Fish-feeding Russian tourist jailed in Phuket

webfact

Just now, janpharma said:

At Kao Chamao (national park in Rayong) they sell fish food and ecourage the visitors to feed the fish...Thai logic...and Thainess...

REPORT THIS IMMEDIATELY........................"no action taken"

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, daveAustin said:

They had to follow it up or it would mean loss of face. :saai:

Meanwhile, I hear tourism in Vietnam is booming.

I hear in Vietnam of many examples of International travel companies re-directing tourists away from Thailand into Vietnam. TAT needs to go check the "visa on arrival" counters at HCMC and Hanoi if they have any doubts.

Just give her a 5000 THB fine or something and let her go ... jail should be reserved for people that are a danger to people. This lady had good intentions and is no danger to society now that she knows she can't feed the fish, it was an honest mistake... Driving without a license however....

5 hours ago, alfalfa19 said:

the penalty is already significant.  she has to stay in thailand for some farce of a trial, paying for hotel, transportation, etc,  and perhaps losing wages for her job, or the job itself, if she has one back home.   because some assclown got their panties bunched up because she was feeding fish?  

There has been no penalty so far.

Perhaps none of those circumstances will apply to this woman, it is not unlikely that she may have planned her holiday to, coincidentally, stay long enough for her court date anyway.

4 hours ago, jbsears said:

You brought it up so you should give the examples. Don't think you should expect others to research your claims. From what I've read, prosecution of whistle blowers is more likely than prosecution of the polluters.

No. I didn't bring up the subject of other polluters but what I said is accurate (here's a clue, poisoned stingrays as just one example)  If you dispute it the onus is on you to disprove it.

While the lady may not have suffered a 'legal' penalty to date, she has nevertheless been penalised through having her liberty denied for 2 days (jail) and bail (fine) set at 100,000 Baht. Assuming she returns home as per her booked holiday (and assuming her passport has been returned), she will miss her court date and loose her bail. I wouldn't blame her if she does this rather than face the risk (no matter how small) of up to one year in jail.

So what happens to the bail money? 

Real OTT treatment of a foreign tourist who should have been let off with a warning or, at the very most, a B500 fine.  B100,000 bail and two nights in jail is ridiculous.  They have probably stolen her passport and will make her miss her return flight and be late returning for work to go to court and either have the case thrown out or get a small fine. Amazing Thailand.

4 hours ago, jesimps said:

But she's already had two days in jail and had to fork out 100,000 baht bail money.  Get real man and stop trying to be as stupid as the powers that be.

The only reason that she spent two days in jail is because she didn't come up with the bail money quick enough.   It's a shame that you are confusing reality with stupidity.

3 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

By the time the court case is concluded in March, when she goes to leave, she will probably be fined for overstay too........only thing is I am guessing if she is blacklisted, she will not care !!!

No overstay is charged for being detained by police after the expiration of a visa.

well Vladimir is one of the riches  persons was in  yesterdays thai visa   100000is nothing to him they should  ask him to help.   i am shure camaradskay will do

holding someones passport for a silly thing like that could cause and international incident as the passport belongs to the goverment  .

thailand is thailand and many strange things  happen but  if this hits the big news then sure tourists think again 

3 hours ago, maximillian said:

Two nights in jail, paying 100k bail, facing all this ridiculous procedures with court hearings, spoilt holiday, maybe missing her return flight etc, etc...  is penalty enough. Thailand's injustice and crazyness !

Spread the story all over Russia, warn them about the flaws of a Thailand holiday. Simply unbelievable...

"Spread the story all over Russia..."

Ironically, that's probably the best suggestion that's been made so far!

"Thailand's injustice and crazyness !'

Let's wait and see, no justice, or injustice, has been meted out yet.  The chances are that the worst that will happen to her is she will get a small fine and then her friends will get their bail money back.

18 hours ago, DavisH said:

Once it hits the Russian news,, that's just another nail in the tourist coffin...idiots !

Another nail in the coffin of the continually expanding tourist industry?   I don't think so.

So, if the Thai's are really concerned about maintaining the ecosystems of the corals and all the creatures that live within that community should they not make the area surrounding such reefs off limits to all ? 

Only recently it was announced that all fishing in the Gulf has been banned for a while as it is the spawning period for many fish and this will help maintain fish stocks over the longer term, so in the same vein should they not make the coral and surrounding areas made off limits to Thai's and tourists alike ?  

Oh no !! Wait a moment, that would impact on the boat owners livelihoods, can't be having that can we ?

Any boats operating in these areas should be made to display prominently, signs in all the popular languages Thai, Chinese, English, Russian etc etc, and hold the boatmen accountable for any infringements.

This is just chuffin stupid, I really do hope it gets World wide media attention and that tourist numbers plummet. 

2 hours ago, malt25 said:

"She hasn't received any penalty yet"

You think ! A couple of nights in the lock up not a penalty ???

Finding & putting 100,000 baht at risk is also, in my opinion, somewhat of a penalty.

Mental torment of the whole fiasco is also a bit of a penalty, don't you think ?

No, the couple of nights in the police jail was not a penalty, it was a consequence of her not paying bail and wouldn't have happened if she had paid it. 

The bail money is not "at risk" unless she fails to appear as required.

2 hours ago, TheMacMan said:

In a country where death, rape, violent assault rates are given a smaller fine and nothing changes, and feeding a fish is given such a harsh over-the-top penalty there is NO HOPE FOR LAW AND JUSTICE.

No penalty has been given yet so it's a bit too soon to claim no hope or injustice in this case.

2 hours ago, Happyman58 said:

Driver falling behind the wheel killing student no charge 500 baht fine.Women feeding fish 100,000 baht fine Now that makes sense

That doesn't make any sense either, she has not been fined B100,000!

48 minutes ago, Stevemercer said:

While the lady may not have suffered a 'legal' penalty to date, she has nevertheless been penalised through having her liberty denied for 2 days (jail) and bail (fine) set at 100,000 Baht. Assuming she returns home as per her booked holiday (and assuming her passport has been returned), she will miss her court date and loose her bail. I wouldn't blame her if she does this rather than face the risk (no matter how small) of up to one year in jail.

So what happens to the bail money? 

She didn't "have her liberty denied for 2 days", she didn't pay her bail for 2 days, she had a choice.

Bail is not a fine.

If she jumps bail of course the bail money will be forfeited, that's the idea of bail!

19 minutes ago, KIWIBATCH said:

Get this article out to the worlds media.......Thailand has just become the Hub of Absolute Stupidity (H.A.S)

So far it appears that the world's media consider this unimportant and irrelevant.

Archived