National Park in Krabi refuses to stop fleecing tourists - authorities preparing for "double pricing" showdown today

webfact

its easy.  refuse to pay it and dont go there.  simple.  one day, maybe, they will get the message.  i went to the floating market the other day in Hua Hin.  Free entry for Thais, and 200 baht for foreigners.  Big sign at entrance.  I just laughed at them and walked away.   A lot of the markets try it on in Hua Hin as well, but I just buy from the sellers that display prices.  easy. its not rocket science.  and one day, you never know, they may just get the message. but i doubt it.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Suttisan said:

Well at least the tourists and expats (also considered tourists) will have free front row seats as these greedy wotsits show themselves up on the international stage (again). 

Getting to be like a long running TV series. The nice thing is you do not have to travel to see it either.

35 minutes ago, Dazinoz said:

They already do. I produce my Thai drivers licence and pay Thai price.

Went to the Botanical Gardens in Phuket with my wife. Instantly was told 1000baht. Showed our Thai licences. Dropped to 200 total. 

No foreigners get into a NP for the Thai price, driving licence or whatever.

I may be the lone voice in the wilderness on this one, but I'm not that bothered by two-tiered pricing, and you'll find it to be pretty common in developing countries, at least in Asia. Four related reasons:

1. Maintaining national parks comes at a price... it's not free. Developing countries like Thailand don't have a large tax base, so entrance fees help defray the costs.
  2. The majority of citizens in developing countries don't have a lot of disposable income. But they should still have the opportunity to enjoy their national heritage at least as much as foreigners (who will generally have more money than the average Thai).
  3. Tourists spend 100s/1000s of dollars just to go to Thailand, so another $20 here and there shouldn't be a big deal provided that the attraction is worth the price charged; they also 'save' a lot of money on the low cost of food and drink here during their holiday
  4. Most foreigners come from wealthier and more expensive countries. When I arrive in Thailand, the spending power of the money in my wallet magically increase 3-4 times. BT500 won't even get you two beers in a restaurant in Singapore, where I've been spending my time lately ... how many Changs will that get you in Thailand? A BT500 entrance fee will not kill me...

That notwithstanding, perhaps they could not have the higher prices for people over 60. Heck - make this stuff free for over-60s, Thai and foreigner alike (I'm not there yet). And people will naturally do their own arithmetic: like I said above, the attraction better be worth the price. People may be willing to pay $20 to see Sukhothai historical park, but a beach ... perhaps not.

1 minute ago, nickmondo said:

its easy.  refuse to pay it and dont go there.  simple.  one day, maybe, they will get the message.  i went to the floating market the other day in Hua Hin.  Free entry for Thais, and 200 baht for foreigners.  Big sign at entrance.  I just laughed at them and walked away.   A lot of the markets try it on in Hua Hin as well, but I just buy from the sellers that display prices.  easy. its not rocket science.  and one day, you never know, they may just get the message. but i doubt it.

Time and again this has been suggested for 20 years or so - it doesn't work.

however if you want to reinforce the appearance of "stupid foreigner" "Jai rawn" you are going the right way about it.

After 20 years here and traveled the entire country I have yet to visit a Thai park that I thought was fantastic. Some are nice but most are a waste of time. There is nothing outstanding in any of them. The waterfalls are small, the old temples look cool but after a few look the same, the flowers can be seen anywhere ......
The grand palace area in Bkk is however really nice but too many people to really enjoy the day.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

2 minutes ago, trigpoint said:

No foreigners get into a NP for the Thai price, driving licence or whatever.

This is not 100% true - but it is more difficult than it used to be. - It is partly down to your negotiation skills in Thai....and of course which NP you sure trying to get into.

Whilst I appreciate double pricing is reasonable - Thailand is not alone in this, Laos and Russia for certain attractions, the quoted rates of Farangs paying 400/200 is obviously going to cause problems when compared to the published Thai price of 40/20.

The obvious comeback will be Thais do not have as much money as Farangs; OK some may not....but how many Issan farmers go to Krabi ?

However the Thais holidaying around Krabi will probably be as well breeched as any Farang.

BTW up here in sunny Issan we only pay double Thai price.

Sounds like someone in Krabi is stoking the retirement fund.

I've just had a thought - I visit national parks a lot....and I usually make people aware that I disapprove of the 2-tier system.......how about a Thai language letter/flyer of protest that we could hand out every time we have to pay top-whack to enter?

I can't write Thai - is there anyone here who could write a POLITE note that voices our disappointment at the 2-tier system.

After a while these notes would crop up at NPs all over Thailand....i'm sure someone would take notice then.

Maybe some one at work can do it.........

2 hours ago, rudidep said:

Two tiered pricing by private enterprise (especially when using Thai script to hide the Thai prices) is despicable. This is different. Two-tiered pricing is set at all national parks in Thailand, and clearly posted in both English and Thai. I was told that the underlying rationale is that a flat fee to cover the cost of upkeep of the parks would raise the price of a ticket to a level where it would no longer be affordable for the average-income Thai family. Hence low prices for Thai, high prices for Tourists. There some logic to this...whether acceptable or not is a different matter and leave it to the forum to decide. Cheers.

