Thaivisa exclusive: Liverpool man wants Pattaya bargirl jailed but doesn’t blame the resort – “7/11 claim” was just nonsense

webfact

43 minutes ago, alex8912 said:

I never read anywhere that the bar had no price list.  Assuming bars within 100m of each other charge the same price is insane. Places that are high end and nice do charge 300/350 for a vodka and tonic , not really rare.  The part I really don't get from above post is that you seem to go to many places with no price list easy to get.  What kind of places are these?  I would not be able to order something without a drink menu to choose from. 

In the video of the owner talking to the police at the bar she is showing them the price list.

I have never yet been refused sight of a price list if the price of the drink that I want is not displayed.

I'm sure the bar owner would have behaved differently had she known that her customers were significant members of the expat community in HH, deserving of the sort of respect to which they have become accustomed there, and not what they apparently appeared to be.........just another bunch of pissed up, scouse tourists.

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, pi2005ni said:

They know everything about Thailand and are very streetwise , obviously not or they would have queried the bill from the start . When you troll round these areas you need to be aware , which they weren't. They didn't deserve to be assaulted but maybe they will be a bit more polite next time they encounter a problem with their bill . Sometimes it's just better to pay and never frequent that bar again . Saves on the hospital bills . 

It seems they did query it pretty quick...

600 seems to be for a round.

2 hours ago, PT Paul said:

Poor reporting orginally, quick to blame the foreigner.

The sad bit is that some of these places and Bar Girls and the local Somchai think they are a law unto themselves, and love to try and pad bills. When confronted they go batshit. Glad that he didn't have any worse injuries, still doubt The BIB will do anything about it though.

While what you say about some bars and bar girls padding the bill is true, I have also seen many drunken farangs complain about a rightful bill and refuse to pay.

I know from the start not to believe the bad lady from the bar , but like always TVF members get on they high  Horse and run people down with out the hole truth.

why not get on here those people and  apologize , to those people, but you see the big mouth ones you know who you are  , don't have the balls to say I was wrong.

19 minutes ago, farcanell said:

Re read re read re read..... they paid the 600 baht... no issue.

the objection started when issued with another bill for drinks not ordered..... which was deemed over the top, after the originally high bill.

really? Who wouldn't object?

You forgot to mention the B350 Gin and Tonic, which leaves 250 for three, what, beers--or was it a fourth beer that someone ordered and forgot. Just seems funny this was not the story told the night it happened

1 minute ago, smotherb said:

You forgot to mention the B350 Gin and Tonic, which leaves 250 for three, what, beers--or was it a fourth beer that someone ordered and forgot. Just seems funny this was not the story told the night it happened

Was it the story told. 

I didn't hear what he was saying to the police, did you?

They seemed quick to help him..

1 minute ago, malcoml said:

Was it the story told. 

I didn't hear what he was saying to the police, did you?

They seemed quick to help him..

So, are you suggesting he made a sober decision to take the beating instead of paying a B90 extra beer?

5 minutes ago, smotherb said:

So, are you suggesting he made a sober decision to take the beating instead of paying a B90 extra beer?

No I'm suggesting on the night of the incident he explained clearly to the police what had happened with the bill and hence this was the reason the bar girl had the menu out explaining it to the police.

It obviously wasn't a very believable story and hence she spent the night in jail.

1 hour ago, ddavidovsky said:

Interesting that it was mention of the police that caused her to go ballistic. In any case, no need for him to have escalated the argument to that level over an amount that equates to what many people would leave as a tip.

I find your post incomprehensible, he paid the first bill which he thought to high, and is then presented with a second bill. She escalated the situation by attacking him!!! How many times had she pulled this trick in the past. Are you seriously suggesting tourist's should pay any bill presented to them without question.????

1 minute ago, johna said:

I find your post incomprehensible, he paid the first bill which he thought to high, and is then presented with a second bill. She escalated the situation by attacking him!!! How many times had she pulled this trick in the past. Are you seriously suggesting tourist's should pay any bill presented to them without question.????

The 350 baht Gin and tonic would have been enough for me to stand my ground.

21 minutes ago, georgemandm said:

I know from the start not to believe the bad lady from the bar , but like always TVF members get on they high  Horse and run people down with out the hole truth.

why not get on here those people and  apologize , to those people, but you see the big mouth ones you know who you are  , don't have the balls to say I was wrong.

I have the balls to say you were wrong george.

Just now, malcoml said:

No I'm suggesting on the night of the incident he explained clearly to the police what had happened with the bill and hence this was the reason the bar girl had the menu out explaining it to the police.

It obviously wasn't a very believable story and hence she spent the night in jail.

Certainly, I would think he told police he was overcharged and beaten up,

The barmaid may have spent the night in jail for assault or even hurting the image of Thai tourism, if she spent the night in jail at all.

And, you think it is somehow suspicious she was using the menu to explain a charge; certainly is not suspicious to me.

Look friend, neither of us know what really happened.

I have seen barmaids try to overcharge and I have seen farangs trying to deny a legitimate bill.

I am simply saying his story does not equate for me.

Certainly it is not a stretch to think his afterthought story may paint his actions in a better light; especially since he was made a fool by getting branded a cheapskate, being whipped by a barmaid and the story shown back in old blighty.

3 hours ago, paulinbkk111 said:

meh, he said/ she said. Dont run a tab at a dodgy bar.

All over a supposed overcharge. This article reads like someone trying to squirm their way out of a problem.

