Thaivisa exclusive: Liverpool man wants Pattaya bargirl jailed but doesn’t blame the resort – “7/11 claim” was just nonsense

webfact

2 hours ago, webfact said:

David continued: “The Sun and the Mirror in the UK called me a Cheap Charlie and said I was an idiot based on the 7/11 comments that the girl made. She just made that up to try and save herself

All smart people who don't give up their money easily to crooks, called by stupids "Cheep Charlie's". 

Take it easy man. Many people understand you perfectly. 

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply
48 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

According to the interview they gave, they did pay the bill for the drinks they had consumed, even though they felt it was excessive.

Not from this interview they didn't. This interview says the had decided to pay a bit over 600 baht and then another beer charge was added to the bill at which point they declined to pay; a guy grabbed David from behind, the bar girl went ballistic. I still sounds to me like he/they didn't pay their bill.

This is his story; now I want to hear the bartenders side of it.

20 minutes ago, smedly said:

as I posted on another thread and I will repeat it here

I don't believe this story, yes he may have made a comparison to prices in 7/11 but the interpretation is wrong.

The real problem is that all these bars refuse to display prices and basically make it up as they go, all bars should be forced to clearly display their price list so that ALL customers know exactly what they are going to be paying for a drink, there is a serious problem when a bar tries to hide the price of their drinks and many of them do, I always either ask before I order (which is mostly met with distain) or if I don't see a price list I might just walk away, a customer shouldn't have to ask the price of something they are about to buy, within an area of 100m prices can vary by as much as 50baht per drink, my guess is they came from a bar close by and assumed that all the bars in the vicinity would be roughly the same price range, a lot of these bars look at the customer and make up the price as they go, and I will add - anyone that thinks 350baht is ok for a Gin and Tonic needs their head looked at - and lets not forget that the police have seen the bill so they are not telling lies, add to that a couple of cokes and they were looking at 600baht + check bin.....seriously !!

They had every right to question the bill

You know where you are.No price list,just ask,how hard is that,and pay as you go.

41 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

Drink pricelist clearly at the wall.mandatory video observation cams in bar area.A mandatory temporary closure of a bar in any case of violence.Hefty fines and a police that really investigate the matter.This will reduce the violence if other bars see that there are serious  repercussions.By letting it go things only gonna be worse.

Great in the real world, but none of the above is Thailand unfortunately. The mouthy cow (who wouldn't do a thing off her turf/without backup) will not do any time, pay any fine, or offer any sort of apology. She (it) is your typical mouthbreather that gets drawn in by the place.

24 minutes ago, smedly said:

as I posted on another thread and I will repeat it here

I don't believe this story, yes he may have made a comparison to prices in 7/11 but the interpretation is wrong.

The real problem is that all these bars refuse to display prices and basically make it up as they go, all bars should be forced to clearly display their price list so that ALL customers know exactly what they are going to be paying for a drink, there is a serious problem when a bar tries to hide the price of their drinks and many of them do, I always either ask before I order (which is mostly met with distain) or if I don't see a price list I might just walk away, a customer shouldn't have to ask the price of something they are about to buy, within an area of 100m prices can vary by as much as 50baht per drink, my guess is they came from a bar close by and assumed that all the bars in the vicinity would be roughly the same price range, a lot of these bars look at the customer and make up the price as they go, and I will add - anyone that thinks 350baht is ok for a Gin and Tonic needs their head looked at - and lets not forget that the police have seen the bill so they are not telling lies, add to that a couple of cokes and they were looking at 600baht + check bin.....seriously !!

They had every right to question the bill

I never read anywhere that the bar had no price list.  Assuming bars within 100m of each other charge the same price is insane. Places that are high end and nice do charge 300/350 for a vodka and tonic , not really rare.  The part I really don't get from above post is that you seem to go to many places with no price list easy to get.  What kind of places are these?  I would not be able to order something without a drink menu to choose from. 

2 hours ago, webfact said:

But the cops who said they would call back to let them know how the case was progressing had yet to get in touch

These would be the same cops who advised bar owners to let them deal with drunken tourists, would it? No wonder they haven't been back in touch.

I've experienced bill padding here, though the end result of that long ago encounter was the bar staff walking out, hence the bar needing to close for the night - and the next night. And I am also well aware of how the Thai media manages to distort the facts - or ignore them altogether.

1 hour ago, rkidlad said:

I said from the beginning that I could believe either story. In fact, it was more believable that the bill was padded. As I read more about the guy and how long he's lived here, it made more sense. Unless you've lived under a rock and this is your first rodeo in Thailand, you know that bars are more expensive than 7/11. The woman who assaulted him was never gonna say something that gave him even a fraction of questionable doubt. 

Sad things is some people were saying that her behaviour was justifiable when they heard the 7/11 comment. There is never an excuse for violence. Like the police said - if there's ever a problem with tourists then call them. Thailand has laws like other countries. Excusing this kind of behaviour is actually just enabling those who do it. It's also like saying that Thailand is inferior to where you come from. Like they don't know any better. 

When I read the first story, I am curious why the bar lady did not report to the police when the English guy refused to pay but instead using forces.

5 minutes ago, JSixpack said:

Our "Thai police always against farang" brigade is notably silent in view of David Lodge's praise for them.

I think Mary could have taken off her shoe though and gave back, shoe vs shoe.

Is she still in jail? Is her bar still closed?has she been given a sentence yet?what exactly has been done by the police?

