BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

webfact

Fish-feeding Russian tourist jailed in Phuket

4 minutes ago, johng said:

Well according to the report above she already spent 2 nights in jail surely thats already enough punishment ?

It wasn't punishment, that was because she had to meet bail requirements.  If she had done that 2 days ago she would not have spent any time in jail.

6 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

She was two nights in a holding cell.

Still silly enough.

She's not now.

If she'd been run over by a speedboat the driver would not have spent 2 days in pokey or choughed up THB 100k bail!

"Just when you thought is was safe to go back into the water..."

real_estate_lawsuit_kickbacks_title_drizin_law_blog.jpg

Amazing Thailand!

How can it be illegal to feed fish in the sea?

Given the abuses the rivers and lakes in this country receive from pollutants and garbage, I really don't get it.

Is this some insane move from the Government to ensure all tourists go to the surrounding countries?

How is tourism going to rise with such lunacy everywhere, everyday?

Poor woman must be absolutely shellshocked.

22 minutes ago, gdgbb said:

No, that's not ok, everything that you referred to are offences also that are prosecuted.

If you are silly enough to believe that then that is your choice. But regardless, the garbage and the filth and pollution remains on the sea floor, even if they are prosecuted, which they are not. Are you seriously suggesting all the people who throw garbage into klongs and waterways which eventually ends up on the sea floor are prosecuted? Are you suggesting the councils which pollute the beaches and the seas with sewage outpourings from decrepit and poorly maintained treatment plants are prosecuted? Your entertainment value is sometimes on a par with the PM.

Just now, Brer Fox said:

If you are silly enough to believe that then that is your choice. But regardless, the garbage and the filth and pollution remains on the sea floor, even if they are prosecuted, which they are not. Are you seriously suggesting all the people who throw garbage into klongs and waterways which eventually ends up on the sea floor are prosecuted? Are you suggesting the councils which pollute the beaches and the seas with sewage outpourings from decrepit and poorly maintained treatment plants are prosecuted? Your entertainment value is sometimes on a par with the PM.

Whether I believe it or not, or whether you believe it or not, is irrelevant, prosecutions happen,  so "silly" doesn't come into it.  Not every offender is indicted, obviously, but neither does every fish-feeding offender get prosecuted, do they?

Sorry to disappoint you but I don't post for your entertainment.

They had to follow it up or it would mean loss of face. :saai:

Meanwhile, I hear tourism in Vietnam is booming.

41 minutes ago, MarkusAUST said:

Amazing Thailand!

How can it be illegal to feed fish in the sea?

Given the abuses the rivers and lakes in this country receive from pollutants and garbage, I really don't get it.

Is this some insane move from the Government to ensure all tourists go to the surrounding countries?

How is tourism going to rise with such lunacy everywhere, everyday?

Poor woman must be absolutely shellshocked.

I did a 'quick and dirty' Google search..  As I now understand it, the issue seems to be  all about the preservation of coral reefs.  Algae grows on coral, and, if it is not controlled, the coral dies.  Fish normally eat the algae and keep it from taking over the reef.  If fish are given an alternative and more attractive food (eg bread), they eat less of the algae, and there is less chance that the algal growth will be safely controlled . We need a marine biologist to confirm all this . However, even if it is correct, I do wonder how far tourists know about the prohibition on feeding fish in regulated areas and how far they understand the rationale for the prohibition.  In the circumstances, I entirely agree that the present  response of the authorities to infringements of the ban is well over the top.

1 minute ago, DNPBC0 said:

I did a 'quick and dirty' Google search..  As I now understand it, the issue seems to be  all about the preservation of coral reefs.  Algae grows on coral, and, if it is not controlled, the coral dies.  Fish normally eat the algae and keep it from taking over the reef.  If fish are given an alternative and more attractive food (eg bread), they eat less of the algae, and there is less chance that the algal growth will be safely controlled . We need a marine biologist to confirm all this . However, even if it is correct, I do wonder how far tourists know about the prohibition on feeding fish in regulated areas and how far they understand the rationale for the prohibition.  In the circumstances, I entirely agree that the present  response of the authorities to infringements of the ban is well over the top.

To the tune of 100,000 Baht bail?

That's just looney tunes numbers for the supposed "offence."

I have lived in Thailand since I was two, and have never heard of any law about this.

How is a tourist supposed to know? Especially one who probably couldn't read signs in Thai or English.

23 minutes ago, MarkusAUST said:

To the tune of 100,000 Baht bail?

That's just looney tunes numbers for the supposed "offence."

I have lived in Thailand since I was two, and have never heard of any law about this.

How is a tourist supposed to know? Especially one who probably couldn't read signs in Thai or English.

The Russian tourist could have read the signs in Russian.

And the tour operator could/should point out it is not allowed to feed the fish. But did they do this?

1 minute ago, stevenl said:

The Russian tourist could have read the signs in Russian.

And the tour operator could/should point out it is not allowed to feed the fish. But did they do this?

They probably supplied the bread!

1 hour ago, gdgbb said:

Whether I believe it or not, or whether you believe it or not, is irrelevant, prosecutions happen,  so "silly" doesn't come into it.  Not every offender is indicted, obviously, but neither does every fish-feeding offender get prosecuted, do they?

Prosecutions happen for polluting do they? Can you give us some examples? Here in Thailand please? I would love to see these.

Maybe if the regular prosecutions you believe are happening are revealed, it might encourage others to clean up their act. And their waterways.

On an alternatvie note, I still don't get why such a minor act of feeding some fish a little lunch requires 100,000 Baht bail.

The story in the paper gives no explanation. I mean it is a tourist, who really can't be expected to know.

Someone with more than a handful of functioning brain cells might be expected to tell the lady, Please stop doing that, it is not allowed, and tell her why.

To arrest her and throw her in the cells seems utter madness.

I could understand it if it were a resident who was blatantly disregarding the rules whilst KNOWING it was illegal.

58 minutes ago, DNPBC0 said:

On more than one occasion I have been under the water when cyanide and demolition charges were used by local fishermen.

It did wonders for the reef :(

They probably supplied the bread!

Yes, for breakfast and lunch.

sent using Tapatalk

Lets hope Russia Today picks up on this story.

You can use Twitter to put this story out to the whole world.

#thailand

#russia

#cnn

#bbc