whats the dif between ceramic and crystal glass coat

ghworker2010

The FIL just purchased a new Honda. I offered to pay for crystal glass coat knowing that it was around 10k. He then said something about ceramic and I said ok. Its 30k price tag. 

Why is it so expensive? Whats the dif between the 2 options?

Im ok to pay it as he is a good man and yrs ago gave back the large sinsot to the wife and I. I would still like to know the info on both options if your knowledgeable in this regard. 

thanks

Crystal and Ceramic coating is all in the branding and naming of the product. Both have very little to do with crystal or ceramic literally.

The meaning each shops gives to them is different and depends from owner to owner, but let me give you the standard explanation which is commonly accepted.

1. Crystal Coating

- Developed before ceramic coating. In Japan around 2008...

- Offers 7H scratch protection. This test is quite subjective, but in the test they will drop a 7H Pencil on the car coating at x Newton strength and in that case there will be no scratch or damage to the coating.

Subjective because the x amount of Newton strength is generally not specified.

- Offers better shine than ceramic coating

- Usually up to 1 year of hydrophobic effect

- Usually 1 year of warranty on the coating

2. Ceramic Coating

- Developed around 2012, 2013 in Japan by Threebond Chemicals.

- Offers 9H scratch protection. 

- Less shine than crystal coating

- Usually 3 years or more warranty on the coating

30,000 THB for a franchise shop (Ceramic Pro, Seeker, Kubebond, Gyeon, etc) is quite a normal price. The cost of chemicals is only around 2,000 THB per car.

However, they also need to polish and prepare the car for the job. In addition, the staffing cost, the franchise cost, the rental price of the shop, etc.

A few things to watch out for:

- Ask the brand of chemicals which he is using: in case of Seeker chemicals, they use a lot of wax in their ceramic coating. Gives you an amazing result, but also shortens the life of the coating.

I seriously recommend Ceramic Pro - Gyeon - Kubebond or Nanonix.

- Ask the warranty he provides on the coating. 

- How often you have to go in for maintenance?

- In case of an accident does he offer free recoating for the replaced panels?

- Does his service include: coating of car body, wheels, tires, interior, engine bay, wheel wells, undercarriage? 

- What's the thickness of his coating? Many shops offer 50 micron. Unless they can prove that with a micron meter, then you shouldn't believe it.

Normally a coating (2 layer) is around 15 to 20 micron maximum. The more layers you put on the less shiny the car will be.

Finally, you can wait another year or so as they are going to launch titanium coating. Seems to have 12H strength, but will have to see for myself first.

That's it :)

On 2/21/2017 at 11:32 AM, NUUM said:

How much protection do they offer against the inevitable door dents here...?

Almost nothing. Offers some protection against scratches from accidents, but crystal or ceramic coating is especially to prevent swirls, tar, bugs, etc.

On 2/22/2017 at 7:02 PM, JoeW said:

Crystal and Ceramic coating is all in the branding and naming of the product. Both have very little to do with crystal or ceramic literally.

The meaning each shops gives to them is different and depends from owner to owner, but let me give you the standard explanation which is commonly accepted.

1. Crystal Coating

- Developed before ceramic coating. In Japan around 2008...

- Offers 7H scratch protection. This test is quite subjective, but in the test they will drop a 7H Pencil on the car coating at x Newton strength and in that case there will be no scratch or damage to the coating.

Subjective because the x amount of Newton strength is generally not specified.

- Offers better shine than ceramic coating

- Usually 1 year of warranty on the coating

2. Ceramic Coating

- Developed around 2012, 2013 in Japan by Threebond Chemicals.

- Offers 9H scratch protection. 

- Less shine than crystal coating

- Usually 3 years or more warranty on the coating

30,000 THB for a franchise shop (Ceramic Pro, Seeker, Kubebond, Gyeon, etc) is quite a normal price. The cost of chemicals is only around 2,000 THB per car.

However, they also need to polish and prepare the car for the job. In addition, the staffing cost, the franchise cost, the rental price of the shop, etc.

A few things to watch out for:

- Ask the brand of chemicals which he is using: in case of Seeker chemicals, they use a lot of wax in their ceramic coating. Gives you an amazing result, but also shortens the life of the coating.

I seriously recommend Ceramic Pro - Gyeon - Kubebond or Nanonix.

- Ask the warranty he provides on the coating. 

- How often you have to go in for maintenance?

- In case of an accident does he offer free recoating for the replaced panels?

- Does his service include: coating of car body, wheels, tires, interior, engine bay, wheel wells, undercarriage? 

- What's the thickness of his coating? Many shops offer 50 micron. Unless they can prove that with a micron meter, then you shouldn't believe it.

Normally a coating (2 layer) is around 15 to 20 micron maximum. The more layers you put on the less shiny the car will be.

Finally, you can wait another year or so as they are going to launch titanium coating. Seems to have 12H strength, but will have to see for myself first.

That's it :)

Thank you ! Never read such clear and good explanation !

• 1 year later...

Archived