BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

webfact

Fish-feeding Russian tourist jailed in Phuket

11 hours ago, sweatalot said:

You are right.

but prohibiting her from leaving "lawful" Thailand (this way making her lose a lot of money), making her a hard time, put her in prison for two nights... What is this?

may be not a penalty but a punishmenjt or better harassing and torturing. She deservse compensation money more than those incredibly wrong 100.000 Baht.

pettifogger.

Any time anyone ia arrested in Thailand for anything, the same thing happens.

Pay bail, normally at a level totally disproportionate to the offence, and then stay in Thailand until the case is finished.

Also, the system is unbelievably slow.

84 Days for the prosecutor simply to decide what charges to file.

Than if you plead not guilty, you can wait a year or longer to finally come to trial.

Even if you win, the prosecutor may appeal, and you are stuck for even longer.

It is a terrible, thoughtless and inhumane system, but it is the law and hundreds of foreigners are caught up in it every year.

Sadly, it encourages a speedy guilty plea to get it finished quickly, even if you are innocent.

This lady being arrested is one of the most crazy things I have heard of, but this is Amazing Thailand.

So they are doing a criminal background check because she fed some fish. I didn't see anything in the post that said feeding fish was illegal, needs clarification.

Must be more to this story.

I hope she gets charged for overstay when she finally is sent home, the woman is clearly a danger to Thai fish she must be punished.

17 hours ago, Mango Bob said:

I wonder if a Thai person would have to pay that much in bail to get out or even charged.

Double pricing.

At a new level. 

Never ask an official "How stupid can you be??"

They consider that a challenge

What a despicable so-called Justice system in this place....One kills a person/s on the road and 20,000 fine if unlucky.....:shock1: and of course no jail time if one drives a Mercedes......

Pardon me, was she aware of this Dark Ages rule in the first place?

Welcome to Thailand....Tell your friends how the Justice System makes all tourists welcome....:shock1:

16 hours ago, gdgbb said:

She hasn't received any penalty yet, she has to appear in court first for that to happen.

But she's already had two days in jail and had to fork out 100,000 baht bail money.  Get real man and stop trying to be as stupid as the powers that be.

16 hours ago, johng said:

Absolutely disgusting  I hope this gets the worldwide media attention it deserves.

Hardly. The worldwide media will assume it's fake news. Though I'm not sure anyone could make this up.

Totally disgusting treatment of a tourist causing no harm to anyone ! Surely on this basis they should imprison everyone seen by the side of a pond, lake or river, with a fishing rod, since they are basically feeding the fish every time the bait gets eaten off the hook. Some of the officials in this country just do not have the brains of a clam.

As has been reported in this thread, the sign warning tourists not to feed the fish is in Thai, English and Chinese languages only.

Death toll for feeding fish = 0 

Punishment = jail, 100000thb bail

Death toll in traffic = extremely high

Punishment for driving without license = 200THB

Amazing

I understand that feeding the fish in restricted, signed areas could possibly damage the reefs through distracting the fish from eating the algae hence possibly damaging the coral.

But I also, certainly, understand that by feeding the global media stories like this, without any common sense applied to the actions taken against a tourist, that this will do far more damage to the tourist section for Thailand as a whole.

If indeed signs are being displayed, then fine her. But why would they think to drag her through the entire justice system for this? 

Incredible!