BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

webfact

Fish-feeding Russian tourist jailed in Phuket

I'de report this to Vladimir, but I don't think he'd care too much!

Once it hits the Russian news,, that's just another nail in the tourist coffin...idiots !

Once it hits the Russian news,, that's just another nail in the tourist coffin...idiots !

One can only hope.

sent using Tapatalk

The coffin must be solid steel by now with all the accumulated nails so its totally bullet proof.

21 minutes ago, DavisH said:

TASS has the story but I don't think the Russian Government mouthpiece is compulsory reading these days.

4 hours ago, gdgbb said:

She hasn't received any penalty yet, she has to appear in court first for that to happen.

You are right.

but prohibiting her from leaving "lawful" Thailand (this way making her lose a lot of money), making her a hard time, put her in prison for two nights... What is this?

may be not a penalty but a punishmenjt or better harassing and torturing. She deservse compensation money more than those incredibly wrong 100.000 Baht.

pettifogger.

please help to dessiminate this story and other horrible stories about phuket,samui,koh tao etc to your local media back home and share this on social media with ur friends and relatives  back home please.

1. Where did the bread come from?
  2. Are any Thai vendors on the island selling bread?
  3. How did she know there were fish at the island that you could feed bread to?
  4. What duty of care is owed by a Thai tour operator with regard to advising customers about the obscure laws regarding fish feeding?
  5. Is there any signage regarding the fish feeding laws on display?
  6. If there are signs, are they translated into the Russian's language?
  7. Why didn't the Thais standing around the Russian lady advise her of the illegality of feeding fish?
  8. Did Thai man standing next to the Russian get attacked on social media for exposing his two young children to such a heinous crime?
  9. Is the humbug  (Dascyllus melanurus) even remotely endangered, even here in Thailand?
  10. Where is the effluent from the toilets on the tour boats that visit this island discharged?
  11. What causes more damage each year at Koh Racha, anchor damage from Thai boats, or bread fed to fish by tourists?
  12. Over the last 20 years, what percentage of the profits from Thai charters to Koh Racha have been used to maintain the marine environment?
  13. Over the last 20 years, who caught and sold all of the quality table fish species such as coral trout and groper at Koh Racha and sold them.  Thais or Tourists?
  14. Over the last 20 years, who caught and sold all of the lobster at Koh Racha and sold them.  Thais or Tourists?
  15. What percentage of the seashells for sale in Phuket originally came from the waters around Koh Racha and were they harvested by Thais or Tourists?
  16. Every night how many long tail boats cast drift nets to harvest ocean prawns and mantis shrimp in the waters around Koh Racha?

6 hours ago, webfact said:

However, she could not raise the required amount of 100,000 baht, so she had to stay in the holding cell at the police station for two nights,”

So she didnt pay 100k then , just 2 nights in a cell and she's free to go back to Russia and tell the story .

No she was jailed for 2 nights while (presumably) her friends or family raised the bailout money.

1 hour ago, sweatalot said:

She deservse compensation money more than those incredibly wrong 100.000 Baht.

She never paid 100k , she could not affford it . 

2 minutes ago, johng said:

No she was jailed for 2 nights while (presumably) her friends or family raised the bailout money.

Not what I think , she was released after 2 days according to the article because she had no money . She had no money like most Russian tourists with a low income , they travel here on cheap planes from Eastern Russia. 

2 minutes ago, balo said:

Not what I think , she was released after 2 days according to the article because she had no money . She had no money like most Russian tourists with a low income , they travel here on cheap planes from Eastern Russia. 

She was released because a friend paid the bail.

She can't leave until the case is finished. Passport is held by the court.

While I am about it, not all Russians are on a low budget. Nor are all Indians, Iranians etc.

Did you know you can't feed fish? Do you have 100,000 cash in your pocket when you are at the beach?

I feel sorry for the poor woman. She thought she was doing something good, then a nightmare arrives.

Totally avoidable situation. Just some stupid official reading the riot act, when a simple, "Please don't do that." would have solved the situation.

I donm't see a poor/wealthy foreigner as the issue. I see a "Jobsworth" as the problem.

6 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Prosecutions happen for polluting do they? Can you give us some examples? Here in Thailand please? I would love to see these.

Maybe if the regular prosecutions you believe are happening are revealed, it might encourage others to clean up their act. And their waterways.

Yes, there have been instances of prosecutions for polluting, do your own searches.   I didn't say that there were regular prosecutions, you said that, but then the fish-feeding offence isn't something that is regularly prosecuted either.