What Are Viable Businesses In Krabi?

Gongchime

I've just received a bit of a windfall and am interested in moving to Krabi permanently. I'm not old enough to retire (42 years old) from what I've seen about the retirement visa requirements (55years old) ($300,000). I still think the amount I received is enough to live off the interest or nearly so but how to live in Thailand without a retirement visa? Teaching jobs look nearly nonexistant and I'm trying to avoid that anyway. I don't have a diving instruction certificate but I suppose I could get one. However, I'm more interested in opening a business even if it only breaks even to allow me to live in Krabi. Prefer to be near the beach but 10-20 minutes away is o.k too. What business are most people successful at. I understand they need a bakery. That wouldn't be my first choice. I'm more interested in selling Thai cultural products, musical instruments, cds etc... Would love to hear the bad with the good. Drop something here please.

also the quality of english in krabi is really poor! if you don't want to teach formally you could try doing private lessons (which usually get more $), especially for large hotels (staff). my thai friend went there and people were begging him to work for them because his english is good.

also the quality of english in krabi is really poor! if you don't want to teach formally you could try doing private lessons (which usually get more $), especially for large hotels (staff). my thai friend went there and people were begging him to work for them because his english is good.

I was looking for a reply from someone with more knowledge about opening and doing a business in a foreign country. Working illegally teaching English is not a good idea. You can get permanently kicked out of Thailand and you must enter with a tourist visa. I don't want either one. Anyway, I had said that teaching was something I want to avoid. I'd rather learn Thai than spread English. Opening a supermarket is a good idea but it's not really related to where my experience is. Something to think about though. Thanks for the replies.

Dear girlx, I thought that teaching privates was illegal. Am I wrong? I think if you have a license for one kind of business then you're not supposed to do another kind. Are you suggesting I get a business license to teach privates? I don't think they allow it. Could be mistaken. It's a strange world. Anyway after getting notes from more recent research I discovered that the retirment visa is issued to 50 year olds not 55 year olds and the amount needed to deposit in a bank is nearly 1/3 of the $300,000 I thought was necessary. If that is the case then I can retire in Thailand in 8 years. WOO HOO !!!!! No business required.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
i didn't suggest you work illegally, i suggested you do private lessons for the staff of big hotels. anyway i don't see anyone else trying to help you out.

The protection racket is a good business to get into.

You might need to change nationality.

But good returns i think.

:o

I'd strongly suggest you enter on a tourist visa and hang around a little first. I'd say it's imperative.

At least 6 months, to start getting some feel for the lay of the land. Even if you've come here for years for relatively short periods.

Edited by OlRedEyes