Fish-feeding Russian tourist jailed in Phuket

webfact

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, gdgbb said:

There are charges outstanding against him that he acknowledged through his lawyer, he was arrested.

Paying compensation to the family of a victim is a perfectly normal legal procedure in most societies worldwide, it is not peculiar to Thai society, but it doesn't make the death of the victim "legal" as you (I hope sarcastically) suggest.  

You'll have to keep an eye on the media yourself, I'm not here to alert you to what's happening in the world.   If you think that the case/investigation is not ongoing then you really are either out of touch or you are obtusely ignoring an announcement made by senior police officers not so long ago.

How long do you think it takes to bring a case to trial in any society. That case is a farce.  But as I said before just wait till he feeds a fish or something like that and then pounce on him.

1 hour ago, NamKangMan said:

I can only imagine the TV interviews she will be giving, when she gets back in Russia. 

IF she is given a prison sentence, this could esculate into a diplomatic incident, not to mention the fall out for Russian tourism to Phuket.

I really doubt your inferences.

A "fish" in a teacup .....it will soon blow over.

I doubt it will cause a ripple in Russian tourist numbers. For every dissatisfied customer, there are 1,000 (presumably satisfied) we never hear about. My opinion is that this lady has been treated way too harshly. Her holiday has been ruined. I assume that someone, somewhere behind the scenes, will make things right for this lady so that, at the very least, she is not out of pocket.

well, looks like one has to click two links to get to the details.  First link gets you to the gazette, the second link pops up some hotel add screen but also goes to another article.  Boy, the Thai Officials were really "fishing" to dig up "laws" to try and charge these people.  Looks like pure extortion to me.  I wouldn't be surprised if the officials at first tried to get a bribe and then the perplexed Russians refused, so in the Thai face saving way, the Thais went all out against them. 

another tourism thing is to have the boats that take you out to some island.... very safely of course.... detour way off to some other unannounced stop... which just happens to have an "iconic" picture taking sharing spot of some kind.... so you can advertise that particular tourist area for them.....  when you ask about that they tell you that "well.... we are giving our customers a special opportunity to see an extra Thai island for their Thai cultural experience... we're so nice!".

yeah right.  I got it.  actually, I "get it" two or three times a day or more... everyone does. it's part of the fun. 

Archived