Chiang Mai hospital denies they are using needles over and over to save money

webfact

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 22/02/2017 at 2:27 AM, thequietman said:

He stressed further that despite international regulations that hospitals could use needles up to five times for insulin jabs his hospital had a policy of one use only for injections of all kinds.

Then he goes on to say that the needle belonged to the patient who had used it before. They then used it again. So......... what happened to the 'one use only' policy? Clearly this is at least the second use of the needle. 

Maybe the patiant (pt) used a needle tip that the hospital didnt stock, maybe the pt used a weird pen that is not standard so required different equipment, or maybe the pt didnt want to pay for a new needle and insisted that he just used his own personal needles.

travelereastwest

I think the hospital may not have done anything wrong here just as they claim.

unclesteve18

I would recommend Rajavej highly, and  assure you Dr Will can be taken at his word.

He said that the poster of the footage was the relative of a diabetic person. It was the diabetic's own personal needle that they had already used at home to inject insulin.

He stressed further that despite international regulations that hospitals could use needles up to five times for insulin jabs his hospital had a policy of one use only for injections of all kinds.

• 5 months later...
  • 11 months later...
On 2/20/2017 at 10:22 PM, hansnl said:

It is not really that long ago injection material was used several times.

Of course things were cleaned and sterilised, but even so, needles were used until getting too blunt.

that's what that sharpening stone on the trolley  is for

On 2/26/2017 at 3:58 AM, assayer said:

travelereastwest

I think the hospital may not have done anything wrong here just as they claim.

unclesteve18

I would recommend Rajavej highly, and  assure you Dr Will can be taken at his word.

He said that the poster of the footage was the relative of a diabetic person. It was the diabetic's own personal needle that they had already used at home to inject insulin.

I agree.  They have been the healthcare provider for my family for eight years, saved the life of my young son and treated all of us with care and efficiency at one time or another.

Given that the hospital came up with a plausible explanation for the original allegation and the damage such publicity can cause regardless, I think there is a case for moderators to keep an eye on threads like this one which appears to have been only resurrected by a bored poster with a questionable sense of humour.*  Maybe such topics should be closed or archived when they appear to have run their course - they can always be referred to with a link if relevant, can't they?

* Surangw: No offence meant but it really wasn't funny enough to make it worth reviving this, was it?

On ‎2‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 6:09 AM, Pattaya28 said:

The word "misunderstanding" returns. :cheesy:

Popular usage in Thailand.

A "Misunderstanding".

I think the hospital was "rumbled".

More likely that you just couldn't understand what was said in the article.

On ‎2‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 8:32 AM, Alan Deer said:

THose who extol the virtues of healthcare in Thailand should be aware that the level of ethics, monitoring and enforcement is nowhere near on a par with the avergae western hospital...... they just assume because it looks similar the practices are similar - corruption and erratic training are rife in Thailand and "mistakes" like this are not only usually undetectable but it is  also impossible to get proper redress. Rather than an inquiry all we get is a smoke screen of blandishments.

The fact that a doctor may have regarded this as an acceptible practice should be enough to  warn people about healthcare in Thailand.

What a load of garbage.

"The fact that a doctor may have regarded this as an acceptible practice should be enough to  warn people about healthcare in Thailand".

The fact that you clearly don't understand what was said in the article should be enough to warn people about the content of your posts.

On ‎2‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 9:13 AM, al007 said:

A very big question

I was censored by TV 2/3 WEEKS AGO, for posting about hospital malpractice being conscious of the defamation laws, and may I add having been censored, upset me greatly

When I posted I very carefully made no reference to the  actual hospital and named no doctor 

I was seeking general opinion on whether or not to pursue a malpractice claim through the courts, something worrying me greatly and on which I needed guidance and input, because of my added stress, I already have both Prostrate and Colorectal cancers,, knowing only too well the complications and difficulties of the legal system here

My article was headed if I remember correctly TO SUE OR NOT TO SUE FOR MEDICAL MALPRACTICE

It has been well proven that that consensus opinion amongst sensible people is generally better than a single opinion

SO  WHY HAS THIS ARTICLE BEEN ALLOWED AND MINE REMOVED

I look forward to comments

You can look forward to this being removed and a warning for discussing moderation also now because that isn't allowed either!

Police must step in at the highest level, see how many injections were made to patients, how many needles purchased during and before the time span, how many needles left currently in the inventory........if this is true, it is almot a crime against humanity  !!.......but why should it be true ?...correct !!...why after all ??...but knowing how greed dominates at every level in Thailand, assorted with corruption and dishonest practice.....when it comes to money, anybody, who is greedy or corrupt at any level,  is capable of anything bad or despicable !

I have no experience of this hosp in particular, but I know how ridiculously cheap needles are (less than half a baht each) so if they wanted to cut costs, reused needles would be almost the worst way to do it... 

In bkk, I can verify priv  hospitals  don't do this but I won't name names of the best and the worst since its against TV policy and the law

Archived