Well finally a sensible answer. Yes I can see some rationale in this. The hurdle for me is the 10 times multiplier. That seems to be reaching. With low wages here it seems that everything should come into balance unless there is some hanky panky at the cash drawer. The balance of power and standfastedness of the governing body far outweighs businesses that make a profit and a living and in the end if the tourists smarten up there might be a day without tourists. 

6 minutes ago, ttthailand said:

After 20 years here and traveled the entire country I have yet to visit a Thai park that I thought was fantastic. Some are nice but most are a waste of time. There is nothing outstanding in any of them. The waterfalls are small, the old temples look cool but after a few look the same, the flowers can be seen anywhere ......
The grand palace area in Bkk is however really nice but too many people to really enjoy the day.

Well I'm vey ad for you - you obviously don't understand Thai climate or botany and haven't visited Thi Lor su - one of the largest waterfalls in South-East Asia.

1 hour ago, paul545 said:

In the past I have shown my work permit to Government run venues and others such as Sri Racha Tiger Zoo, Erawan Museum, Mueang Boran and been charged the Thai price and more recently I have used my Farang Pink ID card to enter places like Pattaya floating market where it is free for Thai but Baht 200 for Farang and got in free. If you are a long term Farang resident then get the ID card it's so much easier and stops you getting high blood pressure :)

My Thai driving licence used to work, and may still do for privately owned business. But National Parks will not accept them. :(

I have lived here for nearly 30 years and only recently have been getting more interested in the forest NPs. They really are quite spectacular so IMHO it is worth visiting them despite the annoyances. There is so much to see! Try to get away from the crowds, either by 4WD or walking. Two Sundays ago, the g/f and I were having a Sunday breakfast at a waterfall in Kaeng Kra Chan after a 4 km walk through pristine forests. It was spectacular. Just the two of us there with hundreds of butterflies etc. I'm not really sure what more you could ask for. (that was after we got through the traffic jam on the way there LOL)

10 minutes ago, Alan Deer said:

This is not 100% true - but it is more difficult than it used to be. - It is partly down to your negotiation skills in Thai....and of course which NP you sure trying to get into.

I  wouldn't know which NP,s charge me 1000% more, I don't go anymore based on this racist discrimination.

8 minutes ago, Docno said:

I may be the lone voice in the wilderness on this one, but I'm not that bothered by two-tiered pricing, and you'll find it to be pretty common in developing countries, at least in Asia. Four related reasons:

1. Maintaining national parks comes at a price... it's not free. Developing countries like Thailand don't have a large tax base, so entrance fees help defray the costs.
  2. The majority of citizens in developing countries don't have a lot of disposable income. But they should still have the opportunity to enjoy their national heritage at least as much as foreigners (who will generally have more money than the average Thai).
  3. Tourists spend 100s/1000s of dollars just to go to Thailand, so another $20 here and there shouldn't be a big deal provided that the attraction is worth the price charged; they also 'save' a lot of money on the low cost of food and drink here during their holiday
  4. Most foreigners come from wealthier and more expensive countries. When I arrive in Thailand, the spending power of the money in my wallet magically increase 3-4 times. BT500 won't even get you two beers in a restaurant in Singapore, where I've been spending my time lately ... how many Changs will that get you in Thailand? A BT500 entrance fee will not kill me...

That notwithstanding, perhaps they could not have the higher prices for people over 60. Heck - make this stuff free for over-60s, Thai and foreigner alike (I'm not there yet). And people will naturally do their own arithmetic: like I said above, the attraction better be worth the price. People may be willing to pay $20 to see Sukhothai historical park, but a beach ... perhaps not.

Almost every point you have listed is inaccurate - putting numbers by them doesn't make them any more accurate either. 

Defraying costs is not effective with the current system - government funding has remained static even thought the number of parks has increased disproportionately.

Research has also shown that Thai citizens are wTP more for most sites - to the tune of 100 to 200%.

Getting money form tourist at any attraction is done more effectively by secondary purchases and services rather than by entrance fees. As you identify, they have "money to burn" - but high entrance fees create a reluctance not a willingness to spend.

you mention cost of living - people actually spend about the same on their yearly holiday, regardless of destination - flight plus spending tends to be the formula - you mention a factor or 3 or 4 in spending power - so being asked 10 TIMES the local price doesn't really impress, does it?

worth the price - there is a complicated WTP formula that has been applied to various NPs around thailand and it found that entrance fees are a hindrance here. Also the Thai authorities have continued to ignore scientifically formulated advice and continue with their own prejudiced perspectives - and now ALL NPs have what amounts to a BLANKET entrance fee regardless of the attractions they offer.

6 minutes ago, trigpoint said:

I  wouldn't know which NP,s charge me 1000% more, I don't go anymore based on this racist discrimination.

