Fish-feeding Russian tourist jailed in Phuket

webfact

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I understand that feeding the fish in restricted, signed areas could possibly damage the reefs through distracting the fish from eating the algae hence possibly damaging the coral.

But I also, certainly, understand that by feeding the global media stories like this, without any common sense applied to the actions taken against a tourist, that this will do far more damage to the tourist section for Thailand as a whole.

If indeed signs are being displayed, then fine her. But why would they think to drag her through the entire justice system for this? 

Incredible!

Unfortunately, yes. This is a crime here, not an offence.

sent using Tapatalk

17 hours ago, gdgbb said:

She hasn't received any penalty yet, she has to appear in court first for that to happen.

Two nights in jail, paying 100k bail, facing all this ridiculous procedures with court hearings, spoilt holiday, maybe missing her return flight etc, etc...  is penalty enough. Thailand's injustice and crazyness !

Spread the story all over Russia, warn them about the flaws of a Thailand holiday. Simply unbelievable...

Last month Another Chinese tourist was also detained for two days for capturing fish.

"The arrest was made after locals reported the man" collecting live fish in a water bottle at Plub Pla Beach.

The arrest was made after locals reported the man collecting live fish in a water bottle at Plub Pla Beach.

“We found Huang Yong Jia, 35, with a small water bottle containing two live fish next to him. We arrested him and sent him to Chalong Police Station, where he was legally processed and detained for two days without bail,” said Mr Nares. 

(for the mods) I'm not sure if I can give the link ?

chinese tourist.jpeg

18 hours ago, sweatalot said:

Thais are clever. They say.

So this incident cannot be caused by stupidity.

Logic conclusion:

They want to finish with tourism. Thailand to the Thais only.

Let them reap what they sow

Tourists destroy Thailands reputation by buying counterfeit goods, swimming nude at night-time, having sex with prostitutes and now feeding fish.  

The Thai government (and Thai people) want our money, but they don't want us here to spend it.  

Time to leave Dodge and find somewhere else to spend our money guys. 

15 hours ago, evadgib said:

On more than one occasion I have been under the water when cyanide and demolition charges were used by local fishermen.

It did wonders for the reef :(

Burma and the Phillies, I have not seen this in Thailand.

Although the dynamite for Burma is supplied by Thailand so I was reliably told by a Burmese........

17 hours ago, MarkusAUST said:

Amazing Thailand!

How can it be illegal to feed fish in the sea?

Given the abuses the rivers and lakes in this country receive from pollutants and garbage, I really don't get it.

Is this some insane move from the Government to ensure all tourists go to the surrounding countries?

How is tourism going to rise with such lunacy everywhere, everyday?

Poor woman must be absolutely shellshocked.

So this happens and today we get a new story saying the waters around Thailand have incredibla amounts of pollution much of it washed down from rivers.

http://news.thaivisa.com/thailand/the-gulf-of-thailand-as-communal-trash-bin/167894/

Fish eat the garbage and the toxins in it, which is passed into the food chain.

And where did the pollution come from? Thais throwing their garbage wherever they feel convenient.

This is the real crime, not giving a few hungry fish a few bread crumbs.

The damage this incident is going to do to the tourist industry is immense.

Land of smiles? Land of the myopic, is more appropriate.

18 hours ago, mercman24 said:

this is beyond logical thinking get this stupidity out there.

Next they should arrest all the little kids (and a couple of adults, I'm sure), who pee in the sea without a second thought for poor little fish...

from the photo in the OP - that looks like a beach somewhere and nothing to do with corral, I see little fish like these around beaches and piers and they like to be fed - so what

Does this mean that no more fishing because when you fish you are providing food and in many cases if you go on a fishing trip you will throw bait into the water to attract the fish

There is just massive stupidity going on here, I am all for conservation but this is ridiculous, I am happy to see fish in the water because they are hard to find, the waters off Thailand have been fished out, feeding these little nippers will at least give them a chance

Not sure but is that a protected/national park area or something?   Signposted that taking or molesting flora and fauna is forbidden?  If so, I understand that feeding the fish would be seen to disturb the natural rhythm of the ecosystem.  Then again, if it's that sensitive and requires such a draconian fine and punishment to curb easily anticipated human behaviour, then the area should be placed off-limits to humans.   It's like letting kids into a petting zoo and whipping them with sticks when (not if) they touch the animals.

Thailand is a third world country. Not a first nor a second.

The social structure places a heavy emphasis on appearance, patronage and fealty. These factors  combined with the historically agrarian simple mindedness of the vast majority of Thais to this day, all whilst the country is engaged in the attempted assimilation if not mere emulation of western style gov/societal values, driven  y forces both i and outside the country, gives rise  to lunacy such as this.

Give a caveman an IPhone with printed instructions and would you be suprised if he wiped his arse with the instructions and used the phone as a hammer?

They think all Tourists are VERY RICH.

An old beggar asked me for money few days ago while on over night transit in BKK ,as I was getting some money out she said in astonishingly good English "you are rich,you have much money" give me good money??? then I walked away.?

My friend who was robbed in Phuket last week managed to pin down one of the robbers inside the restaurant where the robbery took place,told me that Police took his passport number and name but never took him to the station to lodge a report.

Of course the arrested boy will tell them about his partner where about and my friend's 5000B as well as the smart phone would be recovered and kept by the Corrupt Cops.

They did not ask for his address or contact number ....what does tgat mean??

"The maximum punishment for the environmental law violation is a year behind bars, a 100,000 Thai Baht ($2,850) fine, or both."

I think people misunderstand how this works.

The legislation outlines the maximum penalties which would only be imposed by the courts for very serious offences, way beyond the simple feeding of fish a few breadcrumbs by a tourist. Virtually all laws in most countries allow for maximum penalties so serious digressers don't just get a slap on the wrist.

What's happening here is business as usual at the most infamous Police station in Thailand.

When a farang enters this den of iniquity to be charged with a relatively minor offence, the Police levy a bail amount on the unfortunate "criminal",  usually the equivalent of the maximum fine. Their passport is seized, and they are held in the cells until the "bail" is paid.

After a day or so in the cells, most pay this "bail" and get on the plane home without ever getting within a bull's roar of a courtroom. The copper's coffers are full and ready for distribution up the chain.

I know several people who have spent time in there for minor and unproven offences. One fellow was locked up for weeks for a minor charge relating to a scuffle with another, connected farang because he refused to pay the bail. 

If the Russian sticks it out and goes to court she will probably only get a small fine, but she'll never get back those couple of days in the cells.

If the Anti-Corruption Organization of Thailand is serious about cleaning up Phuket this would be a good place to start.

Archived