Chiang Mai hospital denies they are using needles over and over to save money

webfact

Chiang Mai hospital denies they are using needles over and over to save money

3am.jpg

Picture: Sanook

CHIANG MAI: -- A leading private hospital in Chiang Mai has hit back at online allegations that they have been using needles more than once to inject sick people.

The claims raged online after a video - now deleted - showed that a patient was getting shots from the same needle that had already been used, reported Sanook.

Many people online said that it was scandalous that the hospital was risking the health of patients by trying to save money on needles.

What would happen if someone got infected through sharing needles, they demanded.

The drama has caused the Rachawet Chiang Mai Hospital considerable trouble said director Dr Weerachart Lertnitikun.

He said that the footage that emerged two or three days ago was all a big misunderstanding.

He said that the poster of the footage was the relative of a diabetic person. It was the diabetic's own personal needle that they had already used at home to inject insulin.

Guidelines state that needles for personal use in injecting insulin can be used up to three times.

Dr Weerachart said that it had nothing to do with the hospital being economical and trying to save money.

He stressed further that despite international regulations that hospitals could use needles up to five times for insulin jabs his hospital had a policy of one use only for injections of all kinds.

He added that the person who posted the clip did not understand all aspects of care for diabetics or might have had some other motive.

Source: Sanook

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-02-21

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

THose who extol the virtues of healthcare in Thailand should be aware that the level of ethics, monitoring and enforcement is nowhere near on a par with the avergae western hospital...... they just assume because it looks similar the practices are similar - corruption and erratic training are rife in Thailand and "mistakes" like this are not only usually undetectable but it is  also impossible to get proper redress. Rather than an inquiry all we get is a smoke screen of blandishments.

The fact that a doctor may have regarded this as an acceptible practice should be enough to  warn people about healthcare in Thailand.

Hmmm ... there could be some confusion if the patient is a diabetic ... I'm a diabetic and use an insulin pen to inject myself twice a day, I use the same needle until the insulin runs out, which can vary between 15 and 20 times pending the level of my sugar content over the week ... a new needle is replaced once the new insulin capsule is inserted into the pen ... fairly standard practice ... external 'normal' needles must be a different case I suspect ?

It was the diabetic's own personal needle that they had already used at home to inject insulin.
Guidelines state that needles for personal use in injecting insulin can be used up to three times.
 He stressed further that despite international regulations that hospitals could use needles up to five times for insulin jabs his hospital had a policy of one use only for injections of all kinds.

Ok, I (mis)understand... So, who's counting?

A very big question

I was censored by TV 2/3 WEEKS AGO, for posting about hospital malpractice being conscious of the defamation laws, and may I add having been censored, upset me greatly

When I posted I very carefully made no reference to the  actual hospital and named no doctor 

I was seeking general opinion on whether or not to pursue a malpractice claim through the courts, something worrying me greatly and on which I needed guidance and input, because of my added stress, I already have both Prostrate and Colorectal cancers,, knowing only too well the complications and difficulties of the legal system here

My article was headed if I remember correctly TO SUE OR NOT TO SUE FOR MEDICAL MALPRACTICE

It has been well proven that that consensus opinion amongst sensible people is generally better than a single opinion

SO  WHY HAS THIS ARTICLE BEEN ALLOWED AND MINE REMOVED

I look forward to comments

1 hour ago, al007 said:

A very big question

I was censored by TV 2/3 WEEKS AGO, for posting about hospital malpractice being conscious of the defamation laws, and may I add having been censored, upset me greatly

When I posted I very carefully made no reference to the  actual hospital and named no doctor 

I was seeking general opinion on whether or not to pursue a malpractice claim through the courts, something worrying me greatly and on which I needed guidance and input, because of my added stress, I already have both Prostrate and Colorectal cancers,, knowing only too well the complications and difficulties of the legal system here

My article was headed if I remember correctly TO SUE OR NOT TO SUE FOR MEDICAL MALPRACTICE

It has been well proven that that consensus opinion amongst sensible people is generally better than a single opinion

SO  WHY HAS THIS ARTICLE BEEN ALLOWED AND MINE REMOVED

I look forward to comments

This is not an accusation but a report on the hospitals response to an allegation, completely different.

2 hours ago, thailand49 said:

If this is being done, in a private or public the official should be removed and charge! There is no excuse for something like this. Certainly there is no place for any person or persons who thinks this is a good move in saving money.

Didn't you read the report. It isn't being done. 

Your odds of seeing a doctor who is actively trying to wreck your health, or who can't be bothered, or who is a full blown nutcase, or utterly incompetent are about 50/50. Throw in not being able to communicate in Thai let alone English, with 99% of them and anyone would be advised to seek medical help elsewhere such as Malaysia, Taiwan, or Singapore.

2 hours ago, British Bulldog said:

Hmmm ... there could be some confusion if the patient is a diabetic ... I'm a diabetic and use an insulin pen to inject myself twice a day, I use the same needle until the insulin runs out, which can vary between 15 and 20 times pending the level of my sugar content over the week ... a new needle is replaced once the new insulin capsule is inserted into the pen ... fairly standard practice ... external 'normal' needles must be a different case I suspect ?

I have seen diabetics in the US use the same needle (their own) or lancet two or three times (after wiping with alcohol).

I think the hospital may not have done anything wrong here just as they claim.

Amazing how people can jump on others without knowing the facts.

I don't think the accusation is correct .I have had many many blood tests in Chaing Mai at both private and government hospitals and they use the disposable needles.When you go for a blood test they break the needle with the built in mechanism and discard in a special  box for disposal .

Dont often reply to forum,  however;  this story hit a personal chord.

Have been going to Rajavej for 14 years and the Dr quoted is my personnal doctor.

Dr Will  (nickname) , is one of the most reputablle doctors I have met. The reason he gave his name ( which is unusual) I beieve is that he wants to defend his facility publically and personally as he is the new director

I would recommend Rajavej highly, and  assure you Dr Will can be taken at his word.

28 minutes ago, TravelerEastWest said:

I have seen diabetics in the US use the same needle (their own) or lancet two or three times (after wiping with alcohol).

I think the hospital may not have done anything wrong here just as they claim.

Amazing how people can jump on others without knowing the facts.

I agree, "False news" ..............

26 minutes ago, unclesteve18 said:

Dont often reply to forum,  however;  this story hit a personal chord.

Have been going to Rajavej for 14 years and the Dr quoted is my personnal doctor.

Dr Will  (nickname) , is one of the most reputablle doctors I have met. The reason he gave his name ( which is unusual) I beieve is that he wants to defend his facility publically and personally as he is the new director

I would recommend Rajavej highly, and  assure you Dr Will can be taken at his word.

I too have used the Rajavej Hospital on several occasions and, unlike the Ram, I have always received sound treatment there.

Quote  "Guidelines state that needles for personal use in injecting insulin can be used up to three times"

This is sick A needle should be used once for whatever reason and discarded 

I have never heard of this before

The hospital should be sanctioned by the authorities This is not a misunderstanding This is crazy

Archived