

How was her "virginity" confirmed, bloody sheets hung out on the balcony for all to see, a doctor's examination, her word, what? Who decided that her parents were happily married, you? As far as diplomas, most aren't worth the paper they're written on.

Edited by giddyup

14 hours ago, kannot said:

only  have  to  show  400k to  immigration if married, 800k for retirement visa.........

The OP said "Are there any tangible benefits to Thais who marry a foreigner, but choose to remain and live in Thailand?" 

Not are there any benefits to the foreigner.

Many reasons for a Thai to want to stay in Thailand after marrying a foreigner :-

Wants to remain close to her family and friends

Wants to remain close to her land

Doesn't want to live in a foreign country

Then of course there is the fact that probably a large percentage of foreign men who come here and get married do it so they can stay here, not so they can take their Thai bride back home.

Correct.

1) Virginity

3) University diploma

Are you a virgin too?   

I have very high standards (much higher than yours) but one thing I would never do is want to marry a virgin.    You need a girl who has been round the block a few times and knows how to really have fun in bed.  

Just now, seancbk said:

The OP said "Are there any tangible benefits to Thais who marry a foreigner, but choose to remain and live in Thailand?" 

Many reasons for a Thai to want to stay in Thailand after marrying a foreigner :-

Then of course there is the fact that probably a large percentage of foreign men who come here and get married do it so they can stay here, not so they can take their Thai bride back home.

Being married to a Thai doesn't give you any more perks than not, other than only having 400K in the bank instead of 800K. You still have to report every 90 days and you still have to get the appropriate visa.

18 hours ago, SiamBeast said:

.I'm married to a Thai and only had 3 criteria:

1) Virginity

3) University diploma

And how is one Certain that she is a virgin--oh learned one...??..........:coffee1:

19 minutes ago, giddyup said:
22 minutes ago, seancbk said:

Being married to a Thai doesn't give you any more perks than not, other than only having 400K in the bank instead of 800K. You still have to report every 90 days and you still have to get the appropriate visa.

Again, you are talking about benefits FOR THE FOREIGNER.   

The OP asked what benefits there are FOR THE THAI.

6 hours ago, oxo1947 said:

And how is one Certain that she is a virgin--oh learned one...??..........:coffee1:

When asking the Thai lady out he asks for medical proof and demands a physical examination and he being an expert at 20 something the Thai lady will (deleted) whoops except of course.

41 minutes ago, seancbk said:

Again, you are talking about benefits FOR THE FOREIGNER.   

The OP asked what benefits there are FOR THE THAI.

Did you say this? Then of course there is the fact that probably a large percentage of foreign men who come here and get married do it so they can stay here, not so they can take their Thai bride back home. I was responding that in fact there are very little in the way of benefits for the foreigner who marries a Thai and stays in Thailand.

Edited by giddyup

7 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Did you say this? Then of course there is the fact that probably a large percentage of foreign men who come here and get married do it so they can stay here, not so they can take their Thai bride back home.

Yes I did, but after I answered the OPs question, which was 'what are the benefits to the Thai person' 

That line you've quoted (out of context I might add) was just me adding another reason why a Thai marrying a foreigner would choose to stay living in Thailand, although from the Farang's point of view.

1 hour ago, seancbk said:

Yes I did, but after I answered the OPs question, which was 'what are the benefits to the Thai person' 

That line you've quoted (out of context I might add) was just me adding another reason why a Thai marrying a foreigner would choose to stay living in Thailand, although from the Farang's point of view.

Gobbledegook.

1 hour ago, giddyup said:

Yeah, and all the hassle that goes with it.

1 hour ago, giddyup said:

If working and married to a Thai the farang can jump straight to citizenship bypassing the need for PR first.

Or so I heard, could well be complete waffle.