3 minutes ago, alex8912 said:

I never read anywhere that the bar had no price list.  Assuming bars within 100m of each other charge the same price is insane. Places that are high end and nice do charge 300/350 for a vodka and tonic , not really rare.  The part I really don't get from above post is that you seem to go to many places with no price list easy to get.  What kind of places are these?  I would not be able to order something without a drink menu to choose from. 

The existence of a price list doesn't stop the bars in question from padding the bill, if they think they can get away with it. And, of course, they can rely on the protection for which they are usually paying ... the RTP kind.

Boiling it down & putting it in a nutshell they got "over charged" for 2 lady drinks (coke) & a beer  for the "lady"

in white, which they "did not order" or did they?

On the world nightclub stage these prices are very reasonable.   At this time of the morning a smart person

would have just paid.  Methinks the stories are so far apart it is hard to tell the wheat from the chaff

2 minutes ago, natway09 said:

Boiling it down & putting it in a nutshell they got "over charged" for 2 lady drinks (coke) & a beer  for the "lady"

On the world nightclub stage these prices are very reasonable.   At this time of the morning a smart person

would have just paid.  Methinks the stories are so far apart it is hard to tell the wheat from the chaff

A Pattaya bar is a world apart from any world nightclub.

21 minutes ago, IAMHERE said:

Not from this interview they didn't. This interview says the had decided to pay a bit over 600 baht and then another beer charge was added to the bill at which point they declined to pay; a guy grabbed David from behind, the bar girl went ballistic. I still sounds to me like he/they didn't pay their bill.

if you read posts from Maryel on the previous thread, she clearly states she paid the bill in full. she is the woman from the story

5 minutes ago, natway09 said:

I'm not sure how you came up with the above.

In a nutshell: they had one drink each and decided to leave because they thought it expensive. They PAID their bill and were about to leave when the bar staff brought another bill which was not theirs and they rightly refused to pay while mentioning that their original bill was also very high. 

2 hours ago, paulinbkk111 said:

meh, he said/ she said. Dont run a tab at a dodgy bar.

All over a supposed overcharge. This article reads like someone trying to squirm their way out of a problem.

600 baht for 4 drinks is high, but not 'this bar is absolutely scamming me' high.

Bad as each other

Did you read about the extra 90 baht beer tab that was added to the 600? A beer they didn't have.

1 hour ago, rkidlad said:

I said from the beginning that I could believe either story. In fact, it was more believable that the bill was padded. As I read more about the guy and how long he's lived here, it made more sense. Unless you've lived under a rock and this is your first rodeo in Thailand, you know that bars are more expensive than 7/11. The woman who assaulted him was never gonna say something that gave him even a fraction of questionable doubt. 

Sad things is some people were saying that her behaviour was justifiable when they heard the 7/11 comment. There is never an excuse for violence. Like the police said - if there's ever a problem with tourists then call them. Thailand has laws like other countries. Excusing this kind of behaviour is actually just enabling those who do it. It's also like saying that Thailand is inferior to where you come from. Like they don't know any better. 

'Like the police said - if there's ever a problem with tourists then call them.' Not quite. The phrase apparently used was 'drunk tourists', I believe.

If the injured party is serious at retribution he needs to involve the British Embassy with a report. From personal experience that is the only way the local Police will suddenly be elevated from their <deleted> and do something. Believe me they suddenly act

Video or not they will just sit and exchange bullshit with one another without it

2 hours ago, paulinbkk111 said:

meh, he said/ she said. Dont run a tab at a dodgy bar.

All over a supposed overcharge. This article reads like someone trying to squirm their way out of a problem.

600 baht for 4 drinks is high, but not 'this bar is absolutely scamming me' high.

Bad as each other

Re read re read re read..... they paid the 600 baht... no issue.

the objection started when issued with another bill for drinks not ordered..... which was deemed over the top, after the originally high bill.

really? Who wouldn't object?

1 minute ago, Canceraid said:

I normally stay away from Pattaya, and also from people who stay in Pattaya or visit Pattaya.

Dont be ridiculous......what do you do ???   Extensively interview people before talking to anyone !

2 hours ago, champers said:

No mention here of an apology from Thai Visa whose original headline on the main thread was certainly pointing towards the "cheap charlie" theory.

You have to remember, this is the story they tell now. Is it true? To argue over a B600 bill for four drinks is pretty bad, especially if the one drink was B350; then they claim another B90 for a beer. It simply does not compute.

And, from the video I saw, no Thai man was holding him; the bar maid was kicking his butt

All Thais that I know whether drinking in a bar or restaurant never pay the bill until they scrutinize it and agree that what they ordered was on the bill not something else. It was perfectly reasonable for the couple to indicate the added 90B charge was not theirs.  It was totally unreasonable for them o be attacked in the way they were. The only way this will stop is when the police charge the perps; fine them; close the bar and possibly jail them. I  always ask the price of a drink before I order and I always check the bill before I pay. If there is any negative reaction when I ask the price- I leave...without comment.

12 minutes ago, IAMHERE said:

While admittedly, "had decided to pay" could mean they hadn't yet done so, it could be that they meant to say they decided to pay and then in fact did go ahead to do so, especially when taken together with the fact that the wife has apparently stated several times in posts on this forum that they did pay the bill for the drinks they'd had. Neither in this interview nor in any of the comments have they said they declined to pay the extra amount outright, they just said they queried it and suggested they should let the tourist police sort it out.

So to me, it seems clear that according to their version of events, they did pay the bill - or at least the only one that they believed was legitimately theirs.

As for the bartender's version, that was covered fairly extensively in the original report of the incident. In addition, parts of her version can be heard quite clearly in the video.

Archived