Fish-feeding Russian tourist jailed in Phuket

webfact

2 hours ago, balo said:

So she didnt pay 100k then , just 2 nights in a cell and she's free to go back to Russia and tell the story .

She's got to appear in court, the B100k was for bail that was paid (and which will be repaid in due course), then she will be free to go home.

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, gdgbb said:

She hasn't received any penalty yet, she has to appear in court first for that to happen.

the penalty is already significant.  she has to stay in thailand for some farce of a trial, paying for hotel, transportation, etc,  and perhaps losing wages for her job, or the job itself, if she has one back home.   because some assclown got their panties bunched up because she was feeding fish?  

I want to know if there is a post in Their language that says it is not allowed to feed the fish

If it is not then it if impossible for them to know that it was against the law to feed the fish

There should have been a warning not this stupid jailing

Very bad for the image of Thailand

Hope the international media take this up 

6 minutes ago, realenglish1 said:

I want to know if there is a post in Their language that says it is not allowed to feed the fish

If it is not then it if impossible for them to know that it was against the law to feed the fish

There should have been a warning not this stupid jailing

Very bad for the image of Thailand

Hope the international media take this up 

As I have mentioned quite a few times now: there are big signposts in English, Thai, Russian and Chinese.

Your reasoning is incorrect BTW, a sign is really not required.

7 hours ago, gdgbb said:

Yes, there have been instances of prosecutions for polluting, do your own searches.   I didn't say that there were regular prosecutions, you said that, but then the fish-feeding offence isn't something that is regularly prosecuted either.

You brought it up so you should give the examples. Don't think you should expect others to research your claims. From what I've read, prosecution of whistle blowers is more likely than prosecution of the polluters.

16 hours ago, DNPBC0 said:

Are there signs on the beaches in the regulated areas warning people about the  prohibition? How are tourists expected to know about the issue?

assuming tourists and locals actually read the signs.  Such as 'swim between the flags'.

Now if only they fined the tourists for smoking and dropping their fag ends into the sand!!!

19 minutes ago, stevenl said:

As I have mentioned quite a few times now: there are big signposts in English, Thai, Russian and Chinese.

Got it but still Jail for feeding the fish A fine would have been appropriate Reminds me when they arrested the seniors for playing cards

Not well thought out 

Hit someone with a block of wood, run them over, fight and cause grievous bodily harm to the other party, etc. - get fined 500 baht and on your way, feed a few fish - pay bail if 100,000 baht and go to court or stay in jail until the bail has been laid and still go to court. Certainly is amazing thailand!!!!

17 hours ago, manarak said:

best advertizing for tourism in Thailand ever !!

keep it up!

maybe the boss of the Ministry of Tourism will see that she's got some more urgent work to do than a crusade against sin, lol.

Head of tourism should be sacked. Crazy. The world is laughing at thailand. You have loss big face

Might have been helpful to the folks if the article had explained exactly why feeding fish is such a serious crime in Thailand

Feeding dogs seems to be seen as an  admiral thing to do.

In Wat Yan, Silverlake, they sell food to feed the fish......same in Chiang Mai at Thapai Gate?

42 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Are you sure they are in Russian, too? Google search shows that they are only in English, Thai and Chinese.

11 hours ago, sweatalot said:

You are right.

but prohibiting her from leaving "lawful" Thailand (this way making her lose a lot of money), making her a hard time, put her in prison for two nights... What is this?

may be not a penalty but a punishmenjt or better harassing and torturing. She deservse compensation money more than those incredibly wrong 100.000 Baht.

pettifogger.

Any time anyone ia arrested in Thailand for anything, the same thing happens.

Pay bail, normally at a level totally disproportionate to the offence, and then stay in Thailand until the case is finished.

Also, the system is unbelievably slow.

84 Days for the prosecutor simply to decide what charges to file.

Than if you plead not guilty, you can wait a year or longer to finally come to trial.

Even if you win, the prosecutor may appeal, and you are stuck for even longer.

It is a terrible, thoughtless and inhumane system, but it is the law and hundreds of foreigners are caught up in it every year.

Sadly, it encourages a speedy guilty plea to get it finished quickly, even if you are innocent.

This lady being arrested is one of the most crazy things I have heard of, but this is Amazing Thailand.

What a despicable so-called Justice system in this place....One kills a person/s on the road and 20,000 fine if unlucky.....:shock1: and of course no jail time if one drives a Mercedes......

Pardon me, was she aware of this Dark Ages rule in the first place?

Welcome to Thailand....Tell your friends how the Justice System makes all tourists welcome....:shock1:

16 hours ago, gdgbb said:

She hasn't received any penalty yet, she has to appear in court first for that to happen.

But she's already had two days in jail and had to fork out 100,000 baht bail money.  Get real man and stop trying to be as stupid as the powers that be.

Totally disgusting treatment of a tourist causing no harm to anyone ! Surely on this basis they should imprison everyone seen by the side of a pond, lake or river, with a fishing rod, since they are basically feeding the fish every time the bait gets eaten off the hook. Some of the officials in this country just do not have the brains of a clam.

I understand that feeding the fish in restricted, signed areas could possibly damage the reefs through distracting the fish from eating the algae hence possibly damaging the coral.

But I also, certainly, understand that by feeding the global media stories like this, without any common sense applied to the actions taken against a tourist, that this will do far more damage to the tourist section for Thailand as a whole.

If indeed signs are being displayed, then fine her. But why would they think to drag her through the entire justice system for this? 

Incredible!

Archived