"Happy Zone" is the answer to resort's woes says top cop at Pattaya crisis meeting on crime and tourism

webfact

and all this time I thought Pattaya drew so many tourists because it was deemed a happy zone already.  Walking Street as the first happy zone, yup should draw more families into the countless bars there to watch 'over 20' year olds put on a show that occurs around the world.  

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He said he had been ordered by the national police HQ to stop crime against tourists.  Fairly pathetic, to say the least, when one needs to be ordered to do what they should be doing that day in and day out...!  Isn't that in their job description...? Unreal.

How would all the Hi-so Thai and Chinese tourists get about?
you can't expect them to ride around in songthaews with the rif-raf, maybe employ the non meter using Taxis as long as the price is high and the driver wears a chauffeurs cap.
Yes me-lady pink open top stretched taxis just for very large hair VIP khun-yings who regularly visit the World class family beach resort.

3 minutes ago, JGV said:

Start by making Pattaya a car free zone - only Songthaews on specific routes

Immediate impact as people will feel cleaner, healthier and more relaxed

9 minutes ago, JGV said:

Start by making Pattaya a car free zone - only Songthaews on specific routes

Immediate impact as people will feel cleaner, healthier and more relaxed

So great idea lets try it for one month..songthaews and walking is more then sufficient to get around a city as Pattaya.

Another load of 'pie in the sky ' crap.

Thing will never change until they put more plod on the streets.Cop cars cruising the beach and other suspect areas.Pay the cops a better wage, so they dont have rely on taking a cut of the proceeds.Build more prisons (from  budget that has long been plundered) Build young offenders detention centres.And makeing the punishments, far more harsher to make these,shit thieves realise that the punishment given, is not worth committing the crime.Birching in a public place springs to mind.

I would say branding with the letter 'T' but that would be very 17th century,but then again, what century is this country still in?

Security has started to prohibit children being brought into Nana Plaza by tourists. Keep the looky loos (tours) and the children out of Walking Street. Only the professional "enjoyers" should be allowed in. Having "gawking" tours is bad PR just like having "sex" tours is.

Ha. This is rich...

We want the operators in the area to be the eyes and ears for the authorities so that we can work together to solve the problem of crime.

Ok, so I guess the first crime the operators need to report on are the bribes they pay to the "authorities"  for "permits" to sell sex, play pirated music, have on-premises short-time rooms, allow smoking indoors, stay open past official closing hours, and who knows how many other "permits" the police illegally invent to buy their new trucks and other assorted toys. 

A guy I know in Ban Chang paid 40K for a permit to use pirated DVDs in his bar. The next year, the cops came back in a quasi-raid / check. He showed the permit. They asked if he had copied the DVDs to play from his computer. He had. Another 40K "permit" for the right to use illegal copies (of pirated DVDs) now showing behind the bar. 

You can't clean up Pattaya when the people who are doing the cleaning are the ones who stand to lose. 

Gotta love it.

On 2/22/2017 at 7:53 PM, WhizBang said:

Happy Zones?   Seriously?   :cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

And this from 'a top policeman'?   If this is the best they can come up with, god help us all.  Sadly, I think this IS the best they can come up with. 

It NEVER seems to occur to any of these numnuts that they should be out doing their job, policing.  They should be visible and be out enforcing, and seen to enforce, the law.   Forget about trying to track, or harrass, tourists, just go out and enforce the law, for both Thais and foreigners.   And put an end to all those tea money traffic stops.  All they do is make traffic worse and make people hate the cops even more.

IMO it's not about actually DOING anything- it's about LOOKING as though they are doing something. Over the years there have been many crackdowns, but never amount to anything long term. The biggest disaster was when Puarachai attempted to close it all down, but all that happened was that the crime rate against tourists went up as locals that lost their jobs tried to make some money to survive.

In a sensible scenario, Pattaya would be allowed to continue ( but with real policing against criminals ) as all the mongers could go there and leave the rest of Thailand to do whatever they do. If they actually destroyed it in Pattaya, the girls will just go elsewhere, and the mongers will follow. So, rather than having one city with a "problem", it will just spread over all the beach resorts of Thailand. It already exists in them all anyway, so they will just get bigger.

Singapore tried this BS years ago, and suffered as they gained a reputation as a fun devoid sterile place with only shopping as an attraction.

On 2/24/2017 at 7:26 PM, elgenon said:

Security has started to prohibit children being brought into Nana Plaza by tourists. Keep the looky loos (tours) and the children out of Walking Street. Only the professional "enjoyers" should be allowed in. Having "gawking" tours is bad PR just like having "sex" tours is.

I never saw any tourist children in Nana, and I went there a lot. If they are encouraging families, it's had it's day anyway.

The only children I saw were the ones being exploited by their parents to sell stuff to tourists and it was child abuse, but of course nothing was done about it. Same goes on on Walking St all the time, but the TPVs ignore it.

Archived