600 baht for 4 drinks is high, but not 'this bar is absolutely scamming me' high.

Bad as each other

Paulinbkk, so when they decided to pay up and move on, that's OK is it? You're happy with that so far? When they were asked to pay for a beer which was not theirs and mentioned the police, she went mad. Is this bit not OK or should they have stayed a bit longer?  Who was actually trying to squirm out of what problem? The fact they were over charged? Charged for something they didn't have? Be assaulted when the BIB are mentioned? Such a stupid statement

6 minutes ago, irwinfc said:

the couple wasn't willing to pay for the beer they didn't order. anyone willing to pay for such is outright dumb.

You do not know whether they ordered the extra beer or not; neither do I. So to base your argument on something you plainly do not know seems rather naive.

at the end of the day, I generally keep an eye on any tab, if its less than 1,000 baht, why argue, just vote with your feet,

pay the extortionate price and never go back there, tell all your friends not to go there, 

come to thai visa, twitter and other forums and let other folks know they tried to take the piss, 

sure they think they've won in the short term, but you balance that out with places that treat you fairly, make sure you tell people where the good places are, and where you get treated right and all of a sudden the universe has a way of making things ok...

Maybe I'm a bit lax, but I'm not keen to screw up my night over $10 difference on a bill...

2 hours ago, timewilltell said:

The 7/11 story should not be dismissed so lightly. This is typical Thai behaviour - dream up a story to support the failure of your own actions, lie, abuse and generally denigrate when the Thai is the wrongdoer. It is the typical lack of personal responsibility and lying nature of such people who are committing a criminal activity in providing false evidence to the police. I have heard so many lies in Thai courts but the worst is there is no attempt to call for the truth or punish what is obviously a story (often dreamed up by corrupt lawyers) to dismiss criminality. Sick.

On the other hand, seems to me it's possible the 'why drink here, I can buy my beer cheaper at 7/11' is his main hobbyhorse in life and he says it often.

Maybe he doesn't normally drink in bars at all, because of his hobbyhorse.

Who knows for sure? Nobody!

Its all great and nice that this chap is a cartoonist and 9/11 jokester but the bar girl I am sure after long hours on duty failed to share his humor. Something snapped. Next time I would advise you not to try out your sense of humor on a over worked bar girl. Some say she was the owner but I stand by my statement. Bar life is a tough go here. If there was indeed overcharging and not just a bleary eyed checking of the bill that should be looked into. 

All publicity is sadly good publicity and no doubt the takings in the Bar have gone up since the incident as people view the gorgeous creature involved in the beating up...!

Cant say I have any idea where this place is in Soi 8 either to be honest

47 minutes ago, smotherb said:

I didn't forget anything.... and the origional story came from the mouth of the woman being charged with a crime... it was her story

her story was refuted on that thread, by the woman in white ( meryl here) and myfriendu.... and countless others simply refused to believe the bar girls story, or condone her actions

so you have the choice of believing first hand stories by two of the victims, plus a forum poster, who witnessed the assault... or the story of the bargirl who savagely assaulted a 64 year old bloke... like I say... your choice, ive made mine

But, for you to consider....the article says they decided to pay their bill, which appeared excessive.... and it is ( but not worth arguing about)

the article says that they were then then presented with another bill, which was fake... totally fake... Bigly fake... which is when the fracas started (assumedly... only assumedly, this was presented after paying the origional bill)

anyway... to appease you... 350 for a G and T (99 baht at my local) 

3 X 100 baht for a beer (70 baht at my local)

grand total 650 baht (309 baht at my local)

lets review the OP.... "a little over 600 baht".... job done... bill accepted... gouged... but you get that and it was accepted.

then came a subsequent bill, which was disputed , as is the clients right, but which resulted in the attack, for which the bargirl is being prosecuted.

seems, like me, the police believe the victims.

1 hour ago, smotherb said:

You gotta be trolling, right?

from the OP.... when my wife suggested involving the tourist police, I was grabbed from behind and assaulted by the barbatcrazybitch.... (not a direct quote)

he didnt make a decision to be assaulted... he just was assaulted, and the assaulter is being charged for assault

mary and partner, I sincerely hope the aftermath of this incident, physically, emotionally and on your "extended" family, passes quickly... you are standing head and shoulders above the crassness of a lot of nasty, vitriolic and hateful posters, and I commend you for that... well done, and thanks for coming forward.

I'm lost here,.600 baht is not particularly high for 4 drinks.Thats only 150 a drink.If the drinks were high end Vodka's,or scotches and they charged extra for the mixer,thats not too bad, in some bars.Didnt she say she was charged 350 for a Vodka and tonic?

This story changes with the wind.

Wake me up when its over,i'm f#####g bored with it now.The only woman who made a sensible comment, was the boyfirends mum!

Just now, Destiny1990 said:

Hope the UK Gentleman on sandals and with ladyboy who apparently fell from stairs also give his side on the incident soon as he is released the hospital.

I hope so too, but in that case, I'm thinking he was a tourist ( the socks bit and all) and therefore nothing will be forthcoming.... hope I'm wrong,

To his credit/in his favour, he made a bee line for the police to report the incident. While that may have been foolish given his injuries, it does suggest someone with a firm belief in his case and that he was wronged. Supported by the lass with him.

I'm as guilty as the next person of reading the bones of the story and seeing truth; in this case, drunk tourist, wouldn't pay because it was more expensive than 7/11, bar owner over-reacts etc etc.

Archived