Theres the rub! - you just don't know.......It isn't racist - this post shows that you really don't have a grasp on the issues at all........ gainsaying may  be your troll but it won't help understanding of why Thailand persists in this policy.

And Pattaya wants, eventually to clean up the sex industry.Ok , so now you would be left with no sex industry and over priced attractions,to the power of 4.You will still have extortion,robberies,shootings,murders,rapes,drunks and drugs.Somehow it doesn't sound like a 'must go' holiday destination' to me

10 minutes ago, tpaul1 said:

I have lived here for nearly 30 years and only recently have been getting more interested in the forest NPs. They really are quite spectacular so IMHO it is worth visiting them despite the annoyances. There is so much to see! Try to get away from the crowds, either by 4WD or walking. Two Sundays ago, the g/f and I were having a Sunday breakfast at a waterfall in Kaeng Kra Chan after a 4 km walk through pristine forests. It was spectacular. Just the two of us there with hundreds of butterflies etc. I'm not really sure what more you could ask for. (that was after we got through the traffic jam on the way there LOL)

Totally agree - I think some of the opinions on NPs are quite philistine.

however I still think there needs to be an abandonment of the 2-tier system.....even if it does mean ore philistines on the campsites.....

"After 20 years here and traveled the entire country" - clearly has missed a few bits!

2 hours ago, NextStationBangkok said:

They want more tourists to come and place should not be get dirty is not fair.

Why not charge Thai's 300 and foreigners 400. They make word Alien non-affordable.

Then why do you give visa to everyone, just limit the number of visas per year and after Nov tell Thailand is closed for tourists, just say no if you like to reduce the tourists.

Many will be happy to visit Myanmar, and Cambodia too, let them get some fair share too.

You will want to avoid Siem Reap in that case.

Locals free, tourists around USD 30/day (from memory) 

I lived and worked  in Thailand for 10 years as a manager earning 30K THB per month.  I paid tax, had a work permit and driving licence. My Thai counterpart was paid the same salary but I had to pay the higher price being a foreigner. Do you still think it's fair ?

I don't because there is no reason for it especially if the person is working here or living here legally.

Some of what you say I can somewhat agree with but if you want to be helping the poor people enjoy the parks then they have to also get there. Awhile back when expats could get into the parks with a driver license I use to load up the truck and take the local Thais to see the parks. It was a nice day out with friends and family. But who wants to visit a park when you have to pay 400 baht and the people with you who make 300 a day working can't believe it and feel shy about you having to pay.
I just stopped going thus many Thais friends and family have lost their free ride. I don't think I am alone in doing this.
I would understand charging a little more but 10 x is just too big of a difference.

5 hours ago, AlexRich said:

Never had this issue - I simply don't go. All foreigners should do likewise if they want to see 'farang price' stopped.

Spend $$ thousands on a plane ticket and hotels, then let $14 stop you from going to see something you can't see anywhere else you'll ever visit in your lifetime?

Sounds like false economy to me...  But then, I'm in favor of dual pricing.

Floating markets seem to have adopted a 200 baht farang entrance fee within the last year ( certainly Ayutthaya has, and Hua Hin apparently).
From zero to 200 baht seems like a pretty good money earner based on the number of farangs visiting them.

Sent from my iPhone with the usual amount of sincerity and sarcasm [emoji4]

Another spot not  to visit is the waterfall (forgot the name) just south of Ranong. In 2004 me the farang and a car load of Thai friends plus the girlfriend and our daughter (about 6 months old at the time) went there. They all went in while I waited outside as I was amazed at the noncaring faces when I was asked to pay foreigners rates. They were not happy at all as it was their loss.  Oh it was free for my baby as she wasn't carrying a camera. A real shame as yet another con in the pros and cons of life in Thailand

5 hours ago, AlexRich said:

Never had this issue - I simply don't go. All foreigners should do likewise if they want to see 'farang price' stopped.

I have a better solution, we go to Bali, Penang, Langkawi, Singapore, Macau, Hongkong, Japan, Vietnam instead...nobody fleeced me there and i feel more safe as well cause the police there does their work much more serious.

Floating markets seem to have adopted a 200 baht farang entrance fee within the last year ( certainly Ayutthaya has, and Hua Hin apparently).
From zero to 200 baht seems like a pretty good money earner based on the number of farangs visiting them.

Sent from my iPhone with the usual amount of sincerity and sarcasm [emoji4]

Yes, and the Ayutthaya floating market is nothing to write home about.

10 minutes ago, Rosco911 said:

I lived and worked  in Thailand for 10 years as a manager earning 30K THB per month.  I paid tax, had a work permit and driving licence. My Thai counterpart was paid the same salary but I had to pay the higher price being a foreigner. Do you still think it's fair ?

I don't because there is no reason for it especially if the person is working here or living here legally.

I agree, westerners should also receive a 10-foulded salary if they work in Thailand. Than i think the extorted prices are fair.